• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Well, if we count the transients we've already passed 7K

And since we're talking starports so much recently down below...here's the current take on memberships if we were starports
file_21.gif
:

A-class, with 1000+ Posts: = 49
B-class, with 100-999 posts: = 256
C-class, with 10-99 posts: = 614
D-class, with 2-9 posts: = 780
E-class, with 1 (single) post: = 456
X-class, with 0 (zero) posts: = 4,876

This of course, does not count those with multiple identities/ sockpuppets, whatever you call it.
omega.gif

I've often done that sort of examination of the membership in the past... we may have nearly 7000 members but that clearly shows that there's only about 300 who have really contributed much to the board at all, and a hardcore of about 50 who do most of the talking.

Originally posted by Malenfant:
I've often done that sort of examination of the membership in the past... we may have nearly 7000 members but that clearly shows that there's only about 300 who have really contributed much to the board at all, and a hardcore of about 50 who do most of the talking.
It was to that affect I did this, Mal.

Statistically however, if trends are following, it appeared to me from the last time you did that our posters have increased, and the 0 posters (who still make the actual silent majority-no pun intended) have decreased slightly.

Could be a sign for the better, I'm thinking.

I would suspect that the "membership" numbers are drasticly inflated over the actual viewing audience. Based on the ratio of "guests" to members logged in, I suspect the active viewing audience is probably closer to twice the number of members who have posted in the last 12 months and is probably closer to 1000 than 7000. Just a hunch.

It might be informative to see how often members actually log on to the site and for how long, compared to number of posts. I find that because I only get chance to visit the site for a short period, I spend most of my time catching up reading interesting posts and very little time posting. That damned real life getting in the way of leisure again!!!!

i'm an admin of a different board and recently
i "purged" our membership all told we HAD about
2000 members when i got done there were 400+ left
probably that 7k could be 1-1.5k easy for real
members...

Originally posted by ChrisR:
It might be informative to see how often members actually log on to the site and for how long, compared to number of posts. I find that because I only get chance to visit the site for a short period, I spend most of my time catching up reading interesting posts and very little time posting. That damned real life getting in the way of leisure again!!!!
Agreed. Correlation between log on, and member entry and current day would show some of these have not been back in quite some time. THAT said,

thats an Admin decision and powers-that-be call.

Usually I've seen that about 10% (+/- 5% ?) of total members are ones that have repeatedly contributed on a vaguely regular basis at least, and about 1% of those carry the bulk of discussions on the board.

So if we have 7000 members, about 700 of them should be considered as actual contributors and about 70 of them do most of the talking. Which about fits the breakdown Liam posted.

That breakdown isn't the same on boards that have less than 100 members or so, because in those cases most people are there specifically to contribute (and in some cases, 0-post members are actively weeded out if they don't post after a while, or spammers or bots can be identified when they join and booted). But for large boards like this one, it roughly holds true.

Yes, it's true for rpg.net also: 35,000+ members over against a couple hundred posters.

Still, it's nice to see how CotI manages to attract around 1 new member per day or so. Against all odds almost, there's still fresh interest in Traveller.

I posted this on October 14th 2004, here it is for comparison:

It's quite interesting to look at the number of posts that people have made here (which you can look at in the directory).

For example, at the time of writing there are 5,614 registered members of Coti.

But out of that large number only:

1,592 of them have ever posted 1 or more posts (and 325 of those have only ever posted once in total).

632 of them have posted more than 10 posts here.

183 have posted more than 100 posts here.

21 have posted more than 1000 posts here.

That means that there are 4,022 members who either just spend all their time here lurking and reading posts (ie have never posted anything), or who signed up and then forgot about it and have never returned. I'd be kinda surprised if there are large numbers of people who read all the discusssions here and don't ever feel the urge to comment on them - that makes me wonder if most CotI subscribers are people who just don't ever read the board. Is there any way to see how many times people have visited the boards?

Just goes to show that despite there being so many members here, only about 3% - less than 200 people - contribute to most of the discussions. That's something to keep in mind when you do polls or when you say that everyone agrees with you ;)
Liam's totted it up a bit differently:

A-class, with 1000+ Posts: = 49
B-class, with 100-999 posts: = 256
C-class, with 10-99 posts: = 614
D-class, with 2-9 posts: = 780
E-class, with 1 (single) post: = 456
X-class, with 0 (zero) posts: = 4,876
0 post = 4,876
1 post = 456
more than 1 post = 1,699
more than 10 posts = 919
more than 100 posts = 305
more than 1000 posts = 49

Except that's 7031 total?

The Lower House raises it's voice in protest about it's exclusion. The Speaker is ordered to inform the Prime Minister of the Houses displeasure.

Should this continue we might find a very conservative esquire from the Imperial Borders and task him with building a New Model Army.

Back