• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Zuchai crystals and dilithium

J.C.D.

SOC-12
I saw a tagline that said 'zuchai= dilithium" and decided to look into it.

First off, about dilithium: There was an original fhannish explanation that said dilithium was used to focus the output of a matter anti matter reactor into a useable form. Dilithium reacts to light by lasing, and is the galaxie's more efficient laser crystal. Even in room light, dilithium will emit faint laser emmissions, tho not visible to most people due to the faintness.

When exposed to the pure photonic energy emitted by a M/A reaction, the dilithium converts 99.999% of it into laser light, which is easy to harness, split, channel, focus, etc. Of course .001% is wasted as heat, which is why dilithium needs elaborate cooling systems.

Now the 'official' explanation, which is a load of BS, is that dilithium is the only element tin the universe that does not react with anti-matter and is used to channel anti-matter. Yeah, right, the fnahs explanation made more sense and I'll stick with it.

Either way, dilithium did not produce energy, just took photonic energy and converted it to a laser beam which could be directed and used more efficiently.

Zuchai, from what I've bene able to gather, does not produce energy either. it merely stores energy with extreme efficiency, and releases it quickly and efficiently under certain conditions.

So, a jump drive built with zuchai crystals instead of capacitors will be smaller, more efficient and reliable than a standard model using capacitors.

Of course zuchai crystals cost buku times more than capacitors, and are rare so most just engines use capacitors.

I think this is the right explanation of zuchai crystals, can comeone verify it? Also I've heard that zuchai was intorduced just to give traveller a new treasure/trade item type and they designers decided to make it like dilithium just for the hell of it, is that true?

From the library data in CT Adventure 4:
Zuchai Crystal: These crystals form the raw material for a vital focussing element in jump drives. They are both naturally occuring and manufactured, but the natural type appear to have longer operating lives. Natural crystals in a raw state are worth about Cr1,000 per kilogram.
I'd go with your last theory ;)

I THINK EVERYONE IS SHOUTING BECAUSE WE'RE (mostly) ALL OLD, DEAF GEEZERS AROUND HERE ANYMORE...ALL THE WHIPPERSNAPPERS ARE BUSY PLAYING THAT HEROCLIX THINGIE...

I think the funniest part of this whole shouting match is that ranger2261 has meanwhile quietly edited his post

I thank you ranger2261 for that, not because I saw it as particularly necessary, but that it shows you have more awareness than a few of the actual ability to edit your post. We need more of that at times.

I'm Terribly Sorry for Shouting.
I Have A Very Bad Cold And My Ears Are So Clogged, I Mistakenly Talked Louder Than I Thought.

Originally posted by far-trader:
I think the funniest part of this whole shouting match is that ranger2261 has meanwhile quietly edited his post

I thank you ranger2261 for that, not because I saw it as particularly necessary, but that it shows you have more awareness than a few of the actual ability to edit your post. We need more of that at times.
Dito
Cudos
Me too (I also went back to edit my post because you gave me a good example to follow)

Please keep up the good work ;)

Originally posted by stofsk:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Andrew Boulton:
Nasty case of Redundant Capitalisation Syndrome you've got there, too...
The English Language; Learn It, Love It, Or Leave It. </font>[/QUOTE]Bilanidin: nikdinerki, nikdaraki, dalim nikaadenki.

Originally posted by stofsk:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Andrew Boulton:
Nasty case of Redundant Capitalisation Syndrome you've got there, too...
The English Language; Learn It, Love It, Or Leave It. </font>[/QUOTE]Mangle it whenever possible, as well. :D

Back