• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

CT Only: College for Basic Chargen

Business and Government Education Table:
  • Computer (Data Processing)
  • Medical (Public Health)
  • Jack-0-T (Business and Government)
  • Administration (Business Administration)
  • -
  • -

Might I suggest Liaison and Carousing here?

All right, I finally read the Scholar options in MgT, and it doesn't really cover Academia as a career, more wrapping up Scientist and Doctor with a third academic sort of option.

So without further ado, the CT Academic career. This can be a limited first career, with the advantage that if the character has at least a Bachelors, it gets an automatic commissioning in whatever second career if that is an option, and able to use the academic rank achieved as a plus for promotion.

Academic

Enlistment 6+
+1 if Educ 8+
+2 if Soc 9+

Survival 4+
+1 if Educ 9+

Position 5+

+1 if Educ 8+

Promotion 7+
+1 if Intel 9+

Reenlistment 5+

Personal Development Table
[FONT=arial,helvetica][FONT=arial,helvetica]1. +1 Stren
2. +1 Dex
3. +1 Endur
4. Carousing
5. Gambling
6. +1 Soc
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

Service Skills Table
[FONT=arial,helvetica][FONT=arial,helvetica]1. Brawling
2. Gun Combat
3. Streetwise
4. Vehicle
5. Steward
6. Blade Combat
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

Advanced Education Table
[FONT=arial,helvetica][FONT=arial,helvetica]1. Admin
2. Recruiting
3. Interrogation
4. Instruction
5. Computer
6. +2 Educ

[/FONT]
[/FONT]
Advanced Education Table (educ 8+ only)
[FONT=arial,helvetica][FONT=arial,helvetica]1. Admin
2. Liaison
3. Instruction
4. Leader
5. Jack-of-T
6. +1 Int

[/FONT]
[/FONT]Special- for each commissioning and promotion, pick one school and roll for that result in lieu of the extra rolls on the above tables (degree program result).
Extra Option- if the character fails a commissioning roll and is 'dropping' out on the first term, the character can roll one of the two starting term rolls on one of the school tables, signifying a trade school education.

School of Arts
1. Administration
2. Computer
3. Instruction
4. Leader
5. Liaison
6. Interrogation

[FONT=arial,helvetica]School of Sciences
1. Administration
2. Computer
3. Electronics
4. Mechanical
5. Medical
6. Navigation

[/FONT]
[FONT=arial,helvetica]School of Business
1. Administration
2. Broker
3. Computer
4. Legal
5. Liaison
6. Trader

School of Engineering
1. Naval Architect
2. Computer
3. Electronics
4. Engineering
5. Mechanical
6. Gravitics

School of Law
1. Administration
2. Bribery
3. Computer
4. Legal
5. Interrogation
6. Streetwise

School of Military Science
1. Administration
2. Computer
3. Leader
4. Combat Engineering
5. Ship or Fleet Tactics
6. Tactics

[/FONT]
[FONT=arial,helvetica]School of Agriculture & Mining
1. Equestrian/Vehicle (mining or farming)
2. Survey
3. Prospecting
4. Admin
5. Mechanical
6. Trader

[/FONT] TABLE OF RANKS

Rank 1 Bachelors
Rank 2 Masters
Rank 3 Doctorate
Rank 4 Professor
Rank 5 Dean
Rank 6 Chancellor

BENEFITS TABLES

(normal rank and gambling mods apply)

Table 1 Material Benefits

1 LowPsg
2 Student Loan
3 Hand Computer
4 Weapon
5 +1 Int
6 Analysis Resources
7 +1 Soc

Table 2 Cash Benefits

1 -
2 1000
3 2000
4 5000
5 10000
6 20000
7 100000

Student Loan- roll 1d6, then roll that many die, sum then x 1000 Cr- this is the amount of student loan left to pay off. The character is required to service the debt at 1% of the total per month. Further money applied pays down against the principal and the debt service fee will be recalculated down. Any Cash Benefit may be applied at retirement to reduce or eliminate the loan.

Hand Computer- the character receives a hand computer as a benefit.

Analysis Resources- the character has continuing access to academic analysis resources- lab equipment, research materials or computer power in Model number equivalent to the character's achieved rank. The work must be at least arguably beneficial research in the character's field of expertise, and is subject to withdrawal of the benefit due to misuse.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks - they look like a good, workable, balanced set of rules.

My only question is the (paraphrasing) "+1 EDU, or if adjusted EDU is less than 8, then go to 8" section. Taking an extreme example, I can't see someone starting at EDU 5 automatically doubling EDU, however successful their 2 year college experience was.

I would personally stick to just the +1 EDU.

I think the value of this is that it lets the character use the last skill table.

Thank yew!
So, my version of use to you?
I may have gone a little overboard with the Admin skill on second glance.
Your contributions have been very helpful to me.

I like to tinker and have observed a natural flow of my ideas.
Stage 1. first comes a perceived need and some sort of twist on how that need could be met. In this case, Basic Chargen could benefit from something like the Advanced Chargen Pre-Enlistment 'College' Option. I almost always start out with something simple.

Stage 2. I am never satisfied with something simple and begin to tinker. Pushing boundaries and exploring other ways of achieving the goal. This almost always results in something that is too verbose, complex and fussy. That was where I had reached in my efforts, discovering what could be done, but not what should be done (if that makes sense).

Stage 3. If things go well, the complexity stage reveals a clear focus on what is important (and what is not) and some clever mechanism for achieving the important results with brevity, simplicity and elegance.

For this project, I decided that I need a short break between step 2 (where I am) and step 3 (where I want to go). I have identified some things that are either ideas that I really like, or point to what is important. You will probably recognize your contribution to many of them:
  • Minimum Edu for Enlistment
  • Specialized Programs (Medicine, Law, Agriculture, Mining)
  • Muster out with DEBT rather than Credit ... and SELECT rather than ROLL skills (these go hand in hand and set Pre-Enlistment apart from a regular Enlistment).
  • option to expand 'College' into an 'Academic' Career.

Where your effort (and my efforts) have come up short, is too much duplication of skills. The tables need to be tighter and more fundamental with little to no overlap of skills from one to another. This will allow fewer tables and clean up the whole career.

YMMV

Well, I was sticking with the CT+LBB expansion skills, which is limited compared to the more modern MgT/T5 family of skills, particularly the science and athletic skills in this case.

If one is willing to merge them in, a more useful set of tables emerges, just don't know how 'pure CT' we want to keep this.

Well, I was sticking with the CT+LBB expansion skills, which is limited compared to the more modern MgT/T5 family of skills, particularly the science and athletic skills in this case.

If one is willing to merge them in, a more useful set of tables emerges, just don't know how 'pure CT' we want to keep this.
I communicate poorly ... it needs fewer tables and fewer skills.
I (IMTU) am aiming for 1 personal development table and 4 tables of skills ... I was thinking about something like only 24 skills to select from divided among something like:

Table 1: Personal Development (EDU 4+): + attributes
Table 2: Pre-Enlistment College (EDU 6+): Administration, Computer
Table 3: Degree Programs (EDU 8+): Electronics, Prospecting (mining)
Table 4: Advanced Degrees (EDU 10+): Legal, Medical
Table 5: Academic Career (EDU 12+): Instruction

I was contemplating Table 2 being for First-Term (Pre-Enlistment) only and Table 5 being for the Academic Career only.

[Or I might still be making it too fussy and drop it to 4 tables and 18 skills with no distinction between pre-enlistment and Academic career.]

I communicate poorly ... it needs fewer tables and fewer skills.
I (IMTU) am aiming for 1 personal development table and 4 tables of skills ... I was thinking about something like only 24 skills to select from divided among something like:

Table 1: Personal Development (EDU 4+): + attributes
Table 2: Pre-Enlistment College (EDU 6+): Administration, Computer
Table 3: Degree Programs (EDU 8+): Electronics, Prospecting (mining)
Table 4: Advanced Degrees (EDU 10+): Legal, Medical
Table 5: Academic Career (EDU 12+): Instruction

I was contemplating Table 2 being for First-Term (Pre-Enlistment) only and Table 5 being for the Academic Career only.

[Or I might still be making it too fussy and drop it to 4 tables and 18 skills with no distinction between pre-enlistment and Academic career.]

Hmm, better off treating it like one of the LBB4-7 service school table rolls then.

Back