• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Hand Computer TL

migo

SOC-7
The copy of T20 Lite that I have indicates hand computers are TL11. However, considering we already have PDAs that do what the hand computer does shouldn't it be TL8, or TL9 at the very most?

That mostly 'pends. Traveller has always (well, since about 3 years after LBBs) had a pretty backward appreciation of how microelectronics is going to improve (along with 'traditional' ideas about firearms developments) so it depends how much you want to 'update' the assumptions with a modern appreciation of the power of silicon. the problem with moving PDAs forward a TL or 3 is that whatever's next (jewellry computers? Fleck computers?) has to get introduced earlier too, for consisteny's sake.

Well I can see sticking with the original TLs for a CT reprints, but T20 should be up to date by todays standards. At the very least technology that is available today should be available at todays tech level. It's obviously impossible to predict what will be coming about in the future but something based in hard science should be at least consistent with what we have now.

Those that created the original Tech Level progression have not elected to change it in over 25 years, and they've had plenty of opportunity to do so. My personal solution is to assume that, in the realm of Computer Technology, we are ahead of our Tech Level. This fits within the concept of the extended Technology profile generated by Grand Census and World Builder's Handbook, and is practiced in numerous other places within the OTU.

For example:
</font>
  • The Sabmiqys has TL17 computer technology and TL8 space transport technology.</font>
  • The Solomani of the CT/MT era have an average TL of 14, and TL15 or TL16 medical technology, and are noted for advanced electronics/computers as well.</font>
  • The K'kree of the CT/MT era have an average TL of 13-14, and their gravitics lag a TL behind their average.</font>
These are just three other examples just off the top of my head. I'm sure there are more.

Hope this helps,
Flynn

Originally posted by migo:
The copy of T20 Lite that I have indicates hand computers are TL11. However, considering we already have PDAs that do what the hand computer does shouldn't it be TL8, or TL9 at the very most?
An explanation could be that what is considered a hand computer varies dramatically (so, TL7-8 hand computers exist). The "hand computer" of TL11 vintage could have the processing power of a good sized BeoWolf cluster of computers today. At the same time, the "hand computer" of today wouldn't be considered fit to do more than be an embedded chip in a credit chit by TL standards.

Ron

Not if you read the Hand Computer description.

"The 'handcomp' provides services of a small computer, plus serves as a computer terminal when linked (by its integra radio, network interface jack, or by other circuit) to a standard computer. If an astrogator has a handcomp handy, the penalty for no astrogation computer when plotting a course is reduced to only +2 on the DC."

-Small Computer - PDA
-Serves as a Computer Terminal - Remote administation program on a PDA
-Integral Radio/NIJ - WiFi/Bluetooth
-Astrogation - Built in Map program/GPS in some situations.

Considering the weight, 0.5kg PDAs could do even more. They already have fully featured computers the size of a PDA running for $1500. A standard $500 PDA can do everything the hancomp does, a ruggedized version would go for $1000. Much less than the $3000 (1000 cr) or the hancomp. In some ways we're already more advanced than what a handcomp does, except we don't do astrogation, we just use a Garmin iQue to navigate around the country. We're at a TL8 era right now, the handcomp is more like TL7.5.

I just think that considering that the game is played by humans on earth, it should fit a geocentric viewpoint for ease of play. Therefore the TLs should fit with current tech trends and roadmaps. It's possible to use a higher TL for computers, in which case we'd be at least TL12 by now, but I think it's easier to think that we're all TL8 by now that we're in the information age. A TL 11 handcomp would be something that would be found in Earth: Final Conflict, at least, considering rollable screens are already being developed and having a computer the size of a small flashlight where the screen rolls out could be available within the decade. GSM.11 is already being worked on, so late TL8 should include compact personal computers that can link onto a WAN without difficulty.

The problem I see with sticking with the original TLs for computers is at the rate we're going we'll have TL 20 computers by the end of the century. Hmmmmm. The Traveller RPG is 25 years old, I think it could do with an update to the current times. It doesn't make sense to have a futuristic Sci-Fi RPG that's behind the times. I don't think it would have to change game mechanics much either. Just some simple TL reorganizing and updates. Perhaps this could come in a T20 revision that makes it 3.5 compatible (if there are any 3.5 rule changes that actually affect the D20 system beyond D&D). Will it be hard to convert from older material? No. It's just that something that was TL12 in the supplement is now TL8 or TL9. Same thing, different TL, and some new tech introduced to fill in the void after about TL 11 or 12.

Hello migo,

Please recall that T20 THB is based on CT and has not had any major overhauls from the Tech base assupmtions from 1978. Hunter and MJD have modified some of the basic tables, but not the Tech Levels that those items are based on, to allow for more detail. If the GM wishes to change the TL in her/his or his/her TU that is allowed.

Originally posted by migo:
Not if you read the Hand Computer description.

"The 'handcomp' provides services of a small computer, plus serves as a computer terminal when linked (by its integra radio, network interface jack, or by other circuit) to a standard computer. If an astrogator has a handcomp handy, the penalty for no astrogation computer when plotting a course is reduced to only +2 on the DC."

-Small Computer - PDA
-Serves as a Computer Terminal - Remote administation program on a PDA
-Integral Radio/NIJ - WiFi/Bluetooth
-Astrogation - Built in Map program/GPS in some situations.

Considering the weight, 0.5kg PDAs could do even more. They already have fully featured computers the size of a PDA running for $1500. A standard $500 PDA can do everything the hancomp does, a ruggedized version would go for $1000. Much less than the $3000 (1000 cr) or the hancomp. In some ways we're already more advanced than what a handcomp does, except we don't do astrogation, we just use a Garmin iQue to navigate around the country. We're at a TL8 era right now, the handcomp is more like TL7.5.

I just think that considering that the game is played by humans on earth, it should fit a geocentric viewpoint for ease of play. Therefore the TLs should fit with current tech trends and roadmaps. It's possible to use a higher TL for computers, in which case we'd be at least TL12 by now, but I think it's easier to think that we're all TL8 by now that we're in the information age. A TL 11 handcomp would be something that would be found in Earth: Final Conflict, at least, considering rollable screens are already being developed and having a computer the size of a small flashlight where the screen rolls out could be available within the decade. GSM.11 is already being worked on, so late TL8 should include compact personal computers that can link onto a WAN without difficulty.

The problem I see with sticking with the original TLs for computers is at the rate we're going we'll have TL 20 computers by the end of the century. Hmmmmm. The Traveller RPG is 25 years old, I think it could do with an update to the current times. It doesn't make sense to have a futuristic Sci-Fi RPG that's behind the times. I don't think it would have to change game mechanics much either. Just some simple TL reorganizing and updates. Perhaps this could come in a T20 revision that makes it 3.5 compatible (if there are any 3.5 rule changes that actually affect the D20 system beyond D&D). Will it be hard to convert from older material? No. It's just that something that was TL12 in the supplement is now TL8 or TL9. Same thing, different TL, and some new tech introduced to fill in the void after about TL 11 or 12.

Back