• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

I love Random Encounters!

DrSkull

SOC-14 1K
I was running a Traveller session last night and a bunch of players were hustling a suspected pirate (who their patron did not want turned over to the authorities) up a lift shaft in the star port, and I just decided to give a 1 in 6 chance someone would get in the shaft with them, and it happened. I used the table from the MT referee's screen and came up with a Media Crew, what followed was a very amusing encounter with a thinly-disgused Geraldo Rivera that in the end took a lot of bribe money to authorities to smooth over.

It was a load of fun, and I never would have come up with this wrinkle on my own. Now our Geraldo will be plaguing them forever.

------------------
Dave "Dr. Skull" Nelson

Heh, that sounds like something out of anime: the annoying reporter who's hard to get rid of. I like random encounters, too - they tend to give you a starting point, but let your imagination fill in the blanks. Nothing like putting players on the spot with a bit of "fun" trouble: I can just see the camera and mike crowding in on the pirate who desperately wants to be left alone...
smile.gif

------------------
Wendell (IMTU tc++ !tm !tn !t4 !tg ru+ ge+ 3i+ c+ jt- au ls+ he)

Anyone got any ideas on new random encounters? Stuff that wasn't in the original random encounter table.

Also, how about Events?

Originally posted by plop101:
Anyone got any ideas on new random encounters? Stuff that wasn't in the original random encounter table.

Also, how about Events?
I always liked Gamelords' Startown Liberty. Tons of great encounter tables and random event too.

Back