• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Basics to play 2320AD?

As a past 2300AD player and referee I am now interested in learning the new D20 system so that I can be ready when the 2320AD version comes out.

What do I need to get started? What are the basic books i.e. a D20 basic system set and I assume the T20 system.

Thanks
Tim

Evening (PDT) tanstaafl2300 (AKA: Tim),

Looking over the discussion boards here and on a couple of other sites the recommended core book for T20 was supposed to be the latest edition of the D&D Player's Handbook, either 2nd or 3rd. I purchased the book and waited for the release of T20 and discovered that the D&D Player's Handbook just didn't work for me. Then someone mentioned D20 Modern, which works better. There is a thread discussing a similar topic on the T20 - Traveller for the D20 System discussion. Here is a link to the thread: Best core book? if of course you haven't found it on your own.

Hope the above helps.

Originally posted by tanstaafl2300:
As a past 2300AD player and referee I am now interested in learning the new D20 system so that I can be ready when the 2320AD version comes out.

What do I need to get started? What are the basic books i.e. a D20 basic system set and I assume the T20 system.

Thanks
Tim

The licence requires stating either "Core Rulebook I" or "D&D Player's Handbook, 3.x Edition".

To be honest, if you know how to spend skills, and the other basics, you don't need the D&D handbook. Just T20.

Originally posted by Aramis:
The licence requires stating either "Core Rulebook I" or "D&D Player's Handbook, 3.x Edition".

To be honest, if you know how to spend skills, and the other basics, you don't need the D&D handbook. Just T20.
Of course, therein lies the problem. If you want to play 2320, you'd need to buy a d20 corebook, T20, AND the 2320AD book. That's what, about 100 US Dollars right off the bat there, which is rather a large investment to get into an RPG.

Whereas the original 2300AD box cost about a fifth of that price, and any reprints would certainly be cheaper than getting all the aformentioned books.

Now, if T20 was an OGL system that included all the character generation bits and its own system tweaks, the cost of entry would be lower (but not by much, since T20 is darn expensive as it is).

If 2320 could be based on T20Lite, that'd be a different story, but I don't know how 'standalone' T20Lite is.

Originally posted by Evil Dr Ganymede:
Of course, therein lies the problem. If you want to play 2320, you'd need to buy a d20 corebook, T20, AND the 2320AD book. That's what, about 100 US Dollars right off the bat there, which is rather a large investment to get into an RPG.

If you've played any standard d20 game or know anyone with a core book you don't need to buy one IMO. It's nice to have of course, esp. if you play another d20 game. And for that $100 or whatever you'll be getting a *lot* of stuff you can use for a very long time.

[shrugs] $100US doesn't go so far these days it seems and the market for RPGs doesn't seem to be growing.

Whereas the original 2300AD box cost about a fifth of that price, and any reprints would certainly be cheaper than getting all the aformentioned books.

And how many years/decades ago was that? Even the reprint will still be softcover with no changes to years old material (except for possible errata fixes) and artwork. And no box. The d20 Core books, T20, and presumably the new 2320AD book are all hardcover on much better paper with more artwork/color artwork. It's what people evidently want in RPG's these days and it adds cost.

Now, if T20 was an OGL system that included all the character generation bits and its own system tweaks, the cost of entry would be lower (but not by much, since T20 is darn expensive as it is).

It's also a darn big hardcover book.

If 2320 could be based on T20Lite, that'd be a different story, but I don't know how 'standalone' T20Lite is.
Being a fan of Gurps Lite, BRP, and Tri-Stat dX, etc. I do think an updated T20 Lite with all the open content from T20 could help a lot. Even if it was a $5-10 pdf (depending on just how much of the THB is open content) it could help with those who want to get 2320 AD but don't want to buy other books to play.

For that matter a full THB on cd/pdf or whatever would be great.

Now me I generally like having a nice book at hand and don't mind paying the extra $ to get said books, but that's just me.

Casey

My head has grown back since I raised this point a while ago: there'll be a standalone T20 version at some point, and 2320 will be usable as a supplement to this. So it's cheaper than buying D&D...

- Rob.

Originally posted by Casey:
If you've played any standard d20 game or know anyone with a core book you don't need to buy one IMO. It's nice to have of course, esp. if you play another d20 game. And for that $100 or whatever you'll be getting a *lot* of stuff you can use for a very long time.
Maybe so, but the fact remains that if you have none of the required books, you need to put down about 100USD on the counter in order to START playing 2320AD.

And how many years/decades ago was that? Even the reprint will still be softcover with no changes to years old material (except for possible errata fixes) and artwork. And no box. The d20 Core books, T20, and presumably the new 2320AD book are all hardcover on much better paper with more artwork/color artwork. It's what people evidently want in RPG's these days and it adds cost.
Doesn't matter. Even today, all the rules you need to start running/playing a game can be found in single corebooks. If you bought WW's Vampire: The Masquerade (Revised) or the Exalted corebook, for example, you can start playing the game straight away for 30 USD. Those are hardcovers, and those have glossy pages if not full colour stuff in them.

Whereas if you want to start playing 2320AD you need to either spend at least 100 USD on all the books, or you need to already have the PHB AND T20, which narrows down the market considerably.

(T20 is) also a darn big hardcover book.
Well, yes. It might not be expensive for what it is, but one still has to fork out a sizeable amount of money for it.

Maybe so, but the fact remains that if you have none of the required books, you need to put down about 100USD on the counter in order to START playing 2320AD.

Well it looks like 2320 AD is more of a "alternative" setting book for T20 than a rules book. It'd be like buying Victorian Age for Vampire or Gaslight for Call of Cthulhu. [or Interstellar Wars for GT whenever it comes out]

And again you *don't* absolutely *have* to buy a d20 corebook to play/run T20. And many who do already had a corebook or access to one. Depending on what's in the T20 Player's book and 2320AD you may not even need access to the SRD or a d20 corebook.

Doesn't matter. Even today, all the rules you need to start running/playing a game can be found in single corebooks. If you bought WW's Vampire: The Masquerade (Revised) or the Exalted corebook, for example, you can start playing the game straight away for 30 USD. Those are hardcovers, and those have glossy pages if not full colour stuff in them.

And how much does D&D3E cost to start running a game *without* a campaign setting? $90+ and Forgotten Realms or Scarred Lands or whatever will put you well over $100. The Spycraft settings require both a core book and Spycraft (pretty sure Stargate will be like this as well). Same for really running the L5R setting in d20 or 7th Sea.

Compared to running other d20 based settings the cost isn't so bad IMO.

2320 AD is a T20 game. To run a T20 game is not $100+. And a Storyteller game is far more rules lite/non-detailed (crunchy) then 2300AD or T20.

Nor is D&D/d20 the only game out there requiring more than one book to run the game. (Deadlands, DecTrek, most any generic game system if you want a campaign setting, 7th Sea for example)

Whereas if you want to start playing 2320AD you need to either spend at least 100 USD on all the books, or you need to already have the PHB AND T20, which narrows down the market considerably.

Since I'm fairly certain the PHB is the #1 RPG book (and when you add in the other d20 core books together they have to be #1), T20 seems to selling fairly well, and many who who'd want to play 2320AD likely have either a d20 corebook and or THB (or will have the Player's Book) already this is likely still going to be a large enough market to sustain the book if QLI ran the numbers enough. [shrugs] And compared to other forms of entertainment $100 isn't much at all, esp. compared to how much use out of those books you can get.

Casey

There will be a T20 Player's Handbook coming out with all the rules you need to play. Combine that with the 2320 book, and that's it. No D&D or D20 Modern book needed. The T20 Traveller's Handbook would be useful, especially if you want the design sequences, but not necessary for a player.
Besides, if you wanted to get into D&D at the same level, you need a minimum of three books (PHB, DMG, MM), plus a setting book. That doesn't come cheap, either.

Originally posted by Colin:
There will be a T20 Player's Handbook coming out with all the rules you need to play. Combine that with the 2320 book, and that's it. No D&D or D20 Modern book needed. The T20 Traveller's Handbook would be useful, especially if you want the design sequences, but not necessary for a player.
Tell me more about this T20 Players Handbook. Does this mean that the game will now be entirely selfcontained, that it's going OGL? Does this replace the T20 book, or is it a supplement for it?

Besides, if you wanted to get into D&D at the same level, you need a minimum of three books (PHB, DMG, MM), plus a setting book. That doesn't come cheap, either.
Well no, it doesn't - I'm not saying that D&D is any better on this front
. I'm just pointing out that it's perfectly possible to have a complete game in a much less expensive package. The more books you need to play, the more money one has to spend, and the more that's likely to put people off getting into it. I hear enough arguments along these lines when talking about GURPS.

OK, so I will need the T20 Players Handbook (at the printers now) , and then eventually the 2320AD book and that is it? Will there be conversion notes for the old 2300AD materials included in the 2320AD book?

Actually, the T20 Player's Handbook is still in playtest. The second printing of the Traveller's Handbook is curretnly at the printer. I don't know when the Player's Handbook is due to come out, and, honestly, I'm not sure what I'm allowed to say about it.
I've seen it, as I needed to for 2320, but I'm not sure what information QLI would want released yet.
It is a D20 system book, so it has all the rules needed to play, including character generation, advancement, skills, that sort of thing.
2320 may include conversion notes, if there is room. If not, we'll hopefully find some other way to make those available.

I downloaded the D20Modern and T20 Lite files so that should hold me over until the T20 Players Handbook comes out. And then of course the 2320AD book. From the other posts on here it sounds like you "smart guys" have a good handle on the re-write, hope it all goes well and we can get 2300AD up and running as an active game again.
Thanks for all the advice.

Back