• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Rapid deploy armor

Neat idea. Back in the mid eighties I can rember a product that provided a kevlar clipboard for use by police and customs officers at roadblocks where they stopped people to ask questions.

The clipboard was said to stop a .357 Magnum so if the driver or passenger pulled a gun the officer just slapped the "clipboard" over the window. Impact probably broke your wrists so the assailant undoubtedly would get you with the second shot as you fell on your backside.

Also led to the development of the Body Bag Armor; to prevent desecration of your KIAs. Now being field tested in Afghanistan.

Originally posted by Theo D Lite:
... Impact probably broke your wrists so the assailant undoubtedly would get you with the second shot as you fell on your backside.
Uh, no. Equal and opposite reaction, remember. Any bullet that would do that would shatter the shooter's wrist first. Probably sting like a sumbitch, though.
Back in the seventies there was a clipboard made of Lexan (polycarbonate) for police. You held it in your left hand in front of your k-zone while drawing your own gun.

Edit: I couldn't figure this,nat first. I mean, what PC didn't have concealable cloth armor already? But this bad boy adds rifle plates.

Originally posted by Uncle Bob:
Uh, no. Equal and opposite reaction, remember. Any bullet that would do that would shatter the shooter's wrist first. Probably sting like a sumbitch, though.
Well, if the clipboard is lighter than the gun, it will recoil more, but anything more significant than dropping the clipboard seems unlikely, a .357 magnum is only about 4 kg m/s.

Originally posted by Uncle Bob:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Theo D Lite:
... Impact probably broke your wrists so the assailant undoubtedly would get you with the second shot as you fell on your backside.
</font>[/QUOTE]Maybe it's one of those "movie guns", you know that ones that were presumably built for the World's Strongest Man plinking contest.

This might be a bit off topic...but in a shadowrun game I kept running into a 9 foot 6 troll who packed a really big m1911a1 .45...but it was scaled up to chamber a 12g slug round. Still got only 7 rounds in a clip...

Would that qualify as a "movie gun" ?

If it helps, he wore a burberry trench coat and talked like an extremely bass voiced Bogart :D

Way too cool! Definitely will be used in ALL my games...save for D&D

Nah, the second shot probably wouldn't come as the smart cop would be dropping down, if not knocked down and the perp would take a few seconds to re-aim, while you pull your own weapon or roll towards the back of the car. That is, if he didn't start driving away, thinking he had gotten you and if his own face wasn't cut to ribbons by the glass. Remember safety glass makes many small cuts, it just doesn't cut a vein or artery open like plate glass shards can.

Back