• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

General Secret Societies IYTU*?

Spinward Scout

SOC-14 5K
Baron
Someone asked on Reddit about Secret Societies in Traveller. Here's what I responded with:
_____
  • The Ine Givar (Zhodani loving terrorists) were supposed to be secret until revealed.
  • Psionics Institutes are supposed to be secret since they're illegal.
  • The Illuminati? That could still be around.
  • Joe's Starport Gambling Den is not so much secret as you have to be on the list.
  • Pirates, Thieves, and other Criminals are secretive until they're not any more.
  • What's really the difference between a Private Club and a Secret Club?
  • Is it more important that the activities are secret?
So what Secret Societies do you have IYTU*?

*In Your Traveller Universe

Don't forget Grandfather's network of agents...

IMTU:

The Orchard from/inspired by the Starhunter TV show is a thing.
The Ishtar Collective from Destiny is a thing
The "Fellowship of Free Travellers" is a pretty much the Freemasons, with hidden psionic groups inside of it related to the Pilgrims of Wing Commander.
Abstergo from the Assassin's Creed setting is a thing
The Exotic Liberation Front (ELF) is similar to the Ine Givar, but for a IMTU human-animal chimera's
Black Sun is the big, organized crime cartel, "the 13th Imperial Megacorp"
Meliorare Society from the Flinx books - pro-psionic eugenicists
Sanctaterra is a neo-luddite organization
ZFT from the Fringe TV show is also a thing

D.

The Order of the White Star, from Challenge magazine, an outlawed order of psionic knights that still exists, headquartered on Caladbolg. And I've got the knighthood card from Marc to prove it!
For the same token, their ancestral enemies: the Order of the Red Star...

(BTW, they are not from Challenge, but from a TD adventure appearing in issues 14-17 (though they appear in issue 16)

In the Solomani Rim: the Phoenix Project remains. I know they are supposed to be destroyed, but...

Last edited:
An oldie, but a goodie ... The Octagon Society. :cool:

If you don't know what they're doing now, that just means they're doing a good job of keeping their secret society SECRET. 🤫
Officially, they went bankrupt centurues ago, and the TAS bought some if their assets out of receivership.

Unofficially? Consider who they were the cover operation for, and adjust your expectations accordingly. ;)

sca-new-logo-blue@4x.png

GURPS Traveller: Ground Forces on p.47 notes the existence of the "Gray Masks" who are supposedly "a shadowy organization, whose actual existence remains mere rumor". They are said to be a secret cabal working inside the Imperial Marines who have all sworn allegiance to the Emperor and his line directly as personal vassals, bypassing the usual chain of command. The name supposedly is derived from the gray cloth used to cover the faces of Marine dead who are not suitable for viewing. They supposedly undertake the blackest of black operations.

• What’s really the difference between a Private Club and a Secret Club?
To me, the difference between them is that a private club is not necessarily a secret club — that is, the existence of a private club could be generally known, even if its membership isn’t generally known, while a secret club would presumably rather not have others know of the club’s existence, let alone details of its membership.

If you are using Mongoose Traveller, there are both the Rhylanor (Rhylenor) Taoiseach and IISS Rangers, both of which were disbanded for cause, but which supposedly still secretly operate.
Given that Taoiseach is the title of the prime minister of Ireland, I’m curious as to why the Rhylanor Taoiseach organization would have adopted that name. (In Irish, the plural of Taoiseach is Taoisigh; the pronunciations of Taoiseach and Taoisigh are approximately “tee-shuck” and “tee-she” respectively.)

In my universe, I have a small group of Grandfather's great-grandchildren that he has never known about keeping a low profile . Then there may or may not be the Karres Witches, with the accompanying vatches. If you come across a planet called Kinsolving, you might want to keep a lid on any Psi in the party. There are no Krell or Bald Spacers running around, but you might find some functioning relics. Then there is Warlock.

Given that Taoiseach is the title of the prime minister of Ireland, I’m curious as to why the Rhylanor Taoiseach organization would have adopted that name. (In Irish, the plural of Taoiseach is Taoisigh; the pronunciations of Taoiseach and Taoisigh are approximately “tee-shuck” and “tee-she” respectively.)
It derives from older Gaelic meaning roughly "prince" or "chief" (= Welsh "Tywysog"), IIRC. Perhaps the reference has to do with Olav hault-Plankwell who raised them, who was from Rhylanor.

Last edited:
GURPS Traveller: Ground Forces on p.47 notes the existence of the "Gray Masks" who are supposedly "a shadowy organization, whose actual existence remains mere rumor". They are said to be a secret cabal working inside the Imperial Marines who have all sworn allegiance to the Emperor and his line directly as personal vassals, bypassing the usual chain of command. The name supposedly is derived from the gray cloth used to cover the faces of Marine dead who are not suitable for viewing. They supposedly undertake the blackest of black operations.
RIP Doug Berry. ☹️

I'm sorry, but the fact that there is a list of secret societies does suggest that the definition of the term "secret" is a little loose.

I'm impressed with the above list. It seems quite comprehensive regarding published sources.

Back