• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Mult-part survey

taishon

SOC-7
I am recreating a Traveller caimpaign after a 20 year sabatical and I wanted to poll old and new hands about the best rules systems for various things. Basically, I believe in grabbing the best from whatever sources you have. I happen to liek many things about T4 and plan on even incorporating Gamma World resources into traveller. So here are my questions;

What do you consider the best Travaller rules set for (please give brief reason if you please) ;

1. Chargen
2. World/Solar System Creation
3. Small Scale (typically surface or shipboard) combat (say between a squad of characters and pirates or some such) system..miniatures or otherwise. This can be the supplements, such as snapshot, or can be a core ruleset.
4. Space Combat (ship to ship and small fleet. Again, this can be a supplement or core rules set.
5. Task System (I happen to prefer T4 for reasons I will disclose later..yes I know this is against norm).

Thanx much

Thanx much

Originally posted by taishon:
I am recreating a Traveller caimpaign after a 20 year sabatical and I wanted to poll old and new hands about the best rules systems for various things. Basically, I believe in grabbing the best from whatever sources you have. I happen to liek many things about T4 and plan on even incorporating Gamma World resources into traveller. So here are my questions;

What do you consider the best Travaller rules set for (please give brief reason if you please) ;

1. Chargen
2. World/Solar System Creation
3. Small Scale (typically surface or shipboard) combat (say between a squad of characters and pirates or some such) system..miniatures or otherwise. This can be the supplements, such as snapshot, or can be a core ruleset.
4. Space Combat (ship to ship and small fleet. Again, this can be a supplement or core rules set.
5. Task System (I happen to prefer T4 for reasons I will disclose later..yes I know this is against norm).

Thanx much

Thanx much
1. T5 (If you like T4 you will like it.)
2. CT (keep it simple silly)
3. MT (Just detailed enough)
4. CT (keep it simple again)
5. T5 (if you like T4 well ... you get the picture)

_

I forgot to add one more;

6. Trade and Commerce rules

Any home brew stuff on the web can easily be included in the survey. Thanx much for the help. As I am ignorant..can you get T5 yet and if so where ?
Steve

I am recreating a Traveller caimpaign after a 20 year sabatical and I wanted to poll old and new hands about the best rules systems for various things.

Another chance to promote the RPSC system
especially as you seem to be a T4 fan ;)

You can check out related discussions here, here, and here where I throw in my own vote for an excellent system that should be easily adapted to most of the Traveller versions. It's "The Role-Playing Space Combat System" put out as a free for use download (pdf available here ) for T4. Copyright 1996 by Joseph E. Walsh. Collaboration by Eris Reddoch, Guy "Wildstar" Garnett (who did the great QSDS, also a download there), and Allen Shock. Though I never gave it a thorough playing I recall it worked great in the solo test run through.

1. Chargen? I still like MegaTraveller, with CT a VERY close second.

2. World/Solar System creation? CT all the way, though if you really want to get detailed there's that DGP stuff.

3. We used to use Snapshot, MegaTraveller worked well.

4. That RPSC System looks tempting here too..

5. I liked the task system from MT, but am looking at the BITS one.

Wait a minute! You mean one can still PLAY Traveller? Here I've just been reading the books! (JK - I used to GM from 1977 - 1990, but just ran out of time and steam.)

1. CT enhanced or MT [both pretty much the same thing]

2. CT, Book 6.

3. AHL, CT, and/or MT, depending on mood and circumstance.

4. Mayday, either straight or with HG2, again depending on mood and circumstance.

5. MT

6. Right now, I'm using a mix of CT [book2 and book7], GT Far Trader, and T20.

Quick question: How deep into rule sets do you want to get into?

I like CT's Book 7 merchant rules, for example, but others swear by the GURPS Traveller (GT) book on merchant ops. Same goes for planetary/system design; I like CT Book 6 as a launch point for my own imagination, others want the level of detail given in GT: First In or MT's Worldbuilder.

Being out of the loop for so long, I am unaware of some of the acronyms..what is DGP ?
I think I recognize the other acronyms.
Thanx,
Sal

Being out of the loop for so long, I am unaware of some of the acronyms..what is DGP ?
Digest Group Publications.

They were largely responsible for MT's task system and other details (editing?) of MT. I personally don't remember seeing a single one of the products they themselves published in my FLGSes during MT's day tho' I remember the ads.

YMMV on their products which from what I've seen and heard vary widely in quality and usefullness with a style often including high levels of detail which doesn't mix well with some folk. Main thing now is due to various circumstances their products are considered "fuzzy canon" and are being made obsolete.

CotI has had several threads on DGP especially in regards to their canon status.
DGP's CT era publications
DGP's MT era publications

Casey

DGP - Digest Group Publications
It was they who invented what was to become the MT task system, which some would argue (me included ;) ) is the best skill/task system to ever see print.

Speaking of task systems,
this 3d6 based task system , by Aramis (look a few posts down) is my current favourite.

Back