• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Define 'Blockade Runner'...

Scarecrow

SOC-14 1K
Blockade Runners seem t be a staple part of Space Opera ever since the Tantive IV first scurried feverishly down the screen in 1977.
But I was recently wondering, what exactly is a 'Blockade Runner' and what makes a ship a 'Blockade Runner'?

Crow

Originally posted by Scarecrow:
Blockade Runners seem t be a staple part of Space Opera ever since the Tantive IV first scurried feverishly down the screen in 1977.
But I was recently wondering, what exactly is a 'Blockade Runner' and what makes a ship a 'Blockade Runner'?

Crow
Well, as I see it a blockade runner is a ship that is designed to run blockades, i.e. the evade the ships that blockade its destination.

For this it needs high speed (high acceleration for a starship), some firepower to drive off enemy fighters or similar craft and enough cargo capacity to make the run worth its while. A good fuel capacity (to jump there and back again without refueling, for example) is a good idea, as would be a stealth outfit or something else that assists evading detection.

A ship designed to get through blockades. Typically they seem to be fast, probably more maneuverable than a typical ship of equivalent size, and likely as stealthy as the ruleset allows for.

Modern drug running vessels that go between some of the carribean islands and Florida seem to be essentially seagoing racing boats, and many of them seem to get painted black.

They are ships designed to carry vital supplies needed by countries whose ports were being blocked by foreign powers.

Normally they are not "Military' ships although certain military ships could be used for the purposes of running blockades (fast, armored, armed for defense, able to carry sufficient quantaties of vitally needed supplies).

Captains of "Blockade Runner" ships often made huge profits from the sale of the supplies brought in (often in excess of 10 times peace time prices). Many cities of the South depended on the Blockade Runners for needed food during the War between the States.
(Civil War for all them Yankees out there) :D

To be a blockade runner, a ship needs a blockade to run.

I guess the best documented blockade runners existed during the American Revolution, the War of 1812, and the American Civil War, Bockade Runners tended to be medium sized merchant ships, with unusual speed or maneuverability to avoid blockading ships at the cost of some cargo capacity. IIRC, schooners were preferred for their handling to windward and speed with small crews. Some steamships were used during the ACW, but the smoke was a dead givaway and the technology was not mature.

Stealth might also be a tactic. I think some early submarine designs were envisaged as blockade runners, although AFAIK a few U-boats were used to smuggle goods in WWII.

Fast armed and ready to go.
Got to love the CT Utility

Traveller(c) Starship Design
---------------------------------------

Quicksilver (Corvette Class)

The Quicksilver is based on a 400T, custom hull. It mounts jump drive D, maneuver drive K, and power plant K, giving a performance of jump-2 and 5-G acceleration. Fuel tankage for 130 tons supports the power plant allowing for 1 jump-2 and 4 weeks of operation. Adjacent to the bridge is a computer Model/4.
The ship has the following accommodations:
6 stateroom(s)
The ship has 4 hardpoints and 4 tons allocated to fire control. Installed on the hardpoints are:
4 triple turrets
The turrets are armed with:
6 beam lasers
4 missile launchers
2 sandcasters
There are 0 ship's vehicles:
1 air/raft
Cargo capacity is 143 tons. The hull is streamlined. The ship is not subsidized.

The Quicksilver requires a minimum crew of 9:
1 pilot
1 navigator
2 engineer(s)
1 medic
4 gunner(s)

The ship costs MCr252.9 (not including discounts and fees) and takes 16 months to build.

Ship's Name: Quicksilver
Ship's Class: Corevette class
Build Cost: MCr252.9
Design Fee: MCr2.529
Mass Production Cost: MCr229.8861 (includes design fee)
Hull: 400T, custom (streamlined)
Jump Drive: D (jump-2)
Maneuver Drive: K (5-G)
Power Plant: K
Ship's Computer: 4 (capacity 8/15)
In addition to the Model 4 the ship is equipped a Cordis-TLD329DL supplemental Computer
Designed by Kurega Gikur, produced by Naasirka.
Core operations master computer 320A0-00-PS3213-32AD(L)
Cr1,661,325 @50L, 84 kg

Ship's Accommodations: 6 staterooms,
Cargo Capacity: 143
Available Hardpoints: 4
Mounted Turrets: 4 triple turret(s),
Mounted Weapons: 6 beam weapons, 4 missile launchers, 2 sandcasters

---------------------------------------
Generated using the Classic Traveller Utility

I don't think any ships are built specifically for blockade running. The Tantive IV was a "consular ship" from Alderaan and only carried stolen data (blueprints of the Death Star). It all depends on what you want to use it for. The smuggling of 'something'? Or to get past, say, an Interdiction Zone? One needs stealth but the other needs speed. Now, in the Star Trek game, Orion Pirates used a ship called a Blockade Runner to get past Federation patrols with smuggled goods, drugs, and those most valued of all goods, Orion Slave Women™.

Dameon

I have a purpose-built smuggling ship IMTU. It's a one-of-a-kind ship, intended to play the role of the "Millenium Falcon." I had to make up some house rules to allow it, but you end up with a 200-dton hull with J-2 and 5-Gs, lightly armored over the vital spaces (bridge and engines) and armed with two triple turrets. I gave the ship severe streamlining (in MT terms, an "airfoil" hull).

She is the "Sidewinder" class Fast Packet; her official paperwork says that she specializes in delivery of small, high-value cargos with the minimum time in-system. In reality, of course, she's a smuggler.

Many purpose built ships are designed for blockade running. Some are even sold as recreational craft...

In the war between the states, a number of hulls were laid down specifically to be blockade runners: fast, oversized sails and deep rudder and keel to maximize maneuverability. Fast Merchantman was the official label.

Likewise, during prohibition, many speciallly built craft were made by modification of standard craft for surprising speed, hidden cargoes, etc.

I thought "fast merchant" sounded familiar...
My "Clipper" class
Clipper Class
500 ton Fast Merchant
500 ton custom hull
Conical, streamlined
Jump 3
PP 3
Maneuver 3
Computer 3
Hardpoints 5
Staterooms 15
Crew 5+
Fuel 166 tons
Cargo 180 tons

Deckplans at http://pages.sbcglobal.net/blyle/clipper_class.htm
I suppose a purpose built blockade runner would have 4-6 G, but this should do.
Clipperplan.jpg

I would expect most blockade runners to match the following general description:

- 6G acceleration
- Jump 3 or greater (2 maybe be enough)
- Just enough cargo space to be useful (this is not your father's fat trader)
- Stealthy lines and hull materials
- Large electronics suite dedicated to passive sensor detection and active sensor jamming
- Lots of sand and decoys (and possibly mines)
- Self destruct mechanism (if mil and used crossing borders or corporate for covert ops)

Basically a SR-71.

I wouldn't expect a runner to bulk up on massive weapon emplacements, armor, marines, or hidden cargo compartments; if you're caught, the jig is up, so you better be able to out run, not out gun, your pursuer.

I would expect the actual displacement of the ship to be 5-10% less than what the engines and powerplant are rated for just to give them a little extra boost or allow full acceleration without full fuel consumption.

If you're allowing Jump at any vector to any location (except the 100 diameter issue) then I'd go for a low-G, moderate jump high-payload design (Fat Trader with Jump-2?) and a custom delivery system.

~5 -10 TD cargo modules with EMM and camoflauge to look like a big rock, drive fuel and a computer. Also bring several hundred (cheap) inflatable aluminum balloons of various sizes that have similar signatures.

Jump into the outer system with a couple of hundred KPS vector, let loose the "Meteor shower" and pop out. A week or 5 later chunks of the meteor shower execute a high (12+) G burn for the planet and splash down at a designated delivery location.

I'd probably confuse the issue with a few Det laser heads on FIM missiles to execute attacks on any fixed orbital defences: this would have three useful effects:

1) Stop the defences from shooting at my (presumably expensive) cargo

2) Confuse the issue (were those things that entered atmosphere nukes that missed?, delivery Busses that were intended to be destroyed in re-entry so that we couldn't trace them?)

3) A convenient method of destroying (without trace) any of your "packages" that was successfully intercepted. Pity about the schmuck in the ships boat that tryed to lasoo it though...

The big difference between 18th-20th century smuggler or blockade runner vessels is that they are counting on a few things that aren't necessarily true in Traveller:

-Detection:
It's damn hard to hide in space

-Speed:
My Laser at C trumps your maximum accelleration

-Cover:
You were planning on hiding behind the planet perhaps? That's why we have more than 1 ship on blockade duty

-Reaction Speed:
One thing you are counting on as a blockade runner is that the folks trying to stop you will try not to fire on "neutrals" or cause a diplomatic incident. By the time they realize that you are a smuggler you can make a run for cover. If "customs" has no problem with applying deadly force (the 3I strikes me as pretty laid back about the occasional casualty, especially if they are entering an interdicted area) and a blockading force would have PLENTY of time to ID your bona-fides if you tried insertion. As for cover, see the previous note.

Once you have landed and delivered your cargo, what makes you think you're leaving? The fact that you are running a blockade implies that you *don't* have naval superiority. Your blockade runner is now trapped on planet for the duration. I hope the "resistance" has some nice deep caves to hide that expensive ship in ;)

An Alternate insertion method would be jumping in at *very* high velocity with a close pass by the planet and kicking the cargo out on an INSANELY high G burn as soon as you left FTL, and jumping out as soon as you cleared 100 orbits (or jumping in at 120 radii and re-jumping as soon as you can cycle the jump drive)

This may require a second drive, and I'd reccomend large banks of batteries for fast cycle time as the cheapest "fast discharge" alternative. Tech 12 Batteries are the cheapest power per MCr (375 Mw/MCr!) and point out that you don't need a maintenance crew for them...

Scott Martin

Originally posted by Colonel Johnnie Reb:
I believe a "Q" ship might also fit as a blockade runner?
A "Q" ship might do, but hardly ideal. It would have a very limited cargo capacity and still wouldn't be a match for any purpose-built warships maintaining the blockade. Unless the blockading ships are wimps and your Q ship becomes a blockade breaker

Scott, that sounds like a useful tactic against a tight blockade, but two-way travel is sometimes desirable (like getting Ben Franklin to France or Princess Leia off of Alderan). A blockade runner like Ran Targus suggests (or even my Clipper class) will allow you to penetrate a more porous blockade. Say one heavy cruiser in geosynchonus orbit with a couple of armed cutters.

^ I do like the ideal of the faux meteor shower; I think it would work once or twice before an enemy caught on and started shooting everything. It may be a great way to drop expendables hoping a small percentage will survive to the surface.

I think one thing we all forget is how big a volume a solar system actually contains and how small a ship would be in comparison. It should actually be quite easy to hide a stealthy ship in deep space.

I would expect a blockade runner to never jump into a system and run full throttle toward the objective. Instead, I would jump in way outside the normal transition points, far from prying eyes, then sit for a while and size up the competition.

When patrol routes and surveillance nets are well mapped and analyzed, then, and only then, would I try to run the gauntlet. Silent running in a stealthy ship should get you pretty close without being detected. And if things suddenly turn sour and the gaps close, I'd punch my jump drive and disappear only to come back later and try again.

Stealth and patience win the day.

Originally posted by Ran Targas:
^ I think one thing we all forget is how big a volume a solar system actually contains and how small a ship would be in comparison. It should actually be quite easy to hide a stealthy ship in deep space.

I would expect a blockade runner to never jump into a system and run full throttle toward the objective. Instead, I would jump in way outside the normal transition points, far from prying eyes, then sit for a while and size up the competition.

When patrol routes and surveillance nets are well mapped and analyzed, then, and only then, would I try to run the gauntlet. Silent running in a stealthy ship should get you pretty close without being detected. And if things suddenly turn sour and the gaps close, I'd punch my jump drive and disappear only to come back later and try again.

Stealth and patience win the day.
I agree.

A quick burn in the outer system and a slow drift in with power plant down to minimum etc. and try to slip past without being noticed.

Originally posted by Sigg Oddra:

A quick burn in the outer system and a slow drift in with power plant down to minimum etc. and try to slip past without being noticed.
Drifting through Space...
Playing at being a lifeless rock...
Just another meteorite, nothing to see here :D

Originally posted by Uncle Bob:
Stealth might also be a tactic. I think some early submarine designs were envisaged as blockade runners, although AFAIK a few U-boats were used to smuggle goods in WWII.
In WW1 Germany actually comissioned a dedicated Merchant U-Boat named "Deutschland" for trading with the then-neutral US. It made two voyages transporting some rare materials. Another, the "Bremen", was also built, but disappeared with all hands on its maiden voyage - its fate remaining a mystery. The "Deutschland" was rebuilt into a military vessel of the "cruiser submarine" type after US entry into the war.

In WW2 Germany used large regular U-Boats (IXD) for transport duties to and from Japan. Several Japanese boats also made the trip to Europe.

In the early years of the war, German blockade runners had been regular merchant ships blending in with neutral traffic. They were quite successfull in 1940-1942 but the missions became increasingly suicidal in 1943 and were abandoned in 1944.

Regards,

Tobias

I'm afraid you are. ;)
The Type XIV (the famous dedicated "Milchkuh") was mainly an Atlantic boat. IIRC at least one was also deployed in the Indian ocean, but no further than that. The IXD boats were the standard vessels for deployment to the Far East, variously as combat boats, replenishment vessels or transports. One variant had a range of 31,500 nm!

Regards,

Tobias

Back