• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

How do you make an Aslan Laugh?

GJD

SOC-12
I'm thinking of running a short adventure where my human PC's are acting as transport and stage hands etc for an alien comedian. They're going to get into a few problems along the way but my big problem is alien humor. How do you make an Aslan laugh? Do the other races have the same concept of humor that we do? I know Aslan enjoy story telling, and are very honour concious, so I'm guessing that gentle , self depracating annecdotes are the order of the day - that way you don't endanger anyones honour but your own. I guess that Ithklur and maybe Vargr would love slapstick. Any thoughts?

Originally posted by GJD:
I'm thinking of running a short adventure where my human PC's are acting as transport and stage hands etc for an alien comedian. They're going to get into a few problems along the way but my big problem is alien humor. How do you make an Aslan laugh? Do the other races have the same concept of humor that we do? I know Aslan enjoy story telling, and are very honour concious, so I'm guessing that gentle , self depracating annecdotes are the order of the day - that way you don't endanger anyones honour but your own. I guess that Ithklur and maybe Vargr would love slapstick. Any thoughts?
Vargr are all about slapstick. Think Benny Hill. Anything that involves people chasing other people.

When I think of Aslan, I think of that that stuffy English "Great Hunter" dude in the old Moose and Squirrel cartoons. (or maybe it was Underdog...lol.) ;) The one who always told those tall hunting tales. I can't remember his name tho...

Seriously tho, I think a male Aslan comedian's routine would mostly consist of funny hunting anecdotes. He'd probably be a famous hunter who has gone into semi-retirement to give the next generation of hunters some usefull tips and a bit of humor. (Think Croc Hunter...) "He was stalking the Crocorabbit like so, when suddenly, a rabid Hexapuma shot out from the bushes and snatched the Crocorabbit just as he pounced. He ended up landing on the 'puma's flanks. You should have seen the look on his face as the three of them vanished in the brush! Crikey! I was laughing so hard that K'Kree innards shot out of my nose." A female Aslan comedian's routine would probably ALSO consist of funny hunting stories. :D

-Maghwi

I think in an honor-bound culture, humour might safely derive from a social climber's awkwardness. The fellow who challenged to defend his families honor and made an even worse fool of himself. The joke would not, as is the American tendency, ever be on yourself.

I recall watching one of those Mafia stories on TLC or Discovery Channel or some thing and some mid-level Mafia enforcer had front row seats to a Don Rickles show. Don Rickles, of course, loves to insult people... so he's apparently bagging on this Mafioso for looking like, well, a Mafioso.

While the guy sat there and took it during the show, apparently he had to be restrained by several of his fellows who wanted to go and <b>kill</b> Don Rickles.

This is -not- the sort of humor an Aslan would use.

Originally posted by Maghwi:
"...I was laughing so hard that K'Kree innards shot out of my nose." :D

-Maghwi
I dunno about Aslan, but this sure as hell made ME laugh!
file_21.gif

Thanks, Maghwi, I needed that! :D

Does anybody remember the old "Hivers with a sense of humour" cartoon in JTAS - just two hivers waggling fingers at each other, then falling about laughing.

Vargr would love slapstick, and jokes about farting. :D

That and chasing air-rafts...

Originally posted by BigBadRon:
Does anybody remember the old "Hivers with a sense of humour" cartoon in JTAS - just two hivers waggling fingers at each other, then falling about laughing.

Vargr would love slapstick, and jokes about farting. :D

That and chasing air-rafts...
Also charisma based social climbing comedy based on some character with a nasty reputation or personality. Good example would be the Blackadder series. Some of the situations dealt with Edmund trying to better himself for greed, lust, wealth, or cowardness.

I think Vargr could identify with that kind of comedy.

Originally posted by Maghwi:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by GJD:
Vargr are all about slapstick. Think Benny Hill. Anything that involves people chasing other people.

When I think of Aslan, I think of that that stuffy English "Great Hunter" dude in the old Moose and Squirrel cartoons. (or maybe it was Underdog...lol.) ;) The one who always told those tall hunting tales. I can't remember his name tho...

Seriously tho, I think a male Aslan comedian's routine would mostly consist of funny hunting anecdotes. He'd probably be a famous hunter who has gone into semi-retirement to give the next generation of hunters some usefull tips and a bit of humor. (Think Croc Hunter...) "He was stalking the Crocorabbit like so, when suddenly, a rabid Hexapuma shot out from the bushes and snatched the Crocorabbit just as he pounced. He ended up landing on the 'puma's flanks. You should have seen the look on his face as the three of them vanished in the brush! Crikey! I was laughing so hard that K'Kree innards shot out of my nose." A female Aslan comedian's routine would probably ALSO consist of funny hunting stories. :D

-Maghwi
</font>[/QUOTE]-------------------------------------------------
Trokh is a two gender language dinnae fergit!!!
paragraph.gif
For RP-Ing Aslan Comedian(male):
self deprecating anecdotes about one's ihatei brother(s)-why they had to go and find "other lands!", why my wife does the shopping while I hunt...; Shaggy dog pun stories with gawdawful puns fer punch lines; what my sister-in pride bought today... etc.

paragraph.gif
RP-ing Aslan comediene(female): Why males hunt/ we control the $$$; Sharp dealing/best trades whoppers; and fer select aslani lady audiences, risque comedy...Human men, "Cheap, hairless-pink, toss away in morning."

on kinda a side subject....try to tickle a female Aslans belly...if she Purrrs and laughs, well...
you may live a little longer....if not, well...
your instant pink salami...ouch!!! :eek: :eek:
file_22.gif

Originally posted by trader jim:
on kinda a side subject....try to tickle a female Aslans belly...if she Purrrs and laughs, well...
file_22.gif
----------------------------------------------
Aye, its a risque business proposition, isnae it?

file_22.gif
Is that with or without the catnip? :eek:
file_23.gif
file_21.gif

file_22.gif
That's when Clothe or Mesh armor PJs and robes are needed. ;) ;)

To GAB:

on price of spice, agreed.
on cloth or mesh PJ's, a definite must have item!

enough of that before the moderator gets me!

Back