• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Yet, more on Container ships...

My thoughts at the time were a number of SDB's on 2-3 month deployments patrolling the gas giants and any other settled planets/moons/belts in the system, the same number undergoing refitting & maintenance, and another of the same number undergoing training and ready for deployment around the Mainworld when needed.

Captain & Mate split the shifts, 2 Pilots, Navigators, Sensors, Engineers, 1 Medic, Mess Cook, 4 Ships Troops for boarding & security, 3 Gunners (1 for triple lasers and 2 taking turns triple missile launcher & ordinance man).

I did think of having a SDB base around the gas giant closest to the Mainworld and any other important settlements in the system, but having patrolling SDB's were my priority.

The SDB's are for pirate suppression, security, rescue, and letting the settlements know that they haven't been forgotten by the Mainworld.

Something like this.

Actually this probably covers a lot of the bottom end of Adventure Size Class as well.

But you are right smaller, lower endurance vessels is probably the scope.

that range covers the Type S, Type J and X-Boat. There aren't many other 100 dTon starships that I can think of.

that range covers the Type S, Type J and X-Boat. There aren't many other 100 dTon starships that I can think of.
Odd thought just occurred to me. Traveller Container ships are more akin to ro-ro ships than container ships do to the described cargo handling from the March Harrier.

Actually this probably covers a lot of the bottom end of Adventure Size Class as well.

But you are right smaller, lower endurance vessels is probably the scope.
LBB2.81 is geared towards commercial merchant shipping, with a dabbling in space combat features.
Most commercial starships are going to be "short haul" through normal space affairs, mainly doing starport to jump point transits in normal space and remarkably little else. Under such circumstances, when a starship isn't going to be doing much (if any) interplanetary travel you can get by (and get away with) only a single crew standing watch for the limited durations of orbital transfers from jump point to starport and back again.

It's when you start needing to maneuver for weeks/months at a stretch without relief that having a 2-4x crew complement so as to set up watch rotations stars becoming more important and makes more sense.

Back