• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Defining Traveller Psionics

Since I'm going to be designing my own Psionics rules, I thought I'd see if I could get a consensus. What - in your opinion - defines Traveller Psionics? Not game mechanics, but the flavour?

Psionics are Traveller's magic system and are designed to be totally outclassed by the available technology. They should be low powered, useable only a few times per adventure, but the kind of thing a thinking character can use to great advantage under the right circumstances.

A few examples:
The Jedi powers from Star Wars: A new Hope, but not any of the other movies or books.

The telepaths from Babylon 5 (But not Lyta).

Star Trek:TOS, The Psi powers of the Vulcans.

Hope that helps.

Good question!

Hmm, first gestalt, the paranoia, though that depends on the era. I like the Imperial propaganda of the evil repressive Zhodani society that controls it's citizenry with routine thought reading. This makes the average (i.e. not usually the PC's or important NPC's) fearful of anything related to psionics (remember the CT roll for reaction roll to psionics, lynching was popular, <eg> ).

From the other side those interested in psionics need to practice it in secret and are themselves a tad paranoid of the non-talented mobs, with good reason. I like the idea of the "Special" talent from CT and had some simple inspiration tables to define it. Sadly T20 seems to have dropped it. Easy to fix
file_22.gif

I do think it shouldn't be too hard for a PC to get it if they really want it, but make them give up something of equal value, or like I did, if they find training they are in but will be called on to help out the society on occassion. Usually at the PC's expense and often involving some risk. Member rescues, focus recovery, medical (psi-drug) transport, etc., all kinds of fun ;)

Is that what you were looking for?

I personally have been running a traveller/cthulhu game where I haven't been too pleased with the flavor of psionics per T20. I have been looking at the D20 Cthulhu rules and their Psionics system, and that seems to reflect the more real-world psychic abilities better than the teleporting etc.. of t20.

I would say it matters as to what kind of feel you want for your game. The Cthulhu stuff reflects what we think of psychics today. Traveller psionics are very alien, IMHO, which isn't neccissarily bad if that's what you want.

Psionics will be available in my campaign, with the warning that psis are generally mistrusted and treated as outcasts. But I'm going to require that at least one character in my players' group has latent psionic abilities, because the Ancient artifacts that I plan on them finding (wa-a-a-y down the road, yet) can only be activated psionically.

Dave

I think that some people have already hit on the idea that it depends on what type of feeling that you want for your game. I do tend to feel that players and refs tend to "over-engage" in the anti-psionic sentiment. Psionics in the Traveller world are relatively rare. Even in Zhodani society non-psi are the majority. What that means to me is that people in the Imperium don't go around looking at everyone and thinking "is he a psi?" People have to many other things to do. I noticed that a lot a refs play their Traveller games as if there is an active anti-psi campaign active in the imperium at all times and at the mention of the word psi people go into a which hunt frenzy. I just don't think it is so. Even today, with the terrorist attacks most people go about there lives not wondering if the guy on the corners is a terrorist. So what is my point?

Well, one is don't overdo the anti-psionic aspect. If your PC are on a non-Zhodani frontier and someone is suspected of psi it might take them a month just to find the equipment necessary to determine if someone is psionic. Don't forget being a psi in imperial space can be dangerous and the past has shown that it can be genocidal. Psis know this and will be on the alert for it. Give the psi the benefit of the doubt that they are taking precautions when using their powers. Two Psionic powers in Traveller T20 are very low powered, they don't need any additional costs. If you don't use one of your first feats for Psionic training, there goes 100,000 cr. If you are playing by the rules, at least by my understanding, the only time you can buy psionic feats is with the feats you gain every three levels. Finally, to use the powers cost quite a bit. Every use of an ability probably on average cost about 5-7 points that eats up a psis psi-points quickly. Third, I have argued before about psi being a replacement for magic and I don't think that it is any more magical than TL-15+ which almost every Ref puts in eventually or ancients stuff. What it does give are some interesting campaign plots and stories. Psionic societies in some ways could be modelled after magical societies and with all the intrigues that accompany it. For example, the nature of the Imperium is such that if a psionic socieity organized itself on a religious basis and took over or created a theocracy, the Imperium wouldn't do anything about it. Even if they did, they would be very careful about how they do it. I am sure the imperial economics will say that the Psi-Suppression wars were draining and that such activities should not be engaged in lightly. So maybe in this case you send in a small team to figure out if it is true, engage the populace to see how they feel about psionics and then propose a course of action to the Imperium. The PC can be the investigating imperials or protective society members. This is interesting, because if the people are anti-psionic (something that can not be assumed) then the Imperium may be able through clandestine ops expose this to the people. Ofcourse the psis will resist and the planet will fall into anarchy most likily. On the opposite hand if the people are pro or neutral, what is the Imperium going to do? If they expose them and the people say "so what they rule well" then the Imperium has just had a pie thrown into their face.

In the end I guess I am saying be smart about designing psionics.

Wasn't clear enough, was I?

What kind of powers would you consider to fit the Traveller flavour? What kind of learning curve? How frequent of use? Things like that, that can be turned into game mechanics.

Okay - here's what I've got in the way of a T20 Psionics sysstem. It's based loosely on the existing one, and I don't have specific powers yet, but I think it gives the basics well enough to build on. What d'you think?

Psionics IMTU

Basic concept: The basic concept of Traveller psionics seems to be one of great, but exhausting power. Telepaths can read minds with little difficulty, Telekinetics can pick up – potentially – unbelievable weights, and Teleporters can travel from place to place, but none can do so without quickly weakening their ability.

Furthermore, psionics have little actually battlefield use (if they did, the Imperium wouldn’t have outlawed them, I promise.  ) They can be useful in personal combat, but generally not in a full-out melee.

That in mind, I present the following system – for T20, but easily (I hope) convertible to other systems.

Talents. Every psionic possesses one or more talents. These are the ‘Powers’ of psionics. They are (in no particular order):
Telepathy – Telepathic talents can read others’ minds, and speak mind-to-mind. Some can even control other minds.
Telekinesis – Telekinetic talents can manipulate matter with their minds.
Apportation – Apportive talents can literally teleport matter from one place to another.
Clairvoyance – Clairvoyants can sense past events and possible futures.
ESP – ESPers can view or listen in on events at a distance.

Gaining Psionic Talents: To gain Psionic Talents, one must have Psionic Potential. While, theoretically, all humans – and most other races – have that Potential, in practice, few possess enough strength to be worth training. Psionic Potential is a Feat, and has certain Pre-requisites.

Psionic Potential (General Feat)
Pre-requisites: Wis 13+; Con 12+
Effect: A character with Psionic Potential gains a PSI score, determined by rolling 3d6 and adding the lowest bonus for Wisdom, Charisma or Constitution. This Feat is a pre-requisite for the Psionic Training Feat. This Feat can only be gained at 1st level except with explicit GM approval on a per-character basis. Once this Feat is gained, the character determines his available Talents, as described below. A character who possesses this Feat but has not been trained is considered a Wild Talent, and is able to use the skills associated with his Talent as Unskilled, though he may not gain any ranks in those skills.

Any character with Psionic Potential may seek out Psionic Training. There are several ways to gain this, most of them expensive. Psionic Training itself is dealt with as a Feat, with Psionic Potential as a pre-requisite.

Psionic Training (General Feat)
Pre-Requisites: Psionic Potential, access and acceptance to a training facility.
Effect: Psionic Training gives the character the ability to purchase ranks in their Talent skills as Cross-Class skills. This Feat can only be gained by one who possesses Psionic Potential and who has access – and has been accepted – to a Psionic Institute. Locating and gaining acceptance is covered in the section on Psionic Institutes.

Advanced Psionic Training (General Feat)
Pre-Requisites: Psionic Training, 3+ Ranks in the chosen Talent skill.
Effect: By undergoing Advanced Psionic Training, the character is able to convert one Talent skill with which he has at least 3 ranks into a Class skill. As with Psionic Training, the character must have access to a Psionic Institute.

Determining Talents:
Few Psionics possess more than two or three Talents, and only the most powerful possess all five. The number of Talents a Psionic can possess is determined by his PSI score, as follows:

PSI Minimum # of Talents Maximum # of Talents
3-10 One Two
11-13 One Two
14-15 Two Three
16-17 Two Four
18+ Two Five

Deciding which Talents a character has is another matter. The player may choose the Minimum number of Talents freely, regardless of the character’s PSI score. If the character can have other Talents, whether or not they actually have them – and what they are – is determined differently. For the second and any additional Talents, the player must choose the Talent, then roll a d20, attempting to roll under the character’s PSI score. Each attempt adds 5 to the die roll. Example: A character with a PSI score of 10 gets one Talent automatically, and the player chooses Apportation. For his potential second Talent, the player selects Telekinesis. The player rolls a d20, and if the result is 10 or less, the character gains the Telekinesis Talent. If the result is higher than 10, he may select another Talent and attempt another roll, but this time the roll is increased by 5, making it very unlikely that he’ll pick up that second Talent. With his PSI score, a third attempt is futile. A character with a PSI score of 18, on the other hand, gets two Talents free, and the player chooses Telepathy and ESP. Then he can try for others. His first choice is Telekinesis, and if he rolls 18 or under, he gets it. For his second attempt, he needs to roll (before modifications) 13 or less. For his third attempt, 8 or less, and for his fourth and final attempt, 3 or less.

Talent skills:
Possession of a Talent allows the Psionic to attempt any use of that Talent through an Unskilled use of the Talent skill. (Talent skills are exclusive skills, and can only be gained through the Psionic Potential Feat.) With training, the character may actually begin to purchase ranks with that skill. Talent skills gain a bonus from the Psionic’s Wisdom, and are treated exactly like all other skills. The only limit to the number of ranks a character may gain is the character’s level.

Using Talent skills:
Every listed ability within a given Talent tree has a DC and a PSI cost. When attempting an ability, the Psionic must first have enough PSI to pay the listed cost. If he does, a check of the Talent skill is made, against the listed DC. If successful, the cost is deducted from his PSI score and the effect occurs.

Making it easier, or less tiring:
Either the DC or the PSI cost can be decreased, at the expense of the other. If a character wishes to use an effect but pay less for the priviledge, he may do so, by increasing the DC by 3 for every –1 to the PSI cost. He must have enough PSI to cover the unmodified cost of the ability, however. Alternately, if the Psionic has more energy than skill, by increasing the PSI cost by 1, he can decrease the DC by 2, to a minimum DC of 10. He must have sufficient PSI to cover the modified PSI cost.

Regaining spent PSI points:
A character will regain his Con bonus in PSI points for every hour of sleep (minimum 1 point per hour). If awake but resting, he will regain PSI at half that rate. (A character with 1 point per hour for sleep gains 1 point per 2 hours resting awake) No points are gained if the character is active.

PSI drugs and Increasing PSI:
Some drugs can temporarily increase PSI. Anytime that PSI is increased beyond the innate strength of the character, make a Fortitude save with a DC of 15, plus the number of points of PSI above his base. If the save fails, the character loses 1 point of PSI permanently.

PSI can be increased permanently, but not without great risk. Certain drugs can be used that stress the character’s PSI potential. Each dose requires that the character make a Con check vs. a DC of 20. If successful, the character’s PSI increases by ¼th of 1 point. Each dose of this drug costs MCr2.

Psionic Institutes:
Locating a Psionic Institute is difficult (Unless the character is Zhodani). While not actively hunted, such acadamies are illegal. A Streetwise check, DC 25 is necessary to locate one – if it exists on the planet. (Note, on some planets, it may not be that difficult, while on others it will be easier. The DC given is the norm in the Imperium.)

Once found, the character must be accepted. This is a straight EDU test, DC 20. Reduce the DC by 1 for every 2 points PSI > 10. Strong PSI Talents tend to get accepted more easily than weak ones. Increase the DC by 10 if the character has any Military or Police background.

Once accepted, the character still has to pay for the training. Training requires a minimum of 2 months per Talent. A character may study in one additional talent simultaneously per point of his EDU bonus. (Thus, a character with an EDU of 18+ could study all five Talents in the same two month period, if needed.) Each month of training costs KCr50. This tuition can be waived through scholarship or outright grant.

Grant:
If the character possesses a PSI score of 15+ or three or more Talents, he might gain a grant. The player makes a check of the character’s Charisma or SOC (Player’s choice). The DC is 20. Subtract 5 from the DC if the PSI score is 18 and/or the character has all five Talents.

Scholarship:
The character may gain a Scholarship by making a Charisma or SOC test vs a DC of 15. These scholarships usually come with strings attached, such as a pledge to work for the scholarship agency for a specified time period.

Interesting. Couple of points, some from the T20 playtest for Psionics:

I'm assuming from the writeup that if you don't take Psionic Potental feat, you can never be psionic.

Talents:

Awarness: Powers include edetic memory (DC10, PSI:1, recall any event in perfect detail), suspended animation (DC10, Psi:1), stamina healing (DC20, Psi:1/10 stamina), lifeblood heaing (DC25, Psi1/LB), regeneration (DC30, PSI:10-15, regenerate lost limb), and anagathic (DC40, PSI:10, Remove all penalties from aging)

Energy Control: (I consider this to be way over the top, but other may like it). Powers include Temprature control (DC10, Psi 1/4 degrees), create light/darkness (DC10+, Psi 1+, candle light power, add more DC and PSI for brigher lights), Hologram (DC20+, Psi 1+, create simple illusions), Absorb Laser Blast (DC40, Psi 15, for a laser rifle, DC45, Psi 20 for a vehicle mounted laser, DC50, Psi 25 for a starship laser).

The way I'd like to run apportation would be, Psi 0+Range, DC 10+(weight in Kg/10), but the weight must include the weight of the teleporting psionic.

telekinetics would work in a similar manner, Psi cost of 1+range, DC 10 + (weight in kg/10), make additional skill check if doing fine work.

In the T20 rules we diched the PSI training as a feat because it made for more confusion than help. The D20 rules state you must choose the a feat when you go up a level, you can't save them. This means the character who wants to be psi trained must time their finding of the psi institute and training with their leveling up. Or the GM needs to allow them to take a feat early or let them save one through (potentially) many levels.

Determining which talents: This should be a DC check like all other D20 rolls. DC = 20-Psi Score, +5 per attempt after the first.

Using Talents: Have a consistent range chart for all powers used at a distance. For example, each 100m of range cost +1 psi point and +3 DC for skill roll.

Drop the PSI increase drug. There are a number of metagame reasons not to allow this, and it can be abused too easily. (e.g. What's the maximum PSI strength allowed?, It costs MCR2 for the characters, what about for the manufacturer? Won't they have a small army of PSI armed elite strike forces? What about the Zhodani?)

Make PSI a characteristic (like STR, DEX, etc) and allow the character to use ability increases to improve their PSI skill.

Location the Psionic institute: Subtract the world Pop Score (1-9) from the DC. Psi Institutes like to hide on high population worlds.

Make Acceptance to the Psionic Institute a PSI test, not an EDU test. They are tesing your PSI ability after all, not your education.

Make the Scholarship service mandatory. If you fail the grant check, can you then try for a scholarship?

Originally posted by Stormraven:
Wasn't clear enough, was I?

What kind of powers would you consider to fit the Traveller flavour? What kind of learning curve? How frequent of use? Things like that, that can be turned into game mechanics.
Well, your original post said " Not game mechanics, but the flavour?". You obviously have a different definition of the difference between flavor and game mechanics.

Originally posted by tjoneslo:
Interesting. Couple of points, some from the T20 playtest for Psionics:

I'm assuming from the writeup that if you don't take Psionic Potental feat, you can never be psionic.
You are correct, sir.

tjoneslo:
In the T20 rules we diched the PSI training as a feat because it made for more confusion than help. The D20 rules state you must choose the a feat when you go up a level, you can't save them. This means the character who wants to be psi trained must time their finding of the psi institute and training with their leveling up. Or the GM needs to allow them to take a feat early or let them save one through (potentially) many levels.
Not an issue with mine, though I suppose I should clarify it. As far as I'm concerned, once someone has Psionic Potential, they can 'go to training' at any time. Mind you, I wouldn't let them actually get the Psionic Training Feat until they could by the rules - and they wouldn't get to spend points on skills until they actually got the Feat, but I would actually expect most folks to get both at 1st level, if they were going to do it at all.

tjoneslo:
Determining which talents: This should be a DC check like all other D20 rolls. DC = 20-Psi Score, +5 per attempt after the first.
I thought about that, actually. I wasn't sure how to do it, but I like what you've done.

tjoneslo:
Using Talents: Have a consistent range chart for all powers used at a distance. For example, each 100m of range cost +1 psi point and +3 DC for skill roll.
Oh, definitely.

tjoneslo:
Drop the PSI increase drug. There are a number of metagame reasons not to allow this, and it can be abused too easily. (e.g. What's the maximum PSI strength allowed?, It costs MCR2 for the characters, what about for the manufacturer? Won't they have a small army of PSI armed elite strike forces? What about the Zhodani?)
I'd neglected to mention that, I suppose - but realise that each dose only has the possibility of increasing the PSI stat by a fraction of a point. So, assuming you successfully increase with each dose, it still takes four doses to increase PSI by one point. That's 8 MCr per point. And - contrary to what many will say - very few companies increase the profit margin of their product to a major amount. Of course, the biggest reason it would be that expensive is that it's illegal in the Imperium, so there's the possibility of abuse there, granted.

In point of fact, I'd intended a maximum dosage per lifetime of 12, due to increasing toxicity, so no one could possibly get more than 3 points, assuming they were incredibly lucky.

tjoneslo:
Make PSI a characteristic (like STR, DEX, etc) and allow the character to use ability increases to improve their PSI skill.

Unless I use point buy, I'd never do that. Since I probably would, it's not a big deal. And I certainly don't have an issue with using ability increases to improve PSI score, in that event.

tjoneslo:
Location the Psionic institute: Subtract the world Pop Score (1-9) from the DC. Psi Institutes like to hide on high population worlds.

Actually, I can see PSI institutes hiding anywhere - it's just a question of how they hide. On HiPop worlds, they can hide in the bureaucracy. On LoPop worlds, they hide in the clergy, or mystical orders. I don't see enough of a difference to support limiting them to HiPop worlds, and a very good reason that they would - assuming a galactic organisation - to be on LoPop worlds. Limited Genetic drift means stronger likelihood of Psionics, assuming they started with a good genotype.

tjoneslo:
Make Acceptance to the Psionic Institute a PSI test, not an EDU test. They are tesing your PSI ability after all, not your education.

No, they're testing your ability to learn. That's why I used EDU for the test. A low EDU character would be one - generally speaking - who doesn't have the discipline to study and pick up the lessons. They're less concerned about how strong you are (with the previously mentioned caveats) than with how disciplined you are.

tjoneslo:
Make the Scholarship service mandatory. If you fail the grant check, can you then try for a scholarship?
Well, the problem with that is what kind of service? If I make the Scholarship service mandatory, I also have to define what that service is. Leaving it open lets the GM determine how the scholarship agency wants to work. Maybe they're altruistic and only want to make sure you'll study, so you have to maintain certain 'grades'.

Well, your original post said " Not game mechanics, but the flavour?". You obviously have a different definition of the difference between flavor and game mechanics.
Well, I view 'flavour' to be how powerful the psionics are, the scope of psionics, and, in general, the kind of things that can be done with them.

Mechanics is how you translate the above into a given game system.

Originally posted by Stormraven:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />tjoneslo:
Drop the PSI increase drug.
I'd neglected to mention that, I suppose - but realise that each dose only has the possibility of increasing the PSI stat by a fraction of a point. So, assuming you successfully increase with each dose, it still takes four doses to increase PSI by one point. That's 8 MCr per point. And - contrary to what many will say - very few companies increase the profit margin of their product to a major amount. Of course, the biggest reason it would be that expensive is that it's illegal in the Imperium, so there's the possibility of abuse there, granted.

In point of fact, I'd intended a maximum dosage per lifetime of 12, due to increasing toxicity, so no one could possibly get more than 3 points, assuming they were incredibly lucky.
</font>[/QUOTE]This system introduces too much fidding number tracking. I'd change this (were I not to drop it all together) to:
PSI Increases: There is a complex medical procedure which reenforces the psionic pathways in the brain, giving a permanent psionic strength boost. The procedure is dangerous and risks burning out the neurons. (Cost is MCr6 for drugs, special machines that go ping, and experts to run them. Character must make a Fort Save vs. DC20, +10 per repeated application. Success means a +1 PSI permanently. Failure means {no PSI boost | Loss of PSI strength | loss of INT/WIS/EDU/DEX | loss of all psi abilities | Death} (GM select one or more).

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />tjoneslo:

No, they're testing your ability to learn. That's why I used EDU for the test. A low EDU character would be one - generally speaking - who doesn't have the discipline to study and pick up the lessons. They're less concerned about how strong you are (with the previously mentioned caveats) than with how disciplined you are.
</font>[/QUOTE]EDU is a measure of what you have learned. Testing ability to learn new things would be either INT (for general quickness) or WIS (for strength of mind). I'd select WIS, INT, or PSI over EDU.

This system introduces too much fidding number tracking. I'd change this (were I not to drop it all together) to:
PSI Increases: There is a complex medical procedure which reenforces the psionic pathways in the brain, giving a permanent psionic strength boost. The procedure is dangerous and risks burning out the neurons. (Cost is MCr6 for drugs, special machines that go ping, and experts to run them. Character must make a Fort Save vs. DC20, +10 per repeated application. Success means a +1 PSI permanently. Failure means {no PSI boost | Loss of PSI strength | loss of INT/WIS/EDU/DEX | loss of all psi abilities | Death} (GM select one or more).
Interesting. I think it really depends on the GM there. I didn't really consider the drug too number intensive, but I can see where you're coming from. Either way works for me.

tjoneslo:
EDU is a measure of what you have learned. Testing ability to learn new things would be either INT (for general quickness) or WIS (for strength of mind). I'd select WIS, INT, or PSI over EDU.
I might see Wisdom, but I hold to my other viewpoint, too. Granted, it's a total score, per the books, but what does that total score indicate? What you've learned in how much time, basically. The higher your EDU - especially compared to age - the better your ability to learn new things and incorporate them. Still, I'd probably allow a character to use the higher of EDU or Wis to modify that.

ImTu , I'll allow psionics to my players, but they'll almost certainly have to get their training in non-Imperial space.

As I see it, the Imperium must have a zero-tolerance policy towards psionics or the Imperial family themselves must be powerful 'psions' (what is the noun for psionic person?).

I can't see any other way for those in power in the Imperium to maintain their power. Mindreading in particular would make Zhodani espionage so powerful that the Imperium simply couldn't survive. The Imperial royalty and nobility couldn't simply recruit and train a telepathic spy corps of their own - the spy corps would soon realize that there was nothing preventing them from taking over.

The only way I have been able to envision an Imperium surviving the pressure of Zhodani espionage is as follows: the Imperium has long since developed cheap and effective psi-detectors that they have dispersed in large numbers throughout Imperial space; they have instituted the death penalty for any and all psionic activity; and they actively promote antipsionic sympathies, both by demonizing the Zhodani and by touting the freedom local worlds have to govern themselves as they wish. Imperials who do not care for the way their world is run at least nominally have the option to move to a world that does suit them. People living in Zhodani space have no such option, or at least so the Imperials say.

Granted, one could simply posit a royal family composed of powerful psions, but I find it more appealing to have them be radically different from the Zhodani.

I envision the psi-detectors as being ubiquitous, but fairly short-ranged. A psi-talented PC could probably get away with using her powers in a rural setting, or in a warehouse district if no cops were around...but it's probalbly always risky except on your own ship with lots of space (or better yet jump-space) around you.

Hello fellow Travellers,

One of the things I have done in MTU is introduce "Lens" ala EE Doc Smith's Lensmen books. Basicly the Ancients created a psionic focusing battery that stores about 180 Power Points & regenerates at a rate of 2 PP per hour. Basicly giving one a lot of power points, but also making sure that while you have a lot of power you cannot use it all at once... Plus, they are scattered in charted space & every nation can find them. And, a group of Psionics have banded together to keep the peace & wear lens & are known as Lensmen among themselves. This has allowed me to have an Imperium Human work with a Zhodani Human with little friction.

Secondly, every Psionic Ability is controled by a different part of the brain, so you will have different Power Points for each power, based upon your Psi Stat. In other words if your Psi Stat is 9 then you will have at least 9 Power Points for each ability, maybe higher.

Third, I allow Sorcerers in my game to simulate the old "Special" catagory from CT. Basicly this allows me to have Magic while still basing it on Psionics.

I've always assumed that the list of psionic abilities described in "Book 3: Worlds and Adventure" only reflects what player character can learn at the average underground Psionics Institute within the Imperium -- which is to say not very much! I also like to think that psionic power and "Sanity" (in the Call of Cthulhu sense) ought to be inversely proportional. As psionicists become more powerful, their thoughts, motivations, and perspectives on the universe become increasingly difficult for ordinary sentient beings to understand and sympathize with. Perhaps the Imperium really did intend to unleash widespread anti-psionic hysteria back in the 800s. Perhaps somebody got a brief glimpse of the "Secret Masters" of Zhodane, recoiled in shock and horror, and decided to do something drastic...

Originally posted by Legate Legion:
every Psionic Ability is controled by a different part of the brain,
Do you have a map as to which parts of the brain do it? I can envision a psionic losing an ability after taking an injury. Or, having it removed by some of those scurrilous anti-psi folks.

Back