• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Printing Differences Between Traveller Books

Traveller

SOC-12
Could someone tell me what the differences are between the 44-page books in the 1st Printing of Traveller and the 48-page versions that followed afterward?

Originally posted by Strephon Alkhalikoi:
Could someone tell me what the differences are between the 44-page books in the 1st Printing of Traveller and the 48-page versions that followed afterward?
Four Pages

Thank you, Thank you, I'll be playing here all weekend. Try the Veal.

The biggest difference I've found is that the 1st edition does *not* include the TAS forms found in the second edition... i.e. The character sheet, ships papers and subsector mapping grid - since these were initiaally offered as subscription 'goodies' on the paper cover of JTAS.

There is an illustration of A.L. Jamison in Book 1 that was dropped from subsequent editions.

Also I *believe* that there are some differences in the ship construction rules in book 2. But I havn't gone over them in that level of detail (I usually trot out the Traveller Book).

The easiest way to tell them apart is that the second edition books have "Book 1 - characters and Combat" or whatever on the top right of the back cover.

I would say that the only thing 1st edition offers is collectable value "it's a first edition."

And yes, I now have two sets so I'm looking to get rid of one.

hth

The copies I'm purchasing are for playing purposes only, so collectibility is irrelevant. I just tire of lugging around The Traveller Book all the time. I guess I'm spoiled with the LBB's, because The Traveller Book and the reprint series both are just too big to comfortably carry, especially if I want to travel light, as is my want.

Forms are not an issue, as I can just scan in forms from The Traveller Book and do the same thing. Or, if I'm willing to risk breaking the spine of The Classic Supplements I could do the same thing with Supplement 12. A better solution would be for me to just get Supplement 12 though.

The possible changes to the starship construction rules don't bother me too much if they don't invalidate the existing ship designs. If it's too much, I'll just use High Guard 2d Edition.

I'm surprised at the possibility of the weapon damages being different. Not a huge issue in any event. That's why man created the pencil.

I like the responses I'm getting and I encourage EVERYONE to keep 'em coming, even the smarmy ones. ;)

When I do finally receive my copies, I'll go through them with a fine tooth comb and see where the changes are. Whatever changes there may be I can then always glue into the books, since I have no intention of ever selling them, and they're not collectible due to condition.

I have two suggestions:

1. Regarding Bks 1-3, check out FFE0 aka the reprint of just the second editions* of the first three little black books - available from this site! Buy your copy now!

2. Regarding the forms, you can always download my PDF versions of most of the "classic" style forms - right here from this site! Start downloading!

Hope that helps!

* nb - For no apparent reason, Book 2 is the UK version. I couldn't find any differences other than amended printing details in the front of the book.

But but...the reprint doesn't have the classic black cover with the red stripe!

Seriously though, you raise a good point and plug the product well, but I find staple-bound books to be a bit better for my purpose because they actually lay flat. I don't think FFE0 can claim that, being perfect bound. And besides, I already have books 0, 4, 5, and 6 and would love to have a matching set. :D

Honestly though, if all that changed between the two editions is the forms and perhaps some subtle changes in starship construction and the like, I don't find that to be a big deal. And the price I'm paying makes the whole exercise worth my time.

Ship construction is apparently not subtle. Two big differences are fuel usage, power plant requirements and possibly engine sizes. (I don't have a 1st edition to double check with.) There may be other changes, too.

(Though the changes are not as bad as with HG1 -> HG2 where they basically tossed the first version to do the second.)

I guess I'll be pleasantly surprised when the time comes then. Thankfully, my copy of Book 5 is the second edition, so I can use that instead of the Book 2 tables. From your description, it's sounding as if the tables themselves were altered. It might be worthwhile to put out a paper with the changes between the two printings, just in case.

Or did someone already do that, and I just can't find it on the Internet?

Originally posted by Strephon Alkhalikoi:
But but...the reprint doesn't have the classic black cover with the red stripe!

...And besides, I already have books 0, 4, 5, and 6 and would love to have a matching set. :D
Both excellent points. I was lucky enough to score a set of Bks 1-6 (and a number of essential supplements) from the used section of my FLGS. They're kinda "lived in" ie thrashed...which is fine, because they're the set I use the most.

My thought exactly. I figure that I can use The Traveller Book and the Traveller Reprints to do research as needed, or to mine for ideas, and take the LBB's on "field expeditions", with notes from the supplements as needed.

One thing that I am aware of is that 2d Ed dropped all the damage modifiers for the weapons in Book 1. In 1st Ed some weapons had negative mods, which meant you could theortically get 0 damage if you got a hit (if you rolled all ones for damage). Since To Hit and Armor penetration were combined anyway, people asked how you could hit a target and still not cause damage.

Back