• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Favorite Nation of 2300?

Murph

SOC-14 1K
Texas, of course. Followed up by Great Britain. I always had a fondness for the British Empire.

Some of the nations were just a bit too contrived for my taste, but some were really nifty as well.

New Zealand of course. Limited published info, which means you can make it up without being contradicted. Also can hang out freely with pretty much any of the other nations, no French German type anymosity. British, Canadian and American also lots of fun.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TimAllan:
New Zealand of course. Limited published info, which means you can make it up without being contradicted. Also can hang out freely with pretty much any of the other nations, no French German type anymosity. British, Canadian and American also lots of fun.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Australia was fun. We got to be a space power AND make fun of North Americans. We also played in the American arm, mainly around Botany Bay of all places, although I remember a sh*tfight I started on the old 2300 mailing list when I said there was no way Australia would not be a republic.....

'I said there was no way Australia would not be a republic.....'

Why? Who would want to get rid of the House of Windsor - so intelligent and well bred!

Canada, naturally.

Followed by a United States of Europe (not cannon, I know but for me the Twilight War were the years of twilight when one saw the slow decline of the United States as the sole superpower and hegemon and the emergence of regionalized Europe).

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Elliot:
United States of Europe eh?

Sounds a bit like 1938-1945 to me. . .

(but then i'm English)
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh well, nobody is perfect!
*g*

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Elliot:
United States of Europe eh?

Sounds a bit like 1938-1945 to me. . .

(but then i'm English)
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

European Union, United States of Europe... No wonder Maggie Thatcher wants to join NAFTA (North Atlantic Free Trade Agreement).

Are you starting to regret the Chunnel, yet? "If five-hundred LeClerc tanks leave Calais at 2PM going Northwest, when is the earliest can they have target practice on Nelsons column?"
biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by Uncle Bob (edited 19 May 2002).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TimAllan:
New Zealand of course. Limited published info, which means you can make it up without being contradicted. Also can hang out freely with pretty much any of the other nations, no French German type anymosity. British, Canadian and American also lots of fun.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Have a look at these: http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~dheb/2300/NZ/RNZDFInt.htm
part of the Etranger (2300AD Military) Page at: http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~dheb/2300/index.htm

Bryn http://www.geocities.com/Area51/9292/2300/
UK in 2300AD/ Star Cruiser Source Page

Azania's my favorite. Some things are a bit off (Swahili place names like Nyotekundu in a Bantu-speaking state), but mostly it provided lots of opportunity to play something just outside of the normal but still spacefaring.

[This message has been edited by Nate Birkholz (edited 19 May 2002).]

We always found it a little odd that Australia lost northern Queensland and that Tasmania ended up as an independent nation.

Given politics in this country the most likely outcome would have been Western Australia to become independent (there have been at least 3 secession referendums held in WA, though none recently).

The split we cam up with had Australia divided north and south, the "north" consisting of Western Australia, the Northern Territory and Queensland. The south the rest.

As for New Guinea invading northern Queensland!!!

Originally posted by Antony:
We always found it a little odd that Australia lost northern Queensland and that Tasmania ended up as an independent nation.

There's been a lot of discussion of this over the years. What is thought to have happened is that when Australia disintegrated, 51 FNQR became the "government" of Papua/ North Queensland and went off on a radically different course.

The modern (2300AD sense) Commonwealth is a 2160's creation which saw the seperate states that existed in Australia recombined into a single nation (excepting Tasmania and FNQ).

I can find the discussions for you if you want.

Bryn

I would certainly be interested in the original discussions.

In a similar vein, a year or so ago up came the discussion here of Australia becomming a republic (again). One of the side issues raised was that if this happened the original Australian Constitution, which the states agreed to would be voided. There was some thought that this would mean each state would have to agree whether to agree to a revised one and if not the states would again be fully sovereign nations.

ALBANIA, of course.

Hey, It takes a lot to keep up with communism in a world like that.
And, it is the only country where a timetraveller from the 1870's would feel at home.

Originally posted by Antony:
In a similar vein, a year or so ago up came the discussion here of Australia becomming a republic (again). .
I know that Australia will be a republic within a generation in our timeline, but post-Twilight Britain, Canada and Australia seem to have gone ultra-conservative (or ultra-nostalgic) and stuck with the monarchy for several hundred years longer than they would otherwise.
But possibly republican forces are gaining strength again by 2300AD...

It's HMTQ's Jubilee next week, incidentally. :)

Back