• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Approximately Traveller Miniatures

DrSkull

SOC-14 1K
Over the past 3-4 years I've got a small pile of Geo-Hex "star Grunts" miniatures which are pretty good Approximately Traveller Miniatures.

I also bought a set of miniatures called "rat-men, Army Pack" but I don't know the company. They were armed with FLintlock pistols and muskets, but still end up making passable Vargr.

( I use cheap plastic army men and Matchbox cars for Striker, perfectly happy with them for that purpose, but like the metal guys for role-playing games)

Are there other good Sci-Fi miniatures out there I should know about?

------------------
Dave "Dr. Skull" Nelson

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DrSkull:

Are there other good Sci-Fi miniatures out there I should know about?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

ABSOLUTLEY! Someone after my own heart. I've a largish collection of SF folks. Here are some harder to find older minis (check e-bay)and some cool ones that are still directly available:

1. The old GRENADIER TRAVELLER minis rock - there are in boxed sets as 1001 Imperial Marines (like the GZG UNSC Marines), 1002 Adventurers, and 1003 Alien Mercenaries. There were also non-Traveller Secret Agent and Commando sets that were good for lots of scenarios.

2. The old Ral Partha BATTLETECH "BattleTroops". There are two boxed sets of around 25 soldiers each 10-850 "Kurita Machine Gun Assault Platoon" and 10-851 "Steiner Laser Rifle Platoon" these guys rock. They were also available as single figures. These guys are really cool for medium mercs.

3. The old TSR StarFrontiers figures (a little on the thin-side, but OK) including 5401 ROBOTS, 5501 Player Characters, 5334 Spacefarers, and an Aliens set. These were also available as singles. I have "thicker" and "thinner" versions of these figures. I think the second release was the "thicker" version.

4. West-End Games StarWars figures (a little on the smaller side, but still good poses) - especially the not as recognizable figs. Still find these guys in the discount bin (also the WEG Aliens).

5. There were also a bunch of ActionFleet pre-painted Galoob plastic 25mm guys that look pretty cool. They were available as StarWars figs and vehicles. Aliens and Colonial Marines (very hard to find but an awesome APC and dropship were available). Starship Trooper Mobile Infantry and Bugs from the movie (the TAC fighter is cool).

6. Still available DENIZEN SF minis:
http://www3.mistral.co.uk/denizen/index-page23.html

7. Just found the ShadowForge ladies at
http://www.shadowforge.com.au/sci-fi/

check out the StarMarine figs near the bottom

8. Stan Johansen at http://www.stanjohansenminiatures.com/ has smaller 25 mm folks that are pretty kewl - check out those "Boomers"

9. Riveresco has a large line of smaller 25mm Starguard minis at http://www.tin-soldier.com/sg/sgcatalo.html#figures

I would recommend any of these guys & gals for Traveller 25mm - not 28mm.

LostPict

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by lostpict:
ABSOLUTLEY! Someone after my own heart. I've a largish collection of SF folks. Here are some harder to find older minis (check e-bay)and some cool ones that are still directly available:

LostPict
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

And one for the road for you Known Space fans there Ral Partha make a set of Felines that would not look out of place (these are 8 footers) ...
http://store.fasa.com/RalPartha/index.asp?Level1=1104&Level2=1335&Product=11430

Order them before Fasa/Ral closes it's door forever.

LostPict

I noticed how many of lostpic's sources were orphaned or remaindered. I was looking for figures suitable for lightly-armed PCs and ship crew. I liked the Battletech 25mm crew, but they are gone, now.

Let me add Ainsty who sell both Denizen and vehicles, and terrain and accessories.
Also Hyperbooks who have downloadable terrain and characters in the vein of SJG's "cardboard heroes."

I haven't dealt with these people personally, but Geohex has some SF figures. New Wave Miniatures carry several lines of Sci-Fi miniatures.

For Cyberpunk-style figures, there are the Foundry's street violence figures. Also the similar set by Mark Copplestone. Also kallistra Miniatures.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Uncle Bob:
I noticed how many of lostpic's sources were orphaned or remaindered....<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Unfortunately, there have never been a plethora of "ordinary" looking sci-fi minis along the lines of those I identified. There are a plethora of crazed machine-gun toting, chain saw weilding styled folks available, but they never appealed. Most of the older minis are readily available on E-Bay (I just checked and turned up the Ral Partha BATTLETROOPS, the Galoob Action Fleet folks, the StarFrontiers minis, the WEG StarWars minis, and find of finds GRENADIER Traveller minis in current or very recent auctions). You may pay a little bit for them (especially the Galoob stuff) but they are worth it.

Get 'em while they are hot!

Lost Pict

I'm Still using the grenedier minis that I bought in '85. The tow miniatures sources I will contribute are HDI's "Known worlders" from the Fading suns universe the know worlders come already painted. Another source is Citadel miniatures for WARHAMMER 40,000. those minis are easier to work with because they're plastic (mostly) but they come in 30mm. Another thing....Tyranid Genestealer figures scare the PISS out of any player character. :) (check'em out!)

Back