• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

High/Normal/Low/Zero G Adaptions + Zero G Combat changes?

vutpakdi

SOC-13
A question about adaptions has recently come up in our PBEM game. I'm running a Virushi, which come from a high G world (1.25 G).

You would think that, given that Virushi are from a High G world, they would be used to working in a High G environment, since it's normal to them. However, working in a 1G environment would be unfamiliary (relatively speaking, "Low G"). Now, what do they do if they want to get a feat where they are used to working in "normal" 1G or even Low or Zero G?

I see two ways of handling this situation. Both require the removal of the High G or Zero/Low G adaption (but not both) restriction.

One is that 1.25 G is "normal". Working in anything higher than 1.25 G by a sufficient margin would be considered High G (to a Virushi) and would require the High G Adaption feat to be done without penalty. Zero G / Low G covers anything less than 1.25 G (including 1 G).

Another way is to split the "G" adaptions into High, Normal, Low, and Zero G. Most characters start with Normal G Adaption as an inherent feat. Virushi start with High G Adaption as an inherent feat. Any character can gain the other adaptions as feats.

Another proposal (related) is to remove the Vac Suit skill prereq for Zero G/Low G. With grav plates, characters probably are going to be in Vac Suits, but there are situations where a character wouldn't require a vac suit, but still be in Zero / Low G: grav plates have failed, been turned off, or there are no grav plates for a reason.

Another suggested change is that Zero G Combat require Zero G adaption, but not Vac Suit (similar reasoning).

What do you think?

Ron

Another way is to split the "G" adaptions into High, Normal, Low, and Zero G. Most characters start with Normal G Adaption as an inherent feat. Virushi start with High G Adaption as an inherent feat. Any character can gain the other adaptions as feats.

Yes, I was thinking of something along the same lines, but haven't gotten around to posting it yet.

-Roger
<Doc Saro waves at Darishun> :D

You could use a five point scale (Very High (1.6 or more), High (up to 1.5), Normal (1.4 to 0.8), Low (0.7 to 0.1), Zero) with your homeworld as a starting point. Each instance of the Gravity Adaption Feat would then adapt you one step either way, depending.

Penalties for gravity:

Each step higher than normal = -1.5*
Each step lower than normal = -1.5*
Weapons with recoil (Low or less) = -2

* = round down

So, Very High-G charcters in a Low-G envrionment would be at -(1.5 * 3 steps) = -4.5 = -4.

This is just an idea, and I don't know how it would work in reality.

Take care,

Shane

Back