• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Imperium Symbols and Logos

alpha.gif
I?m looking for graphics of the symbols for the various Imperial organazations, like the scout service and the Navy. Is there cannon for this somewhere?

Thanks
Christopher Schroeder

The various GURPS Traveller sourcebooks that I've seen have different logos for the different services (I have only seen a few books) - First In (scouts) springs to mind as the example I've most recently looked at. That said, I'm sure some of the CT-and-still-going (hur!) guys on here can tell you the different logos.

Anyone have a website with them on?

Shane

There are several Scouts logos in Digest Groups "World Builder's Handbook" - these are probably also in GURPS First In.

Are there any good logos in GURPS Ground Forces?

Also, during the Rebellion (MegaTrav) Duchess Margaret used an eagle & shield logo on her ships: as she is closely related to the Emperor, it may be an Imperial famly symbol. Note that there is a "long-winged eagle" on the helmets of various dress-uniformed troopers - I am specifically thinking of a graphic, where a human and an Aslan are reviewing a line of troops.

My favourite logo is the "Starburst and unicorn" of the Domain of Deneb/Regency era: this may or may not be a offical Imperial logo for Duke Norris' family.

This post contains a small spoiler for Fate of the Sky Raiders.

Originally posted by travalv:
During the Rebellion (MegaTrav) Duchess Margaret used an eagle & shield logo on her ships: as she is closely related to the Emperor, it may be an Imperial famly symbol.

[...]

My favourite logo is the "Starburst and unicorn" of the Domain of Deneb/Regency era: this may or may not be a offical Imperial logo for Duke Norris' family.
The "Starburst & Unicorn" is my favorite too :D . It's not the Aledon family symbol, though. It was chosen by Norris to represent the Domain of Deneb at a time when he wanted to emphasize the domain's connection to the rapidly vanishing Imperium. (Whether he will chose it to represent Deneb in the GTU depends on whether Loren Wiseman thinks the different circumstances will affect his choice ;) ).

The bird in Margaret's symbol is not an eagle, it's a bird native to one of Delphi's worlds.

Hans

CT's Form's and Charts is another very good source. It has ID cards for the major merchand lines, like Tukera and Naasirka, plus Imperial Marine cards (Including the Duke of Regina's own 4518th Lift Infantry Regiment)...even the Traveller News Service.

at the far future enterprises site there are some of the mega corp symbols..

What I recall of canon for symbols indicated - at least with the Scouts - that there were different symbols for different offices within the service, but no overall symbol that specifically meant 'scouts'. If you really want one, I suppose you could make it up; I always said that services were indicated in general by the combination of color and sometimes style of uniforms - and maybe rank markings/symbols.

I generally will treat it as an IMTU item; one of these days in my copious spare time, I may write up my take on uniforms and rank indicators.
omega.gif

I remember most of the symbols were mentioned in the various source books. I think most of the symbols for the various sevices listed were in the shattered imperium "basic three books" material. I would look them up but my library is in another country and across a ocean. : )

What I remember (Correct me if I am wrong)
This may not be Canon
Scout Service: Red Sun
Imperial Navy: Gold Sun
Solomani Goverment: Green Terra zodiac sign?
Solomani Navy :Red or Gold Terra zodiac sign?
Solomani Internal Security was noted to use black

It was noted in the write up on the Duke of Regina's own 4518th Lift Infantry that the unicorn head was his own family/personal symbol. Can someone dig up a copy of the TAS Journal with that article?
The ponii was the symbol of the express boat/communications branch of the Scout service.

That's all I can remember right now.

Originally posted by Viridis:
It was noted in the write up on the Duke of Regina's own 4518th Lift Infantry that the unicorn head was his own family/personal symbol.
"The emergent unicorn (called the Bridled Steed) refers to the constellation spanning the Chronor and Jewell subsectors, and recalls the locations in which Huscarles fought and died during the fierce battles of the Third Frontier War." [Sidebar on p. 41 of Spinward Marches Campaign (speaking of the regimental crest of the 4518th)]

Hans

Dear Christopher -

I found a bunch of logos on Lars Adler's "Traveller Ancient Site", although I can't find it on the Web at present. :confused:

Jeff Z (Hi Jeff!) is almost correct - there are badges for a number of the offices within the IISS: the Exploration Office, Communications Office (poni), and Survey Office. Overall, the IISS uses a red sunburst.

I have a copy of the Communication Branch logo on the Express Boat page of my Library Data - essentially, it's the one from p 65 of the MT Players' Manual. I also found a good version of a shoulder patch from somewhere on Jeff Brissette's page, although he appears to have moved it.

Details on the sunburst are on the Imperial Sunburst page of the Library Data, with links to each of the services. For example, a red IISS logo (although sans accompanying text, sigh) is on the IISS page. The Navy uses a yellow sunburst; the Marines use maroon; the The Imperial Throneroom Banner is yellow on black; the official symbol has no colour.

The Bridled Steed (Hi Hans!) is on that page in my Library Data.

The Rebellion logos are on p 4 of the MT Referee's Manual.

There's a copy of Margaret's logo on my Delphi Project page. Here's the info about her Lowalaa Bird symbol:
"A bird traditionally symbolizing trust, caring, and loyalty. The Lowalaa has earned this reputation for its many positive characteristics. They are common pets, especially among the nobility, in the regions of the Imperium stretching from Delphi to the thumb of the Great Rift.
[...]
"The bird was adopted as the family symbol of Prince Asan, brother of Emperor Paulo III. After Paulo had ascended the throne in 1031, Asan was awarded a duchy in Delphi sector. Asan moved to Delphi and later married Marian, the daughter of Delphi's senior duke. This established his family line as the senior one in the sector.
"The current holder of the duchy is Duchess Margaret of Anaxias (Anaxias / Delphi 1724)."

My site is Beowulf Down.

Does that help? ;)

Back