• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Character generation: Injury and Poltroonery

binky

SOC-12
(cross-posted to traveller5.com forums as well)

On injuries:

From Preliminaries 2:

Service May End. Permanent injury of 3+ points (even if from more than one injury) requires a disability discharge. Roll a half die (1-2-3) for the number of years served in the current term and receive double mustering out benefits.

Is this 3+ points in total or 3+ points to one stat?

On Poltroonery:

From Preliminaries 2:

Poltroonery. Army, Navy, Marine, and Scout characters may elect the Poltroonery DM -2 (which reduces the chance of injury).

From the Marines career description:

Avoid Injury: 8 -; DM - 2 for Poltroonery (optional).
(the Navy description is the same).

From the Army career description:

Avoid Injury: 8 -; DM +2 for Poltroonery (optional).
(the Scouts description is the same).

Some contradiction here, anyone know which is correct?

- Neil.

On the first part, I would venture to say that it's 3 points total. You are getting a chance to continue unline in previous versions.

On the second part the DM should be increasing the target number, so I believe it shoould be DM+2

Thanks for the replies.

Originally posted by Granpafishy:
On the second part the DM should be increasing the target number, so I believe it shoould be DM+2
In actual fact, having done a little research, it would appear the -2 DM is the correct option. Poltroonery means cowardice, so by using it the character is attempting to avoid injury. So subtracting 2 from the dice roll makes sense.

The only problem I have with it now is that it has no real downside. It reduces the characers chance of getting a Military Heroism Award, but that really isn't that big a deal. I would possibly have it have some effect on the promotion and commission rolls but I'm not sure how harsh that would be? Of course that wouldn't work at all for a scount.

Time to go generate some more characters I think.

- Neil.

IIRC, Poltroonery or Cowardice in MT was such that you could take as large a positive survival DM as possible, but if you blew your survival roll, you could get anything from years in prison with a DD all the way up to being an escapee with a death sentence. That was a fairly large downside.

And it would certainly prevent you claiming positive modifiers from bravery to decorations. In fact, one might suggest it should negatively influence things.

Promotion, being more a product of the results of decoration, may well not be so affected. After all, plenty of REMFs who've pushed paper have gotten promotions while sending other men to their deaths....

Back