• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Modular ship designs

I have been working on a ship design (100dT to 300dT) based on the 30 dT cutter modules. I'll post what I get when I get it done. I'm using CT HighGaurd rules.

Being able to swap modules in and out could really give a ship a broad range of capabilities. It seems great for a band of travellers that take on various jobs.

Is there anyone out there that has done this?

Any other ideas for modules other than the ones listed in "Broadsword" or "Trader and Gunboats"?

Hi really good idea, the Reformation Coalition in TNE really liked modular starships/vessel designs etc, as just like you said they can be instantly customised for a specific mission. The most notable design was the 400 ton Victrix class sloop that mounted a 40 ton reconfiguarable (mission specific) pod.

So yes, i'd love to see your designs, even though i dont do much with TNE anymore...

Many Thanks

Yes, Gurps Traveller: Modular Cutter which has a variety of MCs and other modular ships. The Customs and the Survey Cutters are cool though I find the Assault / Stealth Cutter a bit too...non-MC for me. (a high tech cutter that can kill folk?! :eek: )

More modular ship designs are welcome. IIRC there's a Modular Scout design on one of the deckplan sites.

Casey
[EDIT]added additional stuff[/EDIT]

I have been working on a ship design (100dT to 300dT) based on the 30 dT cutter modules. I'll post what I get when I get it done. I'm using CT HighGaurd rules.

Being able to swap modules in and out could really give a ship a broad range of capabilities. It seems great for a band of travellers that take on various jobs.

Is there anyone out there that has done this?
well, there's these, though they're not in the tonnage range you want.

http://spacecraft.sfrpg.net/plans/02-MG1-01.htm

http://spacecraft.sfrpg.net/plans/01-RV1-01.htm

(ron vutpakdi's deckplans website is here, he's very much into modular designs)
http://homepage.mac.com/vutpakdi/RonsDeckPlans.html

personally I like the train concept, where a merchant captain owns only bridge, crew quarters, and drive sections, and simply picks up fuel and cargo modules to fit a given run. a cargo ship could hook up for jump 1 routes carrying heavy cargo, and next could hook up for a jump 4 with high value cargo.

Here is what I came up with. Enjoy!

I look forward to checking out the above links and I may need to check out the TNE stuff now. Thanks guys!

-David

M O D U L A R T R A N S P O R T
---------------------------------
TL - 13
Hull Factor 1 @ 120 dT
Configuration Factor 6 Flattend Sphere
Jump Factor 1 @ 9.6 dT
Manuever Factor 4 @ 13.2 dT
PowerPlant Factor 7 @ 16 dT producing
8 EP @ 4.2 Agility
Jump Fuel @ 16 dT
Purification Plants
Fuel Scoops
Bridge @ 20 dT
Computer Factor 2bis
Hardpoints 2
Weapons 1-Triple Beam Laser
1-Triple Missle
Vechicles 1 air/raft or
1 g-carrier or
1 ATV @ 10 dT
Quarters 2 Single Staterooms
2 Dual Staterooms

COST: MCr 129

===============================================
Modular Configurations

Up to 4 30 dTon Modules can be transported.
Here are some configurations and associated performance.

Total dTons 120 150 180 210 240 180 210 240
-------------------------------------------------------
Number of Fuel Modules* 0 1 1 1 1 2 2 2
Number of Other Modules 0 0 1 2 3 0 1 2
Jump Performance 1 3+1 2 2 2+4 4 3+1 3
Manuever Performance 4 3 2 2 2 2 2 2
Agility 4 3 2 2 2 2 2 2

With this information I believe one can infer the performance of
the other configurations. With these configurations a group of
travellers has a bunch of options. This would be a very
versatile ship.

Notes:
* Fuel modules provide 28 dTons of
fuel per "Broadsword" (don't have the page on hand).
x+y <==> For x jump performance, y dTons of fuel of Power Plant fuel is used!

==================================================
Issues
1) With 0, 1, 2 modules the total displacement is less than 200 dTons.
But, there are 2 hardpoints.
Per the 1 hardpoint per 100dTons
rule, does one of the hardpoints not function when
in these configurations?
2) To get the desired jump performance above sometimes the
power plant fuel must be used. Thus reducing the
longevity of manuever.
3) A Flattend Sphere configuration was selected to reduce the cost a
hair, but still make the ship streamlined.

Sorry, had some tabs that got stripped out. Here is the Modular Configurations table reformated.

</font><blockquote>code:</font><hr /><pre style="font-size:x-small; font-family: monospace;">

===============================================
Modular Configurations

Up to 4 30 dTon Modules can be transported.
Here are some configurations and associated performance.

Total dTons 120 150 180 210 240 180 210 240
Number of Fuel Modules* 0 1 1 1 1 2 2 2
Number of Other Modules 0 0 1 2 3 0 1 2
Jump Performance 1 3+1 2 2 2+4 4 3+1 3
Manuever Performance 4 3 2 2 2 2 2 2
Agility 4 3 2 2 2 2 2 2

With this information I believe one can infer the performance of
the other configurations. With these configurations a group of
travellers has a bunch of options. This would be a very
versatile ship.

Notes:
* Fuel modules provide 28 dTons of
fuel per "Broadsword" (don't have the page on hand).
x+y <==> For x jump performance, y dTons of fuel of Power Plant fuel is used!</pre>[/QUOTE]

Check out Tanuki's Traveller Lowport for some Cutter module variants with deckplans, including TJ's own roach coach, er, Mobile Bar & Grill ;)

I've toyed with a few variants of my own over the years.

One was a thruster module for more speed for a fast rescue boat, or blockade runner, or fighter, or just as a cool speed-boat. Basically an added power plant, fuel and maneuver thrusters, with some room left for comfort features. The maneuver thrusters were pop-out to preserve the streamlining for landing in atmospheres.

Another one had a few lifting variants. Basically a big winch with your choice of hooks, a net, or a platform. Originally envisioned as a space craft version of a jolly-green-giant (the helicopter) for extracting and delivering grav tanks and such. Of course it would have many other uses too.

Those are the two that stand out most. There were of course all the usual instant outposts, mobile hospitals, mobile repair shops, and so on.

I've done some more work. Here is the latest design that I came up with.

There are a few changes from my original design. First I removed the triple laser turet and reduced the power plant to account for this. I removed all of the extra fuel space that was allocated to give the base ship at least Jump-1. I beefed up the M-drives to give the base ship 6G.
I changed the configuration from flattened sphere to cone like the modular cutter. I also removed the space for the ships g-carrier.

I removed all this stuff because I though if one wanted all that stuff then one could just add a module. ;)

Ship Type: Modular Transport (base)
TL: 13
Hull: 90 dT
Configuration: cone
Jump: 0 @ 9.6 dT (no space for jump fuel with the base ship. If you want to jump, add a fuel module or two. See below for performance info)
Manuever: 6 @ 15.3 dT
Power Plant: 7 @ 12 dT
Jump Fuel: 0 dT
Bridge: 20 dT
Computer: 2bis
Hardpoint: 1
Weapons: 1-Triple Missle
Quarters: 2 Single and 2 Double staterooms
Cargo: 2dT
Cost: MCr 78

</font><blockquote>code:</font><hr /><pre style="font-size:x-small; font-family: monospace;">Modular Configurations

Up to 5 30 dT Modules can be transported. Here is the performance matrix for possible configurations.

# 0 1 2 3 4 5 : Total number of modules carried
--------------------------
M 6 4 3 3 2 2 :Manuever performance
C0 - 2 4 4+1 3+2 2+2+2 :Jump performance with No cargo modules
C1 - - 2 3 3 3+1 :Jump performance with one cargo module
C2 - - - 1 3 3 :Jump performance with two cargo modules
C3 - - - - 1 3 :Jump performance with three cargo modules
C4 - - - - - 1 :Jump performance with four cargo modules
C5 - - - - - - :Jump performance with only cargo modules </pre>[/QUOTE]Thanks for all the posts on the different modular ships. I have found a bunch of different ideas for modules here on the web. Here are a few links.

http://www.angelfire.com/empire2/savage/1WorldOrder/CT-Conversions-T20/T20_Subcraft/50t_Modular_Cutter_TL9.html

http://pages.prodigy.net/cyber0/THUDDD/thuddd11.html#sched

http://203.108.4.103/~iandl57/Page23.html

Enjoy!

Back