• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

No multipurpose computer can run "Jump"...

womble

SOC-13
I'm puzzled about T20 computers. Or their design, or the way they fit into starships. Each model of M computer has a x/y rating for the amount of processing power it has, with x being its total capacity and y being the maximum size of any one program.

The Jump program is 30 PP, but none of the computers listed as standard designs has a maximum-size-of-single-process large enough to run the program... which is a bit of a shame since it's vital for Jump to be executed .

What have I missed?

Luck
R

Hi womble, just doing a search for an answer to another question I have and this came up. Its not related but I may be able to help you, and what goes around eh, so in the interest of karma for my query...

First, and I think someone else said it before so you may already have the answer, the Max PP is a skill based program cap only. For example if you were trying to fully automate a ship by installing say a "Pilot" program, "Astrogation" program, etc., each one has a cap and of course you are limited to the Total PP allotment per round (ship round, 10 or 20 minutes). Now before anyone gets excited about eliminating people from operations don't forget the computer has a pretty low set of ability scores, and all that hard and soft ware is gonna cost.

Second I think maybe you looked at the wrong line for the Jump program PP above. Its 30 PP for the J2 program, and a M2 computer has 35 PP, leaving 5 PP for the Generate and other required and/or desired programs like the Library, Anti-hijack, or whatever. So each of the Jump minimum computers provides enough PP for the Jump program and a few others.

My problem, and its more of a progession fixation I can get over, live with, or change for MTU, is the Total PP progression starts out so nicely at 7 more PP each model through M4 then switches to 8 more. Even worse, though perhaps more justifiable, hmm or less if we look at real world programming practice, is the progression for the Jump program. It too starts with 7 PP steps then goes 4, 3, 8. What's with that? The 7 PP step across the board would be nice, giving a free PP of 5 for each minimal Jump computer/program pairing. Oh well like I said its just a personal fixation with order, not that you could tell from the chaotic nature of my life

Hello womble,

Far-trader did a good job explaining how the T20 computers run programs. As you may have noticed I am the most vocal on getting answers to questions on all items concerning computers. Maybe, you can get a response from the creators of T20.

Originally posted by womble:
I'm puzzled about T20 computers. Or their design, or the way they fit into starships. Each model of M computer has a x/y rating for the amount of processing power it has, with x being its total capacity and y being the maximum size of any one program.

The Jump program is 30 PP, but none of the computers listed as standard designs has a maximum-size-of-single-process large enough to run the program... which is a bit of a shame since it's vital for Jump to be executed .

What have I missed?

Luck
R

Originally posted by Thomas Rux:
Hello womble,

Far-trader did a good job explaining how the T20 computers run programs. As you may have noticed I am the most vocal on getting answers to questions on all items concerning computers. Maybe, you can get a response from the creators of T20.
High praise indeed, thanks Tom Rux! If anything I understand and have faith in the computer design system largely because of your work. Don't give up plugging away for clarification and if no one else appreciates your work I do. BAM! Stars fer ya! What? I can't use BAM, well, how 'bout SLAM!?

Back