• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

No powerpacks for Gauss Rifles?

Morte

SOC-14 1K
Gauss rifles are electromagnetic slug throwers requiring electrical power. All the various T20 publications I've seen mention magazines for them containing ammunition, but I can't recall any mention of power packs. So I guess disposable batteries are either integrated into the magazines or the individual rounds. Rechargeable batteries on the weapons would also make sense, but I've seen no mention of recharging the weapons.

Furthermore... The material does detail heavy power packs required for laser weapons. I presume, therefore, that either (a) gauss weapons require far less power than lasers for comparable damage, or (b) the books describe TL12 gauss rifles and TL9 laser rifles but ignore more efficient lasers and/or laser rifle batteries at TL12, or (c) it's just the usual crap.

I wonder if anyone can shed any light on these issues, ideally for T20 but failing that the older rules? Specifically:

1) Where do gauss weapons get their electrical supply?

2) Why are PSUs a much bigger deal for laser weapons than gauss weapons?

1) Either from a portable power unit (probably making the gun a heavy weapon used by squads and acting like machine guns, complete with a tripod to hole the damn thing together), or a seperate battery pack - and this assumes the gauss rifle uses less power than a laser rifle.

2) Um, maybe energy weapons are more destructive? More powerful, needing more power?

Well...

TNE/FF&S had a big part of the (TL12 or less) laser backpack composed of a homopolar generator (HPG), a kind of dynamo capacitor. The HPG drew power from the battery (or fuel cell) till it was charged enough for a shot.

At TL13 lasers get to cut the cord and become chemical cartridge lasers (CLC's) functionally similar to the earlier lasers but using a magazine type feed giving about 10 shots between reloads and about as big as heavy rifle magazines. There is also a small liquid nitrogen cooling system in both ammo feed systems.

Comparably Gauss weapons only mention a need for a HPG for crew sized very rapid fire versions and not the smaller handheld models which only need the tiny battery in the magazine.

Persoanlly I think early (TL12 or less) handheld Gauss weapons should have a powerpack for the HPG and power (maybe half the size of the laser powerpack since cooling is not needed and power may be less, and with a like increase in magazine capacity) while later (TL13 or more) versions would have the HPG as part of the weapon (like CLC lasers) and use the battery magazines with fewer rounds. That would tend to balance things a little imo. Oh, I also think Gauss weapons should be listed as having recoil (since they would).

Think that provides some insight into what you wanted, though it is from a TNE perspective.

Howdy Morte,

Funny that this topic should come up, while I am playing with the design sequence for a gauss gun in both TNE and T4. Both TNE's Fire, Fusion, & Steel (1st p. 104 & 2nd printing p. 104) and T4 Fire, Fusion, & Steel, pp. 37-38, design sequences has the battery incorporated as part of the magazine.

Originally posted by Morte:
Gauss rifles are electromagnetic slug throwers requiring electrical power. All the various T20 publications I've seen mention magazines for them containing ammunition, but I can't recall any mention of power packs. So I guess disposable batteries are either integrated into the magazines or the individual rounds. Rechargeable batteries on the weapons would also make sense, but I've seen no mention of recharging the weapons.

Furthermore... The material does detail heavy power packs required for laser weapons. I presume, therefore, that either (a) gauss weapons require far less power than lasers for comparable damage, or (b) the books describe TL12 gauss rifles and TL9 laser rifles but ignore more efficient lasers and/or laser rifle batteries at TL12, or (c) it's just the usual crap.

I wonder if anyone can shed any light on these issues, ideally for T20 but failing that the older rules? Specifically:

1) Where do gauss weapons get their electrical supply?

2) Why are PSUs a much bigger deal for laser weapons than gauss weapons?

Just a comment on 'battery in the mag' vs. 'battery in the buttstock'.

Battery in the mag is good, as it means you can probably slap in a mag and not worry about power (except for more stringent storage limits for gauss mags given they contain a battery).

BUT, it is a waste of poundage.

Look at it this way:
I'm a grunt. I can have a 1kg battery in my rifle capable of firing 400 rounds. Or I can have that 1kg split between my mags, no limit to fire. Doesn't really matter to me, much. If the limit is high enough to account for my needs (400 or600 rounds say...), then I can recharge between engagements, thus saving overall logistics weight as the battery-per-mag is not required. (I can bring in 10,000 rounds for each trooper on the transport, and still only need battery weight for my 600... in the rifle, as opposed to for all 10,000 in the mags)

I assume any future infantry with visors, comms, range finders, combat armour or battle dress, energy weapons, etc. is going to be power hungry and must parasitically charge up off of associated vehicles and ships frequently. Spec Ops types might prefer the 'battery in the mag' type, just because of their distance from power sources potentially. But they may also even use other kinds of weapons.

Evening kaladorn,

I wasn't in the ground forces, but growing up around Fort Lewis in Washington did give me an appreciation for your comments. In the T4 text the authors indicate that you can custom design a battery, though I haven't got that far yet. In addition to the internal supply you can determine the power in watts to run the gauss weapon from an external source.

Originally posted by kaladorn:
Just a comment on 'battery in the mag' vs. 'battery in the buttstock'.

Battery in the mag is good, as it means you can probably slap in a mag and not worry about power (except for more stringent storage limits for gauss mags given they contain a battery).

BUT, it is a waste of poundage.

Look at it this way:
I'm a grunt. I can have a 1kg battery in my rifle capable of firing 400 rounds. Or I can have that 1kg split between my mags, no limit to fire. Doesn't really matter to me, much. If the limit is high enough to account for my needs (400 or600 rounds say...), then I can recharge between engagements, thus saving overall logistics weight as the battery-per-mag is not required. (I can bring in 10,000 rounds for each trooper on the transport, and still only need battery weight for my 600... in the rifle, as opposed to for all 10,000 in the mags)

I assume any future infantry with visors, comms, range finders, combat armour or battle dress, energy weapons, etc. is going to be power hungry and must parasitically charge up off of associated vehicles and ships frequently. Spec Ops types might prefer the 'battery in the mag' type, just because of their distance from power sources potentially. But they may also even use other kinds of weapons.

Evening kaladorn,

I figure it's not so much a waste of poundage as battelfield necessity. I expect if you ask any infantryman they'll want the lightest baddest weapon possible. Saddle them with a rifle that's an extra kilo to enable hundreds of rounds of fire between charging when they are likely to only need tens of rounds in an engagement and they won't be happy. Add to that the recharge cycle and potential for a dead battery killing your whole weapon rather than one clip and they will be downright ornery. Or it could just be my opinion alone

With the backpack power supply it's even a better deal to cut the cord since you gain weapon mobility and elimanate entanglement and the potential for again killing the whole weapon with a hit to the backpack.

I do agree the bean counters will prefer the all in one deal of powerpack or big rechargeable battery so there may be room for both, each in it's own role.

Things to consider...
- How well will the batteries maintain the charge in long term storage? It is now common for troops to go into combat with ammo 10 to 20 or more years old. ONly the freshly created new weapons or an ammo that was extremely heavily used in the last conflict are less than 5 years old now. (It's is my real world job.)
- Do you really want to give the troop in combat another thing to remmber that you can avoid?
- If you can ship one type of item in place of two, it makes logistics easier.
- Murphys Laws rule in combat, make it fool proof because fools will be using it.
- Sooner or later, the weapon will be used by people who have little or no useful training whos lives will depend on that weapon functioning properly.

As long as the batteries will last in longterm storage, the preference is to have the battery as part of the magazine.

Well, to each his own. As a former infanteer, I've humped ludicrous amounts of weight. If I had an option which could reduce that weight without impacting my combat capability, I'd be happy about it. If I'm part of any high tech unit, power consumption will be a constant. Armour, accessories, etc. will be charged regularly. So, why not the weapon?

Will it allow the platoon commander to see to it that his unit has more units of fire available over mid-term time periods? Yes. Will it, with the right battery capacity, affect your short term combat ability? No.

And is it more or less failure prone than battery-in-mag? Dunno. I can see those ending up bleeding charge. If they do, that's a bad thing.

You can argue that a gauss rifle that can't function due to a dead rifle battery due to a lack of recharge is bad. But at the same time, you've lost your comms, your visor, and if you're wearing battle dress, your exoskeleton and computers. So you're hooched anyway if you don't have recharge power. SF or other units who are more mobile may tend to NOT use gauss weapons anyway.

Keep in mind another thing: A gauss weapon requires a fair bit of EM to launch the round.... something tells me that will be detectable. Maybe even just carrying the batteries around may be.

Of course, then you have to revert to a whole pile of inert weapons (eletrically) and no fancy kit.

Hello.
Just curiouse, not military.
How often does the military ship live grenadies or artillery shells, how offten are soldiers issued live ammo and then dont fire it or hand it back within a week, if your in combat your going to use it.
The sensable (so it would not be done)thing would be to have the power pack for sensors and everything and a battery in the clip with a connector on the rifle for when the clip is dead, but the rifle uses the clip power as a first choice, even sucking the clip dry to power the suit.
I would think detecting the magnetic field around a gauss rifle would be next to impossible (we can shield magnetic fields so the imperium should be better at it).
Bye.

Originally posted by Lionel Deffries:

<snip>

The sensable (so it would not be done)thing would be to have the power pack for sensors and everything and a battery in the clip with a connector on the rifle for when the clip is dead, but the rifle uses the clip power as a first choice
Slick! You're right it's sensible so it hasn't been done, but I expect (certainly now that you gave me the idea <yoink> ;) ) that more than a few veterans would have a jury rigged backup battery on the side of the stock so if they slap a dud mag in the backup battery lets them fire. Handy even for the odd not quite full power battery clip you might get now and then.

The em field bogeyman has been bantered about and I expect you would have a detectable pulse with every shot, but it'll be the slightest background hum admist the electrical noise of the BDs, gravbelts and G-Tanks in battle. If it's a sniper, the signal from his one shot is going to beat the round by a couple tics but unless you're the sensor tech it's too late to duck for cover. Besides if all it takes to freeze up your mercs is a few em clicks I can do that all day with a battery and some wires, then when you finally realize you're being spoofed and start ignoring them and come out from cover, <whine> <thock> you're dead.

The sensable (so it would not be done)thing would be to have the power pack for sensors and everything and a battery in the clip with a connector on the rifle for when the clip is dead, but the rifle uses the clip power as a first choice, even sucking the clip dry to power the suit.
How does the rifle "intelligence" retain power when you switch out a clip and you're not wearing BattleDress?

It would really suck to be in a firefight when the following happens:

- flashing ammo counter
- change up clip
- wait for rifle to reboot
- sight your target: take up the trigger slack, the "Shoot Enemy Wizard" appears in your HUD ("Hi, it looks like you're trying to shoot something. Do you want to do the following...") because you forgot to un-check the box which says "Show this window every time RifleOS 5735[TM] starts up..."

IMTU, Gauss rifles have integrated batteries in the stock, at least for the sights and "intelligence".

Originally posted by salamander:
How does the rifle "intelligence" retain power when you switch out a clip and you're not wearing BattleDress?

It would really suck to be in a firefight when the following happens:

- flashing ammo counter
- change up clip
- wait for rifle to reboot
- sight your target: take up the trigger slack, the "Shoot Enemy Wizard" appears in your HUD ("Hi, it looks like you're trying to shoot something. Do you want to do the following...") because you forgot to un-check the box which says "Show this window every time RifleOS 5735[TM] starts up..."

IMTU, Gauss rifles have integrated batteries in the stock, at least for the sights and "intelligence". [/QB][/QUOTE]

Hello.
The intelligence of the rifle is the person shooting it (i dont run on a battery).
I dont remember M16's having an ammo counter.
You must be using Hollywood clips.
Why would the rifle need to reboot (reboot what its a rifle).
The HUD should be on your head not the rifle and the power to use it shouldn't be in the rifle but probably in the helmet or a backpack or even a belt.
I have never read anywhere in traveller where weapons have intelligence (you can do whatever you like in your universe), i would assume that intelligence in a weapon would definatly contavene most of the AI laws.
Sensors like low light IR passive sonic would be very good in the helmet but not in a gun (it's less intrusive to turn your head than to swing a rifle).
About the magnetic field everytime you fire (what is the enemy firing, if their firing guass rifles how are they going to detect yours over theirs (theirs are a lot closer to them) if PGMP's forget it i see them as a magneticaly constrained stream of fusing plasma).

The above is not a critisism just an observation of how it works in MTU, as you said in yours guns have intelligence, is the intelligence palm print readers so only the registered owner can use the gun or like the downloaded personalitys in AD2000.
In combat (the palm reader would be a pain every time you fire, the gun will want to verify its you on the trigger) and (unless the rifles personality can supress the riflemans personality it would be like having a back seat driver in a running gunbattle). in a cars bad enough and your life isnt in danger apart from blood pressure.
I await you reply with interest (good ideas can always be stollen).
Bye.

How often does the military ship live grenadies or artillery shells, how offten are soldiers issued live ammo and then dont fire it or hand it back within a week, if your in combat your going to use it.
Maybe, maybe not. Maybe moreso in the US forces <grin>. There are plenty of times that the Canadians come home with their loadout (not if in a fight, but their definition of a fight often differs and their fire discipline might be a bit tighter - examples were in Kosovo where CF fighter jets were in some instances preferred to US counterparts because if they couldn't ID the target of a bomb mission due to conditions, they came *home* with the bombs.... apparently the yanks tended to bomb away anyway....). (Of course, that only follows the old joke about the Luftwaffe, the RAF, and the USAF....)

-----------------EDITED--------------------------------

Hello.
The intelligence of the rifle is the person shooting it (i dont run on a battery).
That's why I typed "intelligence". The quotes denote that I'm using that word in a special way. In all versions of Traveller that I've come across, weapons get progressively smarter with increasing tech levels. CT Book 4 specifically mentions that weapons above TL9 incorporate advanced sights and gyroscopic stabilization. I'm assuming that this means some kind of onboard computer, even if its just a task-specific, embedded system. While I don't have citations handy, I have also seen reference to integrated weapon and CES/Combat Armor. Presumably, targetting information is projected by the rifle to a HUD in the futuristic soldier's environment suit or combat armor.

That's specifically what I'm referring to when I mention "intelligence". It doesn't make sense to me that this continuous feed of information should be interrupted by the need to swap out magazines. Remember that gauss weapons have ridiculously high rates of fire. Any time you start playing rock'n'roll, you're going to be changing 40-round magazines like crazy.

I don't think that a rifle should leech power from the CES/CA since those batteries are already driving the HUD, an IR masking system, commo, etc.

I dont remember M16's having an ammo counter.
You must be using Hollywood clips.
Oh, I'm confused: I thought we were discussing Gauss rifles--electromagnetic coil guns with presently-unavailable power levels and nifty features such as gyroscopic stabilization. You know: high tech weapons which haven't even been invented yet.

It would seem to me that with all of the information which a 57th century infanteer would have to process, providing an ammunition counter would be a courtesy if nothing else. I mean do you really want to have to count rounds expended when your weapon is capable of 1200+ rpm? Would you want to risk having your clip run dry just as that Ine Givar terrorist popped around the corner and started hosing the area with an ACR?

Why would the rifle need to reboot (reboot what its a rifle).
I was being facetious, but see above. Any onboard electronics are going to need to draw at least a trickle charge in order to remain functional. I don't imagine that a 57th C infanteer gets a new rifle and then starts zeroing iron sights. Instead, "zeroing" the rifle is going to involve training the onboard computer system to manage the gyroscopic stabilization, HUD feed, etc.

If the only power supply resides in a magazine, your weapon loses power when the magazine is swapped out. What happens to all of the information needed to keep the rifle in proper operational condition? Try unplugging your PC and let me know what happens to its operating system.

I have never read anywhere in traveller where weapons have intelligence (you can do whatever you like in your universe),
"Intelligent" weapons are canonical--the canon sources just don't explicitly state what form this takes.

When you are dealing with complicated electromagnetic flux generation plus gyroscopic stabilization, automatic atmospheric allowance calculation... all the stuff that a future infanteer is going to be too busy trying to survive rather than worry about, then you must assume some level of computer automation. I call this "intelligence", in the same way that "smart bombs" are "smart".

Sensors like low light IR passive sonic would be very good in the helmet but not in a gun (it's less intrusive to turn your head than to swing a rifle).
Okay, but you can't sight a gun properly with a fully-enclosed helmet, such as your CES or Combat Armor requires. So how does the HUD "know" what your rifle is "seeing" and allow you to target accurately? The obvious answer is that the rifle is feeding targetting information to the HUD. Unless the HUD is going to incorporate a whole wack of processing power, plus storing ballistic characteristics, atmospheric performance, recoil stats, etc. for dozens of available weapons, it makes more sense for this targetting feed to come from the gun itself. This means that the gun has onboard electronics which interface with the CES (onboard electronics are canonical: how else does gyroscopic stabilization work?). This means that a gauss rifle, prevalent at TL 12+ is much more than an electro-magnetic M-16. It's going to have its own brain, though we needn't associate anything like AI capabilities. An onboard computer needs onboard power: thus it makes more sense to have a battery integrated into the gun.

The above is not a critisism just an observation of how it works in MTU, as you said in yours guns have intelligence, is the intelligence palm print readers so only the registered owner can use the gun or like the downloaded personalitys in AD2000.
While palm or voice activation may exist on some civilian models, this kind of technology would be useless for a military weapon. Yeah it's a good idea to have some mechanism which prevents a cop's gun being used against him, but the future infanteer has bigger fish to fry. The gauss rifle is going to be a weapon which, regardless of form factor, will provide a "standard" targetting feed to a standardized HUD interface. See GT:GF--infantry weapons must be standardized across the various armed forces both for cost effectiveness and for the efficiencies which come from standardized training.

Yup, the weapons will get smarter and they'll need their own onboard power supplies in order to stay that way.

Hello.
Ev'nin all.
The original question was T20 related so hear goes.
I agree if you are going to have power to run the combat armours sensors then you might as well run the gun of the same power source.
All infantry weapons only get the skill bonus of the person firing them so intelligence in the weapon would seem silly, the stabilization and laser designator and hud are standard for all guns so there addition is already included.
The majority of troops in the Imperium do not wear battle dress, the troops that do probably dont use gauss rifles.
Gauss rifles and combat armor arrive at the same Tl, but i cant find anything that says combat armor is powered though i do assume it has powered sensors so yes you could power the rifle of the suit though this would shorten the life of the sensors.
Traveller assumes all batteries are rechargable and how often do troops run short of supply, rumour running around is that the americans did in iraq and if they did they only had 6 months warning to stock up and still ran out or outran supply (which is the same thing to the troops).
Sorry some of my answers where a bit flippant, how do you know when your out of ammo - the gun stops recoiling (all things that move using outside energy give recoil, your walking has recoil, lasers would have recoil you would probably age and die before noticing it though (infinitisimal)).
How do you target the rifle - with a cctv and *10 reticule (currently available to military and anyone who wants to build one), this would be part of the hud. for non hud use probably something the size of a low light scope with screen on the back for aiming.
Sorry got to go, dont get very long to reply not my computer or internet but i am enjoying this, two or more people disagreeing and willing to discuss it.
Good for the game, good for people, good for COTI.
BYE.

I see a fundamental flaw in the reasoning in this thread - the idea that you need combat or powered armor to fire a gauss rifle. I believe canon is very clear on 2 things here:

1st - gauss rifles do not require the use of battle dress.

2nd - LBB4 mentions the battery as being located in the magazine.

That said, I want a backup cell in the weapon itself. A power link so that the weapon could draw power from a suit I was wearing would also be nice, I assume this is part and parcel of the data link built into the goun.

Second, as far as lightening the trooper's load, you could also argue that ammunition magazines are excess weight. There is a reason the quartermaster doesn't issue 3 of them and a box of ammo...

Finally, I love the "Shoot Enemy Wizard"
file_21.gif
I think I'll use that, along with the "GunSoft Update Page" that randomly pops up in the HUD instead of the weapon's sights! My Mac using player will love it!!!

It was always my assumption that the power for actually firing the weapon was contained in a battery in the clip (as indicated by several sources).

Regarding the other equipment often built into high tech traveller weapons (such as gyro-stabilization, advanced sights and so on) I assumed there would be either a small built in battery for each system or one that drove all of them that was 'seperate' from the power systems which actually fired the weapon.

The basis for this was that many of those high-tech goodies could also be added to existing weapons and (IIRC) were powered off their own batteries under those circumstances. Since no provision seemed to be provided or suggested for adding additional power supplies to the weapon to handle the add-ons, I assumed that those power sources were included in the mass/volume of the add on.

For most of my games exactly how the batteries are configured or whether there is an external power hookup doesn't really matter to my players so I don't worry about it. If I was running a more military (or otherwise firearms-related) campaign, I would probably deal with those things as a means of differentiating between the rifles produced by various different manufacturers.

For example, perhaps one of them has a single battery to run all of the accessories, but no external feed while a competitor's rifle has a easily used external feed hookup but uses seperate batteries for each accessory, while a third cheaper model only provides a few seconds of power for the accesories without one of the company's propriatery magazines which power firing and accessories except for the 'no more than X seconds needed to change a magazine'. ;)

Originally posted by Zutroi:
I see a fundamental flaw in the reasoning in this thread - the idea that you need combat or powered armor to fire a gauss rifle.
I don't think I was saying that. In fact, I think I was arguing the opposite, albeit obliquely. Book 4 does state that Combat Environment Suits are a standard loadout for the TL 9 infanteer, and Combat Armor becomes standard at [winging it]TL 11(?), battledress at TL 13+[/winging it] so it only makes sense that the military version of the gauss rifle would offer tight integration with suit electronics as a requirement.

My point was that TL 9+ weapons canonically have onboard "intelligence" and these electronics need to draw power from somewhere. Calibration info, etc. would probably be stored in some version of 57th century CMOS. If the only power supply for the rifle comes from the clip battery, does the rifle "reboot" every time you change out a clip?

I agree that this is all way too gearheady for everyday play but figuring out these details is one of the main ways in which I enjoy Traveller.

That said, I want a backup cell in the weapon itself. A power link so that the weapon could draw power from a suit I was wearing would also be nice, I assume this is part and parcel of the data link built into the goun.
I agree.

Finally, I love the "Shoot Enemy Wizard"
file_21.gif
I think I'll use that, along with the "GunSoft Update Page" that randomly pops up in the HUD instead of the weapon's sights! My Mac using player will love it!!!
Just imagine combat in TNE: you have to run a Virus scan on every mag ;)

Originally posted by salamander:
My point was that TL 9+ weapons canonically have onboard "intelligence" and these electronics need to draw power from somewhere. Calibration info, etc. would probably be stored in some version of 57th century CMOS. If the only power supply for the rifle comes from the clip battery, does the rifle "reboot" every time you change out a clip?[/QB]
Nope, the weapon contains a capacitor that holds enough charge whilst you swap mags. The high end Apple Powerbooks allow you to hot swap batteries without a reboot, so one would hope that Traveller tech would be capable of it too.

- Neil.

Back