• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Repairing SI damage to spaceships

Can PC's with the proper skills repair SI damage to their vessels? I can't find anything in the book about it except for the costs to repair it at a starport. What would the cost be to do it yourself?

I'd rule PC can not fix the Starship SI damage by themselves. It isn't a matter of skills, but rather a matter of access to the specialized heavy equipment required to fix a vehicle the size of a starship.

I'm guessing the visual model you are using for PC's fixing the starship is guy(s) fixing a car in the back yard. Or perhaps Han and Chewbacha fixing the Falcon in SW:ESB. A better example would be fixing a house after someone has driven a truck through the wall.

Actually, I was thinking more of Hull Techs (Navy rating) slapping plating on the side of the ship to patch up the holes. In the case of damage that never did internal damage (and therefore never breached the hull), wouldn't it be a matter of replacing the damaged hullplates? Granted, some heavy equipment might be needed, but I'd think such could be rented from the starport for a lot less than the going rates for starship SI repair (Cr120 per point at a Class A starport).

I suppose it is possible, but don't forget the PC's still need to pay for the hull plating, plus delivery. Plus renting the handling equipment and welding materials. To make my job as a Referee simplier, I'd simply say they could do the work but it does not cost any less and takes more time.

And, were I feeling mean, charge the PC's several times the going rates for crossing the Dockworkers union at the starport.

What about bringing along a repairship, this would be a starship specifically designed to repair other starships, it contains a workshop, a repair crew and plenty of spare parts. This seems to be a reasonable thing to bring along, rather than having to limp the ship back through jump space to the nearest repair facility. Naturally the repairship would specialize in repairing a few types of ships, as their is room for only a certain amount of spare parts. A repair facility at a starport would be able to repair a greater range of starships.

Hello Tom Kalbfus, tjoneslo, and AaronKohura,

In theory, at least in the USN, a tender/repair ship, like the de-commissioned USS Simon Lake AS-35, is designed to support a specific class of vessel. Originally, the Lake was used to support the SSBN fleet and had a ICBM storage facility. During her boomer time she also serviced SSNs and several classes/categoried of surface warship. In the early 1990's she was converted to be a SSN tender and was stationed in the Med with me as a member of the support crew. During the 3+ years I was on board we provided support for the USS Bainbridge, several mine sweepes, and a couple of British warships. With a full machine shop the Lake could almost make anything to mil spec provided we had the proper materials. In theory a ship's crew can make, depending on how badly damaged, sufficient repairs to get to a repair facility. Replacing hull plating should be doable, however replacing hull frames or other major components is probably beyond the crews capability and spare parts.

During WW II one of the American carriers, can't remember which one and I don't have my references at hand, was damaged during combat. Her crew made a lot of repairs on the way back to Pearl Harbor. 72 hours after returning she was sent back out, with one boiler room still off line and yard workers still on board continuing to make repairs.

That's basically what I was asking about, repairing non-penetrating SI damage (burnt/cracked hull plates, missing non-essential bits that stick out, things of that nature). I would say (as the one running) that any critical damage (a hit that results in internal damage) needs shipyard/tender repairs, definitely.

Thomas Rux said,
Replacing hull plating should be doable, however replacing hull frames or other major components is probably beyond the crews capability and spare parts.
A space navy would be somewhat different than the wet Navy in that it would be easier to repair a spaceship in space, that it would be to repair a destroyer on the high seas for the following reasons:

1) Space is much calmer There are no waves in space, just vacuum, and spaceships don't sink, they can have gaping holes in their sides with no ill effects. A destroyer with a gaping hole in a bad location will sink and its hard to repair a destroyer while its sinking.

Unpowered spaceships will experience not net gravitational pull The lack of gravity will aid spaceship repairs, no cranes required, you just have to manuever the required pieces in space to the required locations, you don't have to deal with weight issues.

Morning Tom Kalbfus;

1) Space is much calmer There are no waves in space, just vacuum, and spaceships don't sink, they can have gaping holes in their sides with no ill effects. A destroyer with a gaping hole in a bad location will sink and its hard to repair a destroyer while its sinking.

My answer was not based on on any factors, like wave action, gravity, or a vessel sinking. However, my answer is based on my knowldege, dredged up from memory & the Blue Jacks Manual, of the basic materials required for Damage Control and what is carried on a vessel. Do you remember Apollo 13 and the massive explosion that cancelled the mission. I would say that the resultant damage had ill effects. Now lets consider a space vehicle, even one deisgned for combat, taking a hit that breeches the hull plating connected to structual hull frames. First the structual member will sustain damage from the initial explosion/impact of the weapon. Next, if there is a pressurized compartment and there is a breech the resultanr explosive decompression will cause more damage to the already weakened hull frame. If the compartment contained explosives, say a missile ready service magazine, the resulatant cook off causes further damage.

If a space vehicle takes a hit that knocks the maneuver drive off line and the hit location produces enough out venting to change the vector of thrust to making the vessel spin even for a short time makes doing repairs hard, don't you think. There are at least a few other considerations that I have had time to think about or research that apply making repairs just as difficult as for the "Wet" Navy.

Unpowered spaceships will experience not net gravitational pull The lack of gravity will aid spaceship repairs, no cranes required, you just have to manuever the required pieces in space to the required locations, you don't have to deal with weight issues.

Yep, I agree zero-g makes moving a 100-lb hull plate easier. However weight, more properly called mass in this case IIRC, has a great deal to do with handling the plate. That 100-lb plate still has the mass of 100-lbs which has to be started in order to get it from a stroage location and stopped at the repair site. My poor wee brain is running low on ideas and concerns about repairing space vehicles, okay the smell from thinking is getting very intense ;) so I better sign off before the fire department arrives.

Originally posted by Tom Kalbfus:
Thomas Rux said, </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr /> Replacing hull plating should be doable, however replacing hull frames or other major components is probably beyond the crews capability and spare parts.
A space navy would be somewhat different than the wet Navy in that it would be easier to repair a spaceship in space, that it would be to repair a destroyer on the high seas for the following reasons:

</font>[/QUOTE]

Back