• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

program for mapping

kafka47

SOC-14 5K
Marquis
Is there a freeware program out there that duplicates sector/subsector maps.** I was hoping to draw a fairly professional map but then the printer rejected it and asked for it on disk.

Plus, I would rather do it on disk.

**The hexagon thingy with different coloured or tinted circles to represent the systems.

Do you have the map on paper and were trying to scan it in? Or is it on a computer and needs to have the format changed (ie. a .gif instead of a .***)? Or are you making it fron scratch and need something to do it on?

I was looking to redo some of the Third Imperium stuff dealing with the Trojan Reaches.

I was under the impression both of those only did world maps...something that I might need later on...

I've got a pair of old Perl scripts that grab sector files and spit out color PostScript. They show the hex grid, trace the xboat routes (if your sector file has them), and color code worlds based on trade classification (Wa=blue, Ag=green, Ri=gold, Ri Ag=purple, In=black dot in center, Va=empty, otherwise=grey), but the output isn't breathtaking like some of the other stuff I've seen out there.

By the bye, I've run this script on most of the Imperium, Heirate, and Solomani space, and converted the output into JPEGs. So if you're not into perl, I can at least put up some of the images on my website. I did xboat routes for the core Imperial sectors and the Spinward Marches, so those images are particularly interesting to me.

Originally posted by kafka47:
I was under the impression both of those only did world maps...something that I might need later on...
With Galatic, you have to make the world map hex by hex, H&E makes a world map for you (but you can edit it or do one from scratch if you wish). Both programs were designed to make Sector maps. With H&E, you have the choice on whether you want a sector or subsector (I'm not sure if subsector only maps are doable in Galatic).

Back