• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

A good source for merc campaigns...

Irsan

SOC-6
It's been a while since I've downloaded the Original Recon RPG from Palladium's website here. I've been looking at it again for some good Merc adventure seeds.

It's originally a Vietnam war RPG where the PCs play as a Recon team in the jungles of 'Nam, but there's also a section where the PCs can play as Mercs. It has stuff on how to get recruited, the contract and expenses plus a few interesting adventure seeds.

Example (I hope I'm not breaking any rules here):

Hearts and Minds.

The government of Sangria cannot defend all of the outlying villages. As a pilot project, it has hired you to help organize the village defense forces of a small rural village. You must clear the jungle, build fortifications, organize the militia, and win over the loyalty of these people whose only contact with the central government previously has been the greedy tax collectors who rob them of most of their crop (what they don't hide). As a pilot project, you can be expected to be a major target for the guerrillas.

Short People.

The Mindanisian natives are the most experienced jungle fighters in this part of the world. It is your mission to win their loyalty and lead them against the guerrillas invading San Succi.

Most of the adventure seeds seem to fit with all those balkanized worlds where there is tension between the various states. It'll be like all those cheesy 80's ex-commando merc movies... at TL 10. ;)

Someone (I forget who) produced a boxed game about mid 80's mercenaries (mostly in Africa, but other places too) called MERC. It would have some good ideas in these veins too.

It also had the most fun accessory I've seen in a game - the dice adjusted reticle for sniping. Place target on figure of enemy, roll dice, modify for skills, determine hit location visually.... almost worth the price of the game all by itself.

Of course, for Trav or any other game, you'd need to craft Alien silhouettes.

I have a copy of MERC. It was published by Fantasy Games Unlimited (FGU). It was and still is a great game. I still have that clear plastic sight reticle.

I also have Recon and the Recon supplement, by Palladium.

Both games were hybrid RPG's/Wargames. I have played both many times over the years, and still enjoy them. MERC is still my favorite, though.

Originally posted by Daemonhunter:
Hearts and Minds.

The government of Sangria cannot defend all of the outlying villages. As a pilot project, it has hired you to help organize the village defense forces of a small rural village. You must clear the jungle, build fortifications, organize the militia, and win over the loyalty of these people whose only contact with the central government previously has been the greedy tax collectors who rob them of most of their crop (what they don't hide). As a pilot project, you can be expected to be a major target for the guerrillas.
I love the movie version. It's called "The Seven Samurai." You should watch it, especially if you're going to run this as an adventure.

Originally posted by Paraquat Johnson:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Daemonhunter:
Hearts and Minds.

I love the movie version. It's called "The Seven Samurai." You should watch it, especially if you're going to run this as an adventure. </font>[/QUOTE]No wonder that adveture seed seemed familiar...
file_28.gif
;)

If you want a source try "the Condittorie" by Geoffery Treese (I probably misspelled the title and the authors name but it is close to this). It tells the history of medieval mercenaries which are remarkably like the Star Mercs

Back