• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Will you make the leap to T5?

Just curious.

Some Traveller players continually jump to the newest edition, preferring not to play a "dead" game. Others, like myself, are married to a particular rules set that they like and are comfortable.

Armed with what you know right now about T5, will you make the jump? Or, do you plan on continuing with your current game mechanics (because we're talking about mechanics--the OTU is the same).

Me?

I will probably stay with Classic Traveller. I've got the system down pat. I like it. And, I've perfected it to suit my own tastes.

That's based on what I know now of T5--on what I've seen or heard of it. I haven't been impressed enough with what's leaked through to get excited about a new edition of Traveller.

Will I buy some T5 supplements? Maybe. Depends on how compatible they are with CT.

On the other hand, let me say this: I'm keeping an open mind. I want nothing more than to pick up T5 the first time I lay eyes on it and be totally blown away.

So, is there a 100% chance I'll stick with CT? Nope. Not at all. If what I see in T5 is better (and only I can be the judge of that), then you bet. I'll make the leap. I'll convert my whole CT campaign over to T5.

But, that level of quality has got to be there. It's got to be better than "good". Because, what I've got now is pretty doggone good. T5's got to be "excellent" in order for me to think the move in effort and money is worth it.

If T5 delivers, though, I'll do it.

If it doesn't, I'm stickin' with CT.

What about you? What's your expectation of T5?

Are you already expecting to make the leap?

Are you, like me, taking a wait-and-see approach?

Or, will you not even consider taking the leap?

Well S4, my sentiments are almost exactly the same as yours.

What about you? What's your expectation of T5?
I'm hoping that T5 is a supped up, consolidated version very close to CT.

Are you already expecting to make the leap?
We'll see. It looks to me like T5 will not be released anytime soon.

Are you, like me, taking a wait-and-see approach?
Yep. I'll almost certainly buy the book, but will have to weigh out if I'll change or not.

Or, will you not even consider taking the leap?
I'll try anything once... except heroine.. :eek:

I don't continually jump editions. I embraced MT as an authentic improvement, but I despised TNE, and T4, while it gave me hope, failed in several key areas. It had a very poor dice system, and like TNE, way over-emphasized the value of attributes.

If the previews are too be believed, T5's task system sounds way too close to T4's for may happiness. I'll have to wait and see, and if I do use it may be dependent upon other aspects of the system worth stepping forward to.

*puts on flame proof suit*

For rules systems to DM and for PC creation, I prefer D20 and GURPS for Traveller rather than CT. But if there's any new T5 "sector" books or new material in sourcebooks I'll probably get those.

Mike

I've got three editions of Traveller, but never stray far from CT; I'm not details-oriented enough to enjoy the others, and some parts of them seem downright unfriendly.

I'll buy T5. I want to trade in CT's rules. I already know T5 is robust. But T4 was robust and fell flat. So, for me, T5's will have to be accessible like CT is accessible.

Originally posted by Qstor2:

For rules systems to DM and for PC creation, I prefer D20 and GURPS for Traveller rather than CT. But if there's any new T5 "sector" books or new material in sourcebooks I'll probably get those.

Mike
I'll join you in part of that. I really love T20 (Ok I house ruled a few things, but who doesn't?) I have suppemets and source marerial from every other flavour of Traveller, so I won't rule out buying T5 material, but T20 will remain my prefered rule set.

R

Like S4, I'll probably raid it for ideas - if there are any new ideas - but it will have to be VERY good to make me abandon, or significantly adapt, thirty years of CT-centred house rules!

And I'd love to get my hands on a little heroine.

I know with almost 100% accuracy that I will purchase T5. And with equal certainty it will end up just sitting on my self with hundreds of other game books.

I pretty much won't buy until I've looked through it. And what I've seen in playtest tells me that Marc made a big booboo in not letting ACT go forward...

Originally posted by Qstor2:

Substitute GURPS with MT, and I am right there with you.

Not a chance that I will buy more rules. More background data that is non-rules specific, or easily converted to T20, those I'll buy. I have CT, MT, TNE and T20, of those only CT and T20 have ever led to a long term campaign. TNE never got used, and I never went beyond the basic rulebook. I'll stick to running T20 campaigns.

Uh...what the heck is ACT?

I have been using CT ever since it came out in 1977. (Yes, I'm that old...
). Bought MT extensively and sort of moved in that direction...

T4 just the first book. Wasn't highly impressed.

TNE sort of fascinated me, but the wack character generation system turned me off. Their twist on the task system has me rethinking studying it, though.

If T5 has a core book with the basic rules, like LBB 1-3 together, I would buy it for archival purposes...but play? Probably not.

Originally posted by Dominion Loyalty Officer:
Uh...what the heck is ACT?
It was a rules set that was being worked on by MJD under the Avenger banner that supposedly closely resembled Classic Traveller; the project has been shelved; avenger is working on a non Traveller SF game called Translight.

Back