• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Hinterworlds Canon - Take Two

Flynn

SOC-14 1K
Good Morning, All,

I am in need of Hinterworlds canonical material, as many of you well know. I have gathered the following through the help and assistance of several of you guys, but there are still a few more sources I need to locate.

Here's what I have so far for the Hinterworlds:
“Hinterworlds Special Supplement,” Rob Caswell and Karl Johnson, Challenge Magazine #39
“Nullian League,” Charles E. Gannon, Challenge Magazine #44
“Toll Road,” Mark E. Gelinas, Challenge Magazine #45
“An Overview of the Riies System,” Charles E. Gannon, Challenge Magazine #48
“Behind Blue Eyes, Part 1” Charles E. Gannon, Challenge Magazine #48
“Behind Blue Eyes, Part 2” Charles E. Gannon, Challenge Magazine #50
“Behind Blue Eyes, Part 3” Charles E. Gannon, Challenge Magazine #51
“Stalkers,” Charles E. Gannon, Challenge Magazine #52
“Survival Margin,” David Nilsen

Here's what I have so far for 1248:
"Out of the Darkness," Martin J. Dougherty, Avenger Enterprises

Here's what I need:
“Tourist Trap,” Challenge Magazine #42
“Baker’s Dozen,” Challenge Magazine #47

Finally, did I miss anything? Just making sure, as I'm trying to be thorough here. I definitely want to produce a high quality work with this supplement.

With Regards,
Flynn

Flynn:

From the Wilds map in TNE Handbook, page 79 (deadtree version) there is a TL-A pocket empire in the "N" subsector of the Hinterworlds, a "stepping stone" polity along the HF-RC/FLW trade route.

http://www.downport.com/bard/bard/opal/opal10413.html

& then there is this fanbased data:

http://www.downport.com/bard/bard/peri/peri0011.html

While you may wish to fabricate from canon, or from whole cloth yourself, there existed a New Era PE in the Kandra Subsector.

Coupled with the TL-C of the RC centered at Aubaine, the TL-B Sitah Subsector PE of Renj/Sitah/Old Expanses, & this TL-A one in Kandra/Hinterworlds, and one further rimwards along the TL-9 baseline in the rimward end of subsector C/ Spica before reaching the Hiver Frontier.

Your PE's of the 1248 Hinterworlds would at least have trade corridors to the Freedom league via Sitah's PE, and the Hiver's via the Kandra PE.

Just thought you should know ;)

Game On!

Originally posted by Liam Devlin:
Flynn:

From the Wilds map in TNE Handbook, page 79 (deadtree version) there is a TL-A pocket empire in the "N" subsector of the Hinterworlds, a "stepping stone" polity along the HF-RC/FLW trade route.
Ummm, how do you know from the Map that it's TL10? Is there more info somewhere that is canonical? Or were you going with the fan-generated UWPs?

With Regards,
Flynn

Someone else made that call based on the TL-12 Aubaine; & the TL-11 Renj Republic /Syrim (Sitah (P)/ Old Expanses.

The other two are fan based UWP's, so your work can supersede / replace them. These main TL's were thus generated using a reverse logic of the canon phrase "the stepping stones" the Hivers founded enroute to the Dawn League worlds at TL-10, and TL-9.

In retrospect, it made a certain amount of sense for the Hivers to press forwards to a PE where they could at least still manage to reproduce J-3 at the time. AFAIK, the UWP's were generated with the TNE Handbook's rules, and not with the current OoTD / BotF 1248's tables.

Your servant,
of the TNE-TML past fan writing efforts

The reason I ask is that, when I ran my version of the Collapse/Recovery process, the TL for the sector was never higher than TL10 after Collapse, and that only in a few areas. Unfortunately, the worlds in that region didn't quite make it to TL9, much less TL10. If you shift it over one subsector, though, the PE in question becomes the Hiver stepping stone that I intended...

I will go back in and look at what I can do to address this. I may end up adding a polity in that area, just to make sure it's covered. That may change dynamics a bit, but I'm still in the early stages and changes like this can be done.

Thanks,
Flynn

Hmmm.

I did a version of the Sector myself (by hand, scratch paper & dice the old way) once, and have to concur with your TL-10 assessment. I had far more TL-9 surviving worlds than 10's. Of course, that was using 1201 as a baseline without 47-years of possible recovery affects.

If the PE on TNE-HB map page 79 is off a subsector, no big shakes--whats a version of Traveller without errata, after all?
file_21.gif

And outside of fans like you, myself, and the chap who worked that subsector up on that link, whose to say which is correct when the region went ignored by all save for us few fans?

Answer: the guy who gets it published--and that, will be you. ;)

Back