• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

One for the canonistas: Regina system stats?

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Malenfant

I know there's the system breakdown for Regina in the back of CT Book 6, and I have that.

What I'm curious about is if any other physical or orbital data for any of the worlds in Regina (including the mainworld) have been presented anywhere else in Traveller Canon. I'm guessing that Regina at the very least has had a writeup somewhere (surely?!).

I'm looking for things like exact radii of planets/moons in km, world densities or masses, orbital eccentricities, inclinations, axial tilts, gas giant diameters or masses in km, etc.

If anyone knows these numbers, can you post them here and cite the source please? (any published version of Traveller would do, don't care if it's CT or GURPS or anything else)

Thanks!

What you're dealing with right now is one of the better attributes of the UWP, it gives a "ballpark" range of numbers for the worlds. This may seem a hobgoblin of inaccuracy, but it allows individual referees to take the same data and customize it for their own games.

If you don't have exact numbers, make up some within the range described by the UWP that best fit your ideal of the Regina system.

Perhaps I should have made myself clearer.

I am well aware that I can make them up myself to fit the UWP, but I have a reason for specifically requiring any other published supplementary data that exists on any worlds in this system.

If it turns out that there is no pre-existing data of the sort that I require, then I will have to make it up. But I wanted to be sure first.

(of course, the comment that it allows invididual refs to customise the systems for their own games makes a complete mockery of what canon is. Either there's a fixed definition of what a given system looks like in the OTU (in which case there really is an official canon to refer to), or everyone can just make it up within vague constraints offered by the UWP (in which case, the parameters for all the worlds in the game are slightly different for everyone). Obviously it's been commented by many people before that we're all playing in our own ATUs from the moment we start playing, but it seems that the canon on the OTU is peculiarly fuzzy and ill-defined for the most part).

Anyway, if anyone has those numbers or knows where to find them, please post here (I'm thinking maybe something more is in the Spinward Marches campaign book? Or in TNE Regency book? Or GT's Behind the Claw?).

Nope nothing in the SMC beyond what B6 has. Less actually, but the TL went up to C.

So much for canon eh ;)

I'm thinking if there's anything official beyond B6 it would be in BTC but I don't have that.

Hm, I just had a flick through the Regency Sourcebook and couldn't find any extra info in there either...

It's a bit curious that such an iconic system doesn't seem to have got much specific attention... is there even a JTAS article on it at all?

Mal--MT-referee's manual, page 21.

Worlds in the Regina system are named for a variety of topics. Most planets orbiting Lusor (the primary star, and dwarf companion Speck) are named for persons and places associated with St. Regina Planets orbiting Darida (Lusor’s far companion) are named in the Vilani language. Although Regina boasts the highest population in the system, its companion satellites of Harcourt and Brumaire have been colonized, and the other satellites have been settled.

Orbit Name UWP Remarks
Primary Lusor F7 V DM companion ‘Speck’

0 Clement Y100000-0

1 Ausun Y300169-9

2 Burgund Small GG

3 Cent Y400367-9

• 7 Thermidor Y560000-0
• 3 Olybius R5022A-9
• 25 Alise Y20016C-9

4 Assiniboia Large GG

• 3 Redes F595269-9 Farming

• 6 Printemps F20036C-A N

• 7 Brumaire F564669-9 Farming, Colony, Military Base

• 30 Harcourt H43556C-A M Research Lab, Colony.

• 55 Regina A788899-C A Rich, Subsector Capital.

Companion Darida M6 V

0 Augur YS00000-0

1 Kirunda Y210000-0

• 8 lrkirka YS00000-0

• 11 Arkurer HS00137-9

• 13 Irgurkar Y10046A-A

2 Elazair Small GG

3 Lashir YS00000-0

• 8 Diuur lmar G2200269-9

• 9 Shamardae Y500000-0

• 20 Arapan Y200000-0

• 50 Edaku Y210000-0

• 125 Gagamshir F534328-A M Military Base.
Helpfully yours,

That's exactly what's in book 6, unfortunately.

I'm not looking for UWPs (I've got those), I'm looking for more specific info. Has there really not been a writeup of the Regina system where things like its exact diameter, or mass, or orbital eccentricity etc have been mentioned?

World Builders Handbook I thought may have contained some important data but doesn't other than a map. I'm off to hit the Travellers' Digests.

Huh, so it's barely size 7? Interesting... ok, well that's something at least.

And then it hit me, The Great TML Landgrab! Maybe there's something there

Here's the links (grabbed by Cheryl Glenn):

Regina/REGINA

System and Mainworld Data

Canon Data Sources

Aha, that could be what I'm after.

What is "Grand Survey", is that actually canon? It looks like it's by DGP.

It's definitely better than nothing anyway, and gives me something to go on. Thanks!

Though BTC says the diameter is just 6526 miles, and Grand Survey claims it's 11960 km (7433 miles). Given that the Grand Survey data is more complete I'm going to go with that instead.

I think Grand Survey (never had it) is system/world data built from World Builder's Handbook mechanics for sytem detailing. WBH being the MT equivilent of B6. WBH does use Regina as an example but not in ways that help you, Gov details and mapping. Well the map shows a hex scale of 1074km so that confirm the diameter (11,965km) for DGP at least.

And both are DGP so I'm not sure what that means for the data's canonicity. Something about it is canon and shouldn't be changed/contradicted but can't be used as a direct source due to property issues, or some such.

Originally posted by far-trader:
I think Grand Survey (never had it) is system/world data built from World Builder's Handbook mechanics for sytem detailing. WBH being the MT equivilent of B6.
Other way 'round: WBH is essentially Grand Survey and Grand Census (both of which were written for "classic" Traveller) combined into a single book.

Regina itself is detailed, soup to nuts, in GS. The book does not touch on the rest of the system, however.

I know that WBH is World Builders Handbook (I've got it at home) - it just provides detailed rules for creating worlds (plus IIRC stats for the Donosev?). There's no big catalogues in it or anything in that - I think far trader was right first time round.

EDIT: No he wasn't, you're right Shaman
. I misunderstood what the books were.

Originally posted by The Shaman:
WBH is essentially Grand Survey and Grand Census (both of which were written for "classic" Traveller) combined into a single book.
Ah, I think I see, I thought one of them had the mechanics of detailing worlds, and the other had detailed canon worlds (like what The Atlas of the Imperium should have been).

Originally posted by The Shaman:
Regina itself is detailed, soup to nuts, in GS. The book does not touch on the rest of the system, however.
So it's just a detailed example work-through using Regina then, no other systems or worlds worked up.

Originally posted by Malenfant:
I know that WBH is World Builders Handbook (I've got it at home) - it just provides detailed rules for creating worlds (plus IIRC stats for the Donosev?). There's no big catalogues in it or anything in that - I think far trader was right first time round.
Right, some IISS Survey stuff (Donosev, Hurricane class air/raft, a big grav survey vehicle, some other stuff and gear) and Scout service notes I think, but mostly just rules for world detailing and little in the way of examples. So I thank you for thinking I was right Mal, but I think now I was not quite right
Thanks for the clarification Shaman.

No, Shaman was right - G Survey had rules for detailing the physical stuff, and G Census covered the population-related bits. WBH combined them and updated everything for MT. Obviously a few bits got lost.

With DGP vs GT, I don't know which is more canonical.

Oh OK, fair enough, with a title like that it sounded like Grand Survey was more like a list of actual surveyed planets rather than a rulebook. (especially since Regina was detailed in it)

Sorry, Shaman!

All in all, still leaves things like eccentric orbits, and so forth completely out. Sounds like you've got work cut out for you Mal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back