• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Zaon Deckplans...

Scarecrow

SOC-14 1K
Justin Winters, one of the authors and illustrators of the ZAON RPG has posted a link on RPG.net to a free download of deckplans for a small cargo ship along with illustrations of the ship done in 3D. The quality is exceptional and well worth checking out.

RPG.net thread - including an explanation and a link to other deckplans for an imperial frigate

Direct Link to Deckplans PDF - 561K

The ship could easily be used for a Free Trader - something in the 200-300 ton range maybe.

Regards

Crow

This is not, I repeat, NOT my work.

Well, I'm not an authority on the subject but just looking at the site will tell you it's a Sci-Fi roleplaying game rules set akin to Traveller in the sense that it's far-future, interstellar.

It's still a work in progress but a 'beta' version of the rulebook can be downloaded from the site.

The artwork is absolutely stunning! Professional quality CGI images designed and built by the team developing the rules.

My only concern is that the same ammount of effort and thought is put into the rules and environment as the artwork.

Anyway, check it out for yourself:

http://www.zaon.com

Originally posted by Scarecrow:
Well, I'm not an authority on the subject but just looking at the site will tell you it's a Sci-Fi roleplaying game rules set akin to Traveller in the sense that it's far-future, interstellar.

It's still a work in progress but a 'beta' version of the rulebook can be downloaded from the site.
Browsed thru the playtest rulebook, Seems like Traveller on High-SF Steroids ;)

Empires spanning many times that of the Traveller races, 20 races in the basic book alone, classless, ships going over 10000 LY before refuling...

Seems like a good contender to go against Star Wars :D

Hmm... the idea sure looks good, the layout of the beta copy is neat, but since I didn't looked at the rules and the background seriously, I can't really judge. But Sandman is right : it does look like Traveller meets Star Wars.

BTW, the caracter sheet is a little weird...

WOW!

This is quite an impressive looking game. Its sources clearly lie in the likes of Babylon 5, Traveller and Star Wars. Zaon is a beefy, galaxy-spanning RPG that seeps with boundless adventure possibilities.

The artwork is beyond exemplary; the background is rich and inspiring, and the attention to detail is meticulous. There’s no internal artwork in the PDF, but if the final book is half as good as the stuff on the website it’ll be a cut above just about anything else out there. I’ve only briefed over the rules so far, but they appear to be quite functional. Hell it even includes guidelines to handling unruly players.

I’m especially delighted that they went to the effort of sourcing data from JPL and NASA.

This is most definitely a must-have for my RPG collection. Even if the system-engine falls short, the source material for the universe is worth getting it.

P.S. The PDF is 288 pages… for FREE! I’m flabbergasted at Zaon Studios' willingness to do this, but rest assured they are getting my money anyway.

Thank's Scarecrow for bringing this to my attention.

Originally posted by bozzutoman:
P.S. The PDF is 288 pages… for FREE! I’m flabbergasted at Zaon Studios' willingness to do this, but rest assured they are getting my money anyway.
Sure... I'll get it too, if just for a good read. I haven't started my Traveller game yet, but if some players are not liking it I might do a Zaon game when the actual product comes out... Off course, it'll be sprinkled with Traveller Stuff nonetheless so they wouldn't get away with it
file_23.gif

Traveller still has the most extensive "background support" I've seen. I mean by this the star system description/generation, Trading rules, etc.. Hell, you'd be hard pressed to find something comparable to GT:Starports for other RPGs.

Here is what the Orca could be in Traveller Tech.

The tonnage is loosely based on approximation from other ship deckplans and some square patterns layering in PaintShop Pro to do at-a-glance calculations.

NB: This is my first try at Ship Desing, done with Mr. Falkayn's nice Spreadsheet, imported in OpenOffice which works nice ;)

</font><blockquote>code:</font><hr /><pre style="font-size:x-small; font-family: monospace;">Ship TL: 14
Tons: 825
Shape: Cone(1) 90.75 MCr
Structural Integrity: 205

Computer: Model 2, 8 MCr.
Includes the following:
Flight Avionics: 2
Ship Sensors: 2 (Short Range)
Communications : 2 (Short Range)

Jump Drive: 2 pc, 24.75 Tons, 99 MCr
Jump Fuel: 165 Tons
Maneuver Drives: 4G, 90.75 Tons, 45.38 MCr (2)
Power Plant Units: 40 Tons, 120 MCr
Power Plant Fuel: 40 Tons (3)
Fuel Scoops, 0,83 MCr
Fuel Purification Plants, 0,83 MCr
5 Hardpoints 0,5 MCr (4)

Crew: 1 Pilot, 1 Astrogator, 5 Engineer
Stateroom: 4 in double occupancy, 16 Tons, 2 MCr (5)
Fresher 2, 1 Tons, 2000 Cr (6)
Airlock: 1 Additional, 6 Tons, 0,01 MCr (7)
Cargo Space: 403.5 Tons

There is also a Small Craft External Streamlined Dock 12 Tons, 0,1 MCr (8)

Total Cost: 370,71 MCr, (296,57 with discount)

Agility: 0
Initiative: 0
AC: 10
AR: 0

(1) well... kinda ;)
(2) look at those BIG **** Thrusters in the Zaon Design
(3) In those Handy Tanks on Deck 2 and 3
(Orca pictures shows a double barreled thing at
the center and two other "guns" on each side in
the back, plus two "guns" in the front on the
engines)
(5) (Had only 4 stateroom on the plans so I put
them in double to get enough engineer. There
is one bunk left for another crewmember if
necessary)
(6) There aren't any in the stateroom. Consider
them ripped off to get another bed in for the
second crewmember
(7) Two in the nose (port & starboard)
(8) As seen in the Orca's Picture</pre>[/QUOTE]I'll now explain some of my desing decision.

I based my size guestimation by compairing the couch/bed size and setting a grid pattern over the screen dump of the Orca in Paint Shop Pro. I then proceeded to simply count the square of half the ship (2 square = 1t so counting half the ship = ship tonnage) and then rounding off a bit to get a nice number instead of 818 Tons.. My guestimate could easily be off by 25 Tons, but what the heck ;)

4G Thrusters: Can't really get around that, just look at the SIZE they've made them. My idea is to make the Orca a special "High Grav" trader, where normal 1-2G carft wouldn't even lift off the ground.

Jump-2 + J2 Fuel: Deck 1 is almost all machinery and the like. Since J2 and it's fuel takes more space, I've decided to explain Deck 1's machinery as the Jump Fuel tanks and the high debit pumps to drain/balance the fuel.

Streamlined Dock. This could be quite nice for a Pinnacle, and would fit the picture. Just thought I missed some detail for Jump tho. maybe you couldn't use the Pinnacle when jumping.

Hope you like it :D

PS: Feel free to modify it as you like

Originally posted by Sandman:
4G Thrusters: Can't really get around that, just look at the SIZE they've made them.
Yup, that's the problem with the ZAON designs as Traveller ships - the drive to hull proportions are all wrong.

As far as the game itself is concerned, it looked a but clunky to me - two rolls for each task resolution, and four different types of dice for no readily apparent reason. The writing isn't of a very high standard either; this may have affected my view of the background exposition, which had a very "and then...." quality about it, and came over rather generic. Looks great, but I don't think the substance is very appealing. Feels like a homebrew with a lot of visual design smarts thrown at it.

Originally posted by ninthcouncil:
Yup, that's the problem with the ZAON designs as Traveller ships - the drive to hull proportions are all wrong.
IMHO, in Traveller, they *seems* a tad less out of proportion than in Zaon...

As far as the game itself is concerned, it looked a but clunky to me - two rolls for each task resolution, and four different types of dice for no readily apparent reason. The writing isn't of a very high standard either; this may have affected my view of the background exposition, which had a very "and then...." quality about it, and came over rather generic. Looks great, but I don't think the substance is very appealing. Feels like a homebrew with a lot of visual design smarts thrown at it.
Haven't found the time to browse it seriously. I just hate flipping through a PDF :/

Wow! Those are some cool pictures. Traveller needs more cool art work like that to spice things up. The Zaon site is Art-Sexy!

Originally posted by Nightshade:
Traveller needs more cool art work like that to spice things up.
Well, I've got a couple of projects in the works specifically for Traveller but sadly neither are finished yet.

You can see the work-in-progress images under the RPG section of my personal site:

Crow's Nest

Regards

Crow

Originally posted by Scarecrow:
Originally posted by Nightshade:
Well, I've got a couple of projects in the works specifically for Traveller but sadly neither are finished yet.

You can see the work-in-progress images under the RPG section of my personal site:

Crow's Nest

Regards

Crow
VERY nice work
)

Have you been approached by someone publishing Traveller for artwork?

If not... <SHOUTING> HUNTER/MARTIN!!! CONTACT HIM! </SHOUTING>

THREAD RESURRECT

Here is what the Orca could be ...

The tonnage is loosely based on approximation from other ship deckplans and some square patterns layering in PaintShop Pro to do at-a-glance calculations.

Code:
Tons: 825
Shape: Cone(1)

FTL Drive: 25 Tons
Thrusters: 90 Tons (2)
Power Plant: 40 Tons
Fuel: 40 Tons (3)
Fuel Scoops & Purifiers
5 Hardpoints (4)

Crew: 1 Pilot, 1 Astrogator, 5 Engineer
Stateroom: 4 in double occupancy, 16 Tons
Fresher 2, 1 Tons (6)
Airlock: 1 Additional, 6 Tons (7)
Cargo Space: 400 Tons

There is also a Small Craft External Streamlined Dock 12 Tons (8)

(1) well... kinda ;)
(2) look at those BIG **** Thrusters in the Zaon Design
(3) In those Handy Tanks on Deck 2 and 3 
(4) Orca pictures shows a double barreled thing at
    the center and two other "guns" on each side in
    the back, plus two "guns" in the front on the
    engines
(5) (Had only 4 stateroom on the plans so I put 
    them in double to get enough engineer.  There 
    is one bunk left for another crewmember if 
    necessary)
(6) There aren't any in the stateroom. Consider 
    them ripped off to get another bed in for the 
    second crewmember
(7) Two in the nose (port & starboard)
(8) As seen in the Orca's Picture

I'll now explain some of my desing decision.

I based my size guesstimation by comparing the couch/bed size and setting a grid pattern over the screen dump of the Orca in Paint Shop Pro. I then proceeded to simply count the square of half the ship (2 square = 1t so counting half the ship = ship tonnage) and then rounding off a bit to get a nice number instead of 818 Tons.. My guestimate could easily be off by 25 Tons, but what the heck ;)

Engineering note: Deck 1 is almost all antigrav plates, drive machinery, and the like.

My guesstimates were less scientific, but I came up with this, independent of the above.

Code:
Class: Orca Mk III
Mission: Freighter (with options for Lab and Blockade Runner)
Hull: 800-1000 tons 
Crew: 4 (from the docs)
FTL: 22 tons
Fuel: 40 tons
Cargo: 330 tons (varies by type, though)

Surprisingly, the results are close to Sandman's. I consider this validation of both our estimates, so I will amend my guesses towards Sandman's, thus I suggest:

Code:
Hull: 900 tons
Crew: 4
FTL: 25 tons
Fuel: 40 tons
Thrusters: 90 Tons
Power Plant: 40 Tons
Cargo: 400 tons

I suppose the thrusters are reaction-based, though there's only 40 tons of reaction mass to carry a ship 3700 light years before requiring a refuel.

I SUGGEST that the FTL is a subspace drive; thrusters are necessary in order to move in subspace, therefore all the fuel mass is consumed by the thrusters, whether in realspace or subspace. Thus the FTL "stardrive" is a toggle switch on a big box attached to the power plant.

The Orca (two versions of it) is featured in Xboat No. 3, courtesy Brian Stearns, who helped me port it. (Thank you Brian!)

Back