• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Boarding gun

Todg

SOC-13
The boarding gun is a variant of the shotgun designed for use in close quarters combat - particularly aboard starships. As such, it has abbreviated barrels and a detachable stock.

defender_muzzle.jpg

A unique feature of the boarding gun is that rather than relying upon a magazine for multiple shots, it has eight independent barrel formed into a cylinder shape. A simple revolver like trigger mechanism fires each barrel, one after the other, and a selector on the rear of the hammer can be used to select a specific barrel, thus the weapon can be loaded with different ammunition in each barrel and a suitable round chosen for the task at hand.

To reload, the weapon is hinged open and fired rounds are replaced. The boarding gun fires a special 15mm shotgun round unique to the gun to prevent its use by unauthorized personnel.

Another feature of the weapon is an accessory mount located within the barrel cluster and operated by the forward trigger. This point can mount a variety of accessories iincluding a non-lethal taser type weapon, pepper spray dispensor or even a spigot for launching grenades. A special spring powered, HESH grenade is available which is designed to defeat most internal ship doors.

Because of it's short barrels and detachable stock, the Boading gun has reduced long range performance, however it is idea for areas with restricted space.

bording_gun.gif

TL7 Length: 450mm, Mass: 3.9kg Cr200

Armor Matrix
NON JCK MSH CLH RFC ABT CBT
+5 +5 -1 -3 +5 +2 -5

Range Matrix
CLS SHT MED LNG VLG
-4 +2 +2 -7 no

Damage: 4D (as shotgun)

Well, I'd give it a circumstance bonus to intimidate checks (for T20) but other than that, why not just use a semi auto magazine fed shotgun?

Or get really strange:
Picture a tri barrel. The bottom barrel is mag fed from a 20 round mag. The two top barrels are break open feed and can be loaded with alternative loads... HESH breeching charges, AP, gas, flash/bang,

Originally posted by Pagan priest:
Well, I'd give it a circumstance bonus to intimidate checks (for T20) but other than that, why not just use a semi auto magazine fed shotgun?
1. It can't jam. If a barrel doesn't fire, you just pull the trigger again.

2. You can load different types of ammo in diffeent barrels and select the barrel you want to fire by twisting a knob on the hammer.

3. you can use non standard length rounds.

OK, first, I like this design for simplicity and butugliness.
file_22.gif
I've seen shotgun revolvers, but they're down in that wimpy .410 range. I like this. Now, here is my hi-tech boarding/anti-boarding gun (and cast thread resurrect while I'm at it). The over-under 7mm/12ga.

The 12ga is on the bottom, is semi-automatic, and is fed caseless ammo from a bullpup magazine. It uses a modified block breech that doesn't normally open, but can be opened (for clearing) with an ejector catch on the right side of the weapon. The barrel is approximately 18" (which places ~14" in front of the triggerguard. Ammunition for this weapon includes regular 12ga rounds, a rocket-assisted shot (that is essentially a snub-shotgun round), and variations on other snub rounds. The safety is located near the mag release switch.

The over part is a 7mm carbine/SMG. It uses a modification of the HK G11 rotating breech system, with an inline magazine of caseless ammo "in" the stock (actually part of the upper portion of the stock). The clearing mechanism ejects rounds up and to the right, forward. The selector lever is located on the upper receiver and includes 3rd burst, single shot and safe. The barrel is approximately 22" long, extending the same distance in front of the trigger guard as the shotgun muzzle. The 7mm muzzle has porting and flash suppression built-in. The 7mm round has slightly more rifle properties than you might otherwise find in a SMG. You couldn't just pop these rounds into a handgun. (But, you could design a handgun around these rounds. :D )

The single trigger is governed by switches located by the pistol grip and forward of the shotgun magazine. Either push-button will select the weapon to be fired by a pull of the trigger. The weapon also sports an accessory rail above the barrels for mounting scopes/lights/NVDs/targeting computers/etc.

It probably looks most like the AICW picture, with the shotgun barrel underneath and a shorter mag. (Paramasson, your picture doesn't link - probably because it links to the actual picture, instead of a web page :( ) I will post a picture (very crude when I get it done.

Here is my extremely crude drawing (done in Excel, with Auto-shapes).
OU_Boarding_carbine.gif

(Sorry about the size....)

The lower nub on the right is the shotgun muzzle, and the 7mm is above that. The purple parts are the magazines; the red parts are the carbine's safety and the selector switch for the 7mm; the blue are the switches for trigger selection; the two black nubbins are the magazine releases; and the bit on top is the accessory rail. The ovals represent the clearing ports for each portion.

The IISS must buy quite a few of those things. Just put a bayonet on it and you should be ready for just about anything.

heh, make mine a spring loaded shooting spike bayonet with an exploding hilt mounted center of that one at the top :D

The 8 barrel thingie is a colt defender. The reference is http://www.guntech.com/hillberg/
What isn't mentioned on the page is a panic option of simeltaneously firing all remaining loaded barrels. The centre mount grenade launcher is part of the original design. Sadly the one in the photo is the only one made :( , the weapon never made it past prototype. Looking at the weapon it is screaming for a forward grip pistol and laser sight with a seperate firing stud for the grenade.

There is also production "Colt Defender". This is a pistol however.

There is another weapon listed on that page, that due to its simplicity and cost I can see going into every belter weapons locker. It is a break action 4 barrel 20 gauge shotgun called the "Winchester Liberator". (Possibly Liberator II).

Apologies for the firearm fanatic spam

photo219.jpg

25mm, 5.5 Kg 6 rd magazine. Can fire flechette, thermobaric (no good in space), HE air burst and non lethal.

Put in a flechette magazine and you have a shotgun. A mag of non lethal makes it a teargas gun. HE and you have a grenade launcher accurate to 500m. A 25mm HEAT (Traveller HEAP) warhead has been developed, though not tested in this weapon.

photo219.jpg

25mm, 5.5 Kg 6 rd magazine. Can fire flechette, thermobaric (no good in space), HE air burst and non lethal.

Put in a flechette magazine and you have a shotgun. A mag of non lethal makes it a teargas gun. HE and you have a grenade launcher accurate to 500m. A 25mm HEAT (Traveller HEAP) warhead has been developed, though not tested in this weapon.

The 25MM rounds are shorty rounds with much less powder behind the projectile than a normal 25MM round. It's big advantage is supposed to be the airburst HE shells fuzed to detonate a few miliseconds after penetrating a wall, to shred the bad guys taking cover behind a wall. I saw tests of it penetrating a thin plywood wall, but have reservations of it penetrating a cinder block or brick wall. Hey, you could just aim for the window and hope the glass initiates the fuze.

Flechette rounds have a nasty tendency to mess up the inner barrel surface.

Not the perfect weapon for taking out the hostage taker either. Frag does not differentiate between good and bad people.

On the other hand, it does look like a very fun home/neighborhood defense weapon. Love to take it out behind the mountain and do some plinking.

I like the look of that last one. But, it doesn't have that instant switchability between moderate penetration rounds (single shot for very long passageways, burst for shorter, normal ranges) and quick, passageway-filling shot rounds I was going for in my design.

My design would require some advanced materials design, I think. I don't leave a lot of room for that rotating breech. Also, with the right advanced materials, you could engineer the shotgun rounds to be selectable for 0-g: hit the button, and the powder burns after a small portion fires the round, rather than the whole thing going bang at once!

Edit: Bayonet?! My weapon's only 34" long! You'd be better off with a long knife (or a Cutlass - Aaaarrrrgghhh!) than trying to attach anything to the end of my OU Boarding Carbine. end edit

I like the XM-26 LSS standalone shotgun.
12g 7.5” barrel
5 shell Detachable box magazine

Perfect for the close in, room to room stuff.

Fritz, why not put the 7mm ammo mag on top of the barrel, like the G11 and P90?

It would increase ammo capacity...

or better still, have a magazine in both locations ;)

XM25
The fuse on the airburst rounds is a time fuse set at the muzzle. It can be set to fly over a wall and blow up or to blow up over a foxhole and blast shell splinters down at the guy who thought he was under cover.

It is expected to go through window glass and explode in the room beyond, but a brick wall would be too much, IMHO. In between ... it is moving at nearly 100 m/s, so you figure it.

Flechettes are OK if you have a good plastic shot cup. But if you don't like flechettes buckshot works just as well.

Yeah, not good for precision shots. Could, should, fire a slug, but that hasn't been developed yet. Also non-lethal bean-bag loads.

Back