• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

High Temperature Lifeforms

shield

SOC-14 1K
Has anyone got / seen a realistic high temperature +200 degrees C lifeform I can use in Traveller?

Cheers
Richard

Originally posted by RichardP:
Has anyone got / seen a realistic high temperature +200 degrees C lifeform I can use in Traveller?

Cheers
Richard
The Thoqqua from the Monster Manual might be pretty good.

Cheers
Richard
Another thought is a gas cloud lifeform, since a high temp environment, to me, implies high atmospheric pressure...

In Line with Ellros, and adaptation of the ADnD Salamander (two arms, serpentine body, humanoid head, likes it warm!).

Seriously though, the 101 Lifeforms has only a couple that might qualify..

OK... really off the wall speculations (any resemblence to actual fact is purely conincidental! :rolleyes: )

1. Possibly silicon based instead of carbon based. Many of the silicon compounds are more stable at high temperatures than their more common carbon (organic) counterparts. This is not always true, but it makes for interesting pseudoscience.

2. Critters from high temp environments geared around more conventional body chemistry might be ectothermic... no need to keep yerself warm. If endothermic, then they might have ways of increasing body surface area for cooling (cooling fins!) or have increased respiration rates to vent heat quickly.

There was a short story many years ago. I can't remember the details. I think it was written by Isaac Asimov, and I think it was called something like "Out of the Sun." It involved a research station on Mercury, studying the Sun. While watching a solar flare, they noticed that it contained a life form. It was all about the scientists realizing that there were things living in the sun. It was really kinda sad, too, as they watched this doomed creature shoot off into space.

I don't know if this is the kind of life form you were looking for. It's not like your players would have much opportunity to interact with it.

remember my "gizzy"....she have to sleep in a Pizza oven tuned on at "HI".....came from a desert, waterless world, very comfortable at 250 degrees!!!...she also like to play with molton lead.....she get mad when you call her "hot stuff"!!!! :eek: :eek:

How about Ridley (the dragon) from Nintendo's _Metroid_ series?

Mmm, Samus Aran... ;)

Well, forgive my speaking my mind!

I need a reasonable sized beastie, no microbobes, a suitable for the front face of tidally locked worlds / mercury type planets.

I had thought of silicon based lifeforms, but have not idea how to proceed?

Cheers
Richard

I need a reasonable sized beastie, no microbobes, a suitable for the front face of tidally locked worlds / mercury type planets.

Cheers
Richard
What about beasties living under the sand? (Dune anyone?) Sandworms would be nice

Cheers
Richard
Are you look for sophonts, dangerous wildlife, or pests?

I'll talk to some of my players (I have two who are also a professional futurists, and thus thinks about things like this) to see if anything comes to their minds...

Looking for a beastie from dog sized to bear sized, mobile, animal intelligence, burrowing ability would be nice (and probably a survival necessity in this sort of environment.

Cheers
Richard

Richard,

Thoughts here are a predatory worm creature, that would burrow or a spider-type creature (that would dig a pit to hide in and wait for prey)

Hope this helps...

Greg

Gunner,

Thanks, anyone a good xeno-biologist that can dream up some realistic details for Gunner's two beasties?

Cheers
Richard

The Thoqqua fits in with the worm-type creature... 1 foot diameter, 4-5 feet long. Body is hot enough to melt solid-rock.

Originally posted by Ellros:
The Thoqqua fits in with the worm-type creature... 1 foot diameter, 4-5 feet long. Body is hot enough to melt solid-rock.
The stats for the Thoqqa are:

Thoqqua
Medium-Size Elemental (Earth, Fire)
Hit Dice: 3d8+3 (16 hp)
Initiative: +1 (Dex)
Speed: 30 ft., burrow 20 ft.
AC: 18 (+1 Dex, +7 natural)
Attacks: Slam +4 melee
Damage: Slam 1d6+3 and 2d6 fire
Face/Reach: 5 ft. by 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Heat, burn
Special Qualities: Fire subtype, tremorsense, elemental
Saves: Fort +4, Ref +4, Will +2
Abilities: Str 15, Dex 13, Con 13, Int 6, Wis 12, Cha 10
Skills: Intuit Direction +4, Jump +6, Listen +6, Move Silently +5
Climate/Terrain: Any underground
Organization: Solitary or pair
Challenge Rating: 2
Treasure: None
Alignment: Usually neutral
Advancement: 4-9 HD (Large)
Combat
When a thoqqua is disturbed, its first instinct is to attack. Its favored tactic is to spring directly at a foe, either by bursting out of the rock or by coiling up its body and launching itself like a spring. In either case, treat the maneuver as a charge.
Heat (Ex): Merely touching or being touched by a thoqqua automatically deals 2d6 fire damage.
Burn (Ex): When a thoqqua hits with its slam attack, the opponent must succeed at a Reflex save (DC 13) or catch fire. The flame burns for 1d4 rounds if not extinguished sooner. The burning creature can use a full-round action to put out the flame.
Fire Subtype (Ex): Fire immunity, double damage from cold except on a successful save.
Tremorsense (Ex): Thoqquas can automatically sense the location of anything within 60 feet that is in contact with the ground.
Elemental: Immune to poison, sleep, paralysis, and stunning. Not subject to critical hits.

In a JTAS (reprint) there was a critter that endured great cold, and was a digging arachnoid nasty (size of small terrier). Shouldn't be any great digs to make its warmer climed/ gaseous breathin cousin! I'll get back ta ya on this one.

I saw an interesting bit on Nature the other night... desert tortises. They're adapted to the heat, but have behavioral adaptions as well.

For example: Tortises have shells adapted to provide some protection from the sun, but they still take every opportunity to get into the shade... even to the point of ducking behind a park ranger whom just happens to be standing around long enough.

To critters living on the bright face of a tidally locked world, shade could be the difference between life and death. If used right, small behavioral factors like this can really mess with a party... like when all sorts of critters suddenly infest the underside of a starship because it provides high quality shelter... or a source of food, or both.

falykan: yeah could use that one

Liam: remember that now, hmmh!! have to have another look.

Darth: good idea, a shell covered crawler / walker. One question though - how long does a park ranger have to stand still before a tortoise uses him as shade (to the nearest day)!!

Cheers
Richard

Back