• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

question about the TML

M

Malenfant

Is it possible to subscribe to it via the web only? (i.e. so you just check the web archives for the latest messages, and don't get a digest or individual emails at all, but can still post to it?)

Not that I am aware of. I host the TML, but I don't actually run it. You can send an email to listmom @ travellerrpg.com and it should reach Tod who does run the TML.

Hunter

c'mon Hunter...
There is a link right there on the menu bar between CHAT and EBAY...
I go in there all the time to read TML posts from the archive that haven't yet made it into a digest (I learnt along time ago not to accept the individual Emails from the TML...It gets VERY cluttered)...I've never been asked for any password to get into the archive...
It is at most a few hours behind real world in archiving active posts...I'm thinking anyone who wanted to could read the TML...I know we from the list use it to search for long forgotten posts...

As for posting, I just email to
TML at travellerrpg.com...I don't think listmom compares posters to those signed up, but you never know...

-MADDog

That's what I do - I'm not subscribed to the list, I just read the archives (which get updated as soon as someone posts to it, it seems). I think there's too much stuff on it that doesn't interest me to be worth actually subscribing to via email though, but occasionally something shows up that I wouldn't mind commenting on.

Originally posted by MADDog:
c'mon Hunter...
There is a link right there on the menu bar between CHAT and EBAY...
I go in there all the time to read TML posts from the archive that haven't yet made it into a digest (I learnt along time ago not to accept the individual Emails from the TML...It gets VERY cluttered)...I've never been asked for any password to get into the archive...
It is at most a few hours behind real world in archiving active posts...I'm thinking anyone who wanted to could read the TML...I know we from the list use it to search for long forgotten posts...
I was refering to the ability to post from the web without subscribing. Yes the archives are obviously open to public viewing.

As for posting, I just email to
TML at travellerrpg.com...I don't think listmom compares posters to those signed up, but you never know...
If you aren't subscribed, you can't post, the system will reject emails from non-subscribers. If you are subscribed you will be sent either the individual emails or the digests.

Hunter

yeah...my bad...
You are correct, I posted from my alternate hotmail account and it never showed up on the list...oh well...
you could take the digest option and just massively delete them...it generates from 0-6 per day instead of the endless individual messages...

oh well.
-MADDog

Yes, you can turn off the email.

Subscribe and go to the subscriber options page. The first option is "Mail delivery". Set that to "disable" and the email stops coming.

As far as I could tell before the hosting change, it never expires you, so you can leave it that way as long as you want.

Is the Search function on the TML Archives webpage broken?

I tried searching for a few words there (including a couple of words - "warrant" and "matter" - that showed up in recent subject lines according to the archives) and it claimed that nothing showed up. It even claims that it can't find the word "traveller"!

It hasn't worked for me since around the change of hosting to here. Not been able to get any conclusive answer if it works for some or what the problem is.

I usually browse by thread/subject.

Casey

I'm beginning to wonder if the TML is any use at all from a Traveller perspective... most of the current discussion seems to be on things that are way off topic for Traveller (e.g. Star Trek, copyright issues, pronounciation of words...) - way too much noise and far too little signal for my tastes.

At least here on CotI the OT stuff is separated out onto the Random Static board...

There is a TML-Chat list but it doesn't seem to be used enough. :(

I've found some great ideas there but the TML has a Black Hole of Quality. The really good stuff often seems to disappear without comment. At least on places like CotI and JTAS they'll get some comment and are a bit easier to find. Especially since I can't get search to work for the TML archives. >.<

Casey

Well, in that case it doesn't seem to be worth bothering with...

I left the TML in a huff some time around 1998, over a petty issue which I can't recall now. But I haven't found much of use in the archives since then, either.

Every once and a while useful things show up...the TML isn't THAT annoying...
I've gotten several starships, my adventure hooks list, a writeup of the Emperors from the RoM (the guy is up to the 6th or 7th in line I think...) Various cool ideas for play...
The best thing from the list is the people - I've had numerous contacts off list for various reasons (trading Trav materials, help in Ship design, PbeM games, characters, etc...)

It's all in the quick skimming of the Digest, combined with knowing WHO posts usable info...

-MADDog

Besides...Loren hangs out there... :D

*da da bump*

Is the archives "pre" say 2002? Lost? I searched Google but couldn't find them anywhere?

Thanks!

[Edit: Another try on Google. I found an incomplete archives here

http://dbdev2.pharmacy.arizona.edu/archives/TML_Archives/

I think that link works
]

Mike

I occasionally amuse myself by posting information about new Traveller publications on TML. Usually there is silence, sometimes protests about me spamming the list.

Apparently news about Traveller product is spam but off-topic discussion is fine.

I don't know, I don't remember getting hammered when I subscribed for a while.

My problem was there there was just way, way, way too much off-topic chatter that badly drowned out the actual good discussion. I just couldn't keep up and wade through all of the crap to find the pieces I found interesting.

Too bad about the archives.

Subscribed today. Unsubscribed this evening after my inbox filled up with uninteresting posts.

One gave me a good laugh, though. Something about morality in Traveller, heh.

I think for our third adventure, our ref ran Leviathan. When my character got to Vior/Egyrn, and found out the rats had anagathic properties and that there was a fortune to be made, the first thing he did was to slaughter the native population, lol! Oh, man, what a bastard!

Back