• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Your favorite Type-S dp?

Over the years, we've seen many versions of the good old Type-S deckplan, including a newer one from QLI. My question is:

What is your favorite deck plan, and why?

For myself, I must say that the newer Type-S exterior really appeals to me, as it is more aerodynamic and visually appealing (don't get me wrong, I do love the good old Wedgie), but the deckplan leaves me a bit cold, with the stairs and all, it strikes me as too big and cumbersome an interior for some reason. It doesn't make 'living' sense, much as many houses are laid out oddly.

I think I prefer the GURPS Nobles Type-S that has been converted into a noblewomans yatch, where she took over the top gallery as her personal quarters. It's just the kind of thing to rile up the other PCs (",, why dont I get a big bedroom...?")

The original Type S deckplan is romantic.

For a small ship, it has alot of nooks and crannies. I know, I know, it doesn't quite fit inside it's tonnage or dimensions, but tis too nice a ship to quibble about that. In T20 terms, it more or less squares with it's dtonnage (with the upper gallery and rear 'recroom' being part of the cargo bay once it's gone detatched).

The newer deckplans look cramped and claustrophobic, but with easier access to engineering and payload.

IMTU the CT Type S is a crew favourite, despite its smelliness, hard to access gear, and dispersed cargo bay, while the newer, 'Gateway' design is preferred by the engineers and maintenance crews who overhaul and refit them.

The older was designed by a pilot and the latter by a mechanic.

btw, the CT one is called a Sulieman; does the newer one have a class name. Atm I call it 'Snowbird'.

For me, it has always been the Serpent Class. I love the airframe design, and the dual deck is great.

My attempt at designing and deck-planning a Type-S:

Ship: Scout-Courier
Class: Scout-Courier
Type: Explorer
Tech Level: 11
</font><blockquote>code:</font><hr /><pre style="font-size:x-small; font-family: monospace;">USP
S2-11222R1-030000-00001-0 MCr53.4 100 Tons
Bat Bear 1 1 Crew: 2
Bat 1 1 TL: 11</pre>[/QUOTE]Cargo: 17 Fuel: 22 EP: 2 Agility: 2
Craft: 1x 2T Martian Mechanics Pavonis Enclosed Air/Raft
Fuel Treatment: Fuel Scoops and On Board Fuel Purification

Architects Fee: MCr0.5 Cost in Quantity: MCr42.8

Detailed Description
(High Guard Design)

HULL
100 tons standard, 1,400 cubic meters, Needle/Wedge Configuration

CREW
Scout (functions as Pilot/Engineer), Gunner

ENGINEERING
Jump-2, 2G Manuever, Power plant-2, 2 EP, Agility 2

AVIONICS
Bridge, Model/1bis Computer

HARDPOINTS
1 Hardpoint

ARMAMENT
1 Dual Mixed Turret with: 1 Missile Rack (Factor-1).

DEFENCES
1 Sandcaster in the Mixed Turret, organised into 1 Battery (Factor-3)

CRAFT
1x 2-ton Martian Mechanics Pavonis Enclosed Air/Raft (Cost of MCr0.27)

FUEL
22 Tons Fuel (2 parsecs jump and 28 days endurance)
On Board Fuel Scoops, On Board Fuel Purification Plant

MISCELLANEOUS
4 Staterooms, 17 Tons Cargo

COST
MCr53.7 Singly (incl. Architects fees of MCr0.5), MCr42.5 in Quantity, plus MCr0.27 of Carried Craft

CONSTRUCTION TIME
38 Weeks Singly, 30 Weeks in Quantity
Type-S2.gif

A1. Bridge.
A2. Avionics and Communications; a floor hatch leads to B10; a ceiling hatch leads to the dorsal turret.
A3. Upper Airlock.
---
B1. Fuel and Fuel Scoops.
B2.-B4. Landing Gear.
B5.-B8. Staterooms.
B9. Corridor.
B10. Crew Lounge; a ceiling hatch leads to A2.
B11. Ship's Locker.
B12. Life Support.
B13. Cargo Bay.
B14. Air/Raft Bay.
B15.-B16. Engineering Compartment.

Ooo, when does that come out?

Have you ever noticed that most deckplans don't include a way for the crew to disembark when the ship (if it is capable) is grounded? I really like that it was thought about there in that linked DP.
I've always been a fan of having the state rooms for small designs symetrically distributed on either side of teh main corridor, if for nothing else than having the same number of windows on each side (I think that having a bunch of windows down one side would create a possible structural/defensive weakiness, but hten again I don't know much about those things...).
Will that design system take things like ramps into account? I figure that they'd be extendable, rather than full length upon retracting.

Another interesting that I have noticed over the years playing are how different people 'see' the interiors of ships. Some see them as very dirty places with grime all over the walls, stains and marks and scratches and a 1940s tramp freighter feel to them, where as other people have their ships carpetted with nice appointments and acessories, kind of like working yatchs.
There is a pretty good section on interiors in the old MT Starship Operators Manual (one of the best supplements that has been published for Traveller IMHO).
Man, I sure would like to see that book updated and with new art, it'd be a best seller pretty quick!

Originally posted by El Darbo:
Ooo, when does that come out?
Don't take it as the official line, but I could say that the new Avenger ruleset is very likely to come out before Christmas.

Have you ever noticed that most deckplans don't include a way for the crew to diembark when the ship (if it is capable) is grounded?
My design, for the very least, allows both disembarkment when landed (using either the Cargo Bay or the Air/Raft Bay as an airlock) and docking with other space craft (using the main airlock near the bridge). I'd imagine that my design lands on relatively short retractible landing skids (which also include folding wheels for runway/road landing), and thus the lower deck is about 1m abouve the ground, allowing the outer Cargo Bay and Air/Raft Bay doors to open downward and serve as a loading ramp. I'd imagine that the upper airlock will have a rope-ladder stashed in it for disembarkment in the case that something (like deep mud) will block the lower bay doors.

I agree with Andrew - but I also liked that Type-S modified design in one of the supplements (a mining variant, was it?)

Have you ever noticed that most deckplans don't include a way for the crew to disembark when the ship (if it is capable) is grounded?
If you look at the Suli, there's a corridor that goes nowhere past the door to the Air/raft bay. Just enough space for a Millenium Falcon style ramp there.

Originally posted by mickazoid:
I agree with Andrew - but I also liked that Type-S modified design in one of the supplements (a mining variant, was it?)
Yep, the Seeker (type J) in Supp 7. A cool reuse of the type S though still hampered by the same problems of that particular deckplan.

I guess I will stick with the old Suleiman deckplansI got with Snapshot, even though they don't fit very well in the hull.

The Suleiman wedge is a classic hypersonic wave-rider hull. The Serpent has a 1940s feel, like I need to put the female characters in brass brassiers. The blunt T20 nose is good for bleeding off re-entry energy or subsonic cruise.

Originally posted by Aramis:
For me, it has always been the Serpent Class. I love the airframe design, and the dual deck is great.
The Serpent Class Type S was the one proposed by Paranoia Press, the old Traveller licensees that published Scouts & Assassins even before GDW ever created Book 6 (Scouts).

I sorta liked that concept, becase it resembled an aerodynamic (streamlined) 747 jumbo jet aircraft. Nothing says "Retro Is Cool" like flying a Serpent Class scoutship.

However, I still stick with the canonical GDW classic version when it comes to giving away Mustering Out scoutships in my campaign, which is the wedge-shaped Suleiman class. And if anyone asks, the original source of the OFFICIAL Suleiman class deckplan is from GDW's own Little Black Book called "Traders and Gunboats" (Supplement 7)

Whoever did the Intrepid Class Scout did an excellent job on the deck plan. I have since lost the image but I recall it having everything I would want. Scarecrow’s take is cool but I need the wedge.

Originally posted by Kurega Gikur:
Whoever did the Intrepid Class Scout did an excellent job on the deck plan. I have since lost the image but I recall it having everything I would want. Scarecrow’s take is cool but I need the wedge.
Not the original from Snapshot right? Maybe you mean Peter's retake of that classic? From his page here:

Peter's Traveller Page

It's nice, like all of his work
And fairly true to the original as I recall it.

Didn't Crow finally do a Wedgie deckplan? Hmm, found the thread:

Crow's Wedgie

But I don't see deckplans, maybe I imagined it? What's up Crow? Did it never quite get to the finished deckplans stage? No problem, I know how "fun" that can be and it can only be more so for your level of detail.

As to the original question "What is your favorite (type S) deck plan, and why?"

I was gonna say my deckplans are my favorite because they "fit" my sensibilities and needs whereas the rest mostly drive me buggy in one way or another

My plans are linked from this discussion:

http://www.travellerrpg.com/cgi-bin/Trav/CotI/Discuss/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=4;t=000255;p=1

...but then I recalled Scarecrow's Florian version :D That is one beautiful set of deckplans and art. I also like his renditions of the old wedgie. If he hasn't yet, and I only imagined it, but ever manages to put together some deckplans for it without going insane I'm sure they'll be my instant favorite. His Traveller stuff is here:

http://www.waynepeters.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/rpgs.htm

Back