• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Who's doing what?

Lords, I have a proposal.

Can we citizens come together and discuss our various Traveller Related Projects in an overview style? Who is working on What? What you got going on over there across the world, Citizen?

Perhaps we could collectively reorganize ourselves into teams based on Traveller Version (CT,MT,GT, etc)and then on Area of DEvelopment (Starships, Aliens, Robots, Maps, Art)

I am convinced there are enough extremely talented writers, artists, and gamers here to start cranking out some top drawer stuff. For money would be nice, but if just for fun, why not?

It is a concerted effort of which I speak.

Well, I'm currently reading about Hiver and mulling over some ideas for a more 'organic' Hiver ship idea and maybe a 1:8 sculpture of an Aslan and also a map of the Spinward Marches with a view to running my first Traveller game ever! I also have a slew of ships still under construction (which you are familiar with) and also the Catfish Class 300 ton 'Mamma-San' that'll either be for Traveller or for Firefly - still not decided.

Given my past record, I imagine none of these will ever see the light of day, but that's what's buzzing around in my head at the moment (Traveller related that is).

Crow

Two things, when time permits (which is to say, not very often. ;) ):

A "clean" setting as discussed in the "Megatraveller > Rebellion Redux" thread - Basically, midway through the Rebellion, at about the point when it becomes clear that Lucan is a nutcase and things are going way downhill, a noble (Duke) pulls together a bunch of resources to get out of Imperial space (way out) and colonize an unexplored area of space. There will be enough different races and technology included so that it can be something of a microcosm of the empire and be a "small ship TU" at least for a while.

The second thing is a bunch of stories percolating in my head about a team of young explorers in the Regency circa 1200. The stories will progress through their genesis, the Zhodani migration and eventually into the old Imperium. I have a very early draft of the first story done and some outlines for the others.

Jim you illustrate a point, and a reason why many projects are hard to get off the ground. Most of it a reflection of Personal Taste. That is why tighter knit work groups dedicated to the particular area (be it Rebellion, TNE, 2300, what have you) Putting people interested in thier areas in the right group.

Take Lord Gruffty's example of the Spica Project. This I felt was derailed early by Mal's insistance on using a new generation system. The point of the exercise was to define and flesh out the Spica Sector for use, but it turned into basically starting from scratch. Opinion of how it should go was why group effort ended. The Stars of Spica are defined. We should have went from there.

I suggest we build on existing as much as possible, and new elements will logically appear with no need to invent a new Alien Species or Galaxy Crushing Empire. If data exists from a good source, use it. That sort of thing.

Take Lord Gruffty's example of the Spica Project. This I felt was derailed early by Mal's insistance on using a new generation system. The point of the exercise was to define and flesh out the Spica Sector for use, but it turned into basically starting from scratch. Opinion of how it should go was why group effort ended. The Stars of Spica are defined. We should have went from there.
Data should be used only if the person using it feels it's valid. It's well known and thoroughly proven that most existing stellar data doesn't even follow GDW's own rules about how to generate it, let alone follow anything close to reality.

Gruffty seemed to have no problem in using my updated star generation system, and seems to be happy to continue to use it. So I think your accusation that Spica was somehow 'derailed' because of that is somewhat misplaced.

I know I seem to be CotI's favourite punching bag to foist blame on, but you could at least not just randomly make up stuff to blame on me. :rolleyes:

I'm currently doing art for two different Traveller projects (and not getting paid for either <sigh>), as well as odd little bits and pieces.

I'm *really* tempted by the new fiction anthology idea...

I was working on a write-up of my Basic Role-Playing (RuneQuest 3) conversion for Traveller, but the news that Chaosium's Deluxe BRP is on the cusp of publication has caused me to pause, perched in a rictus of anticipation on the edge of my computer chair.

And yes, that Spinward fiction anthology sounds very interesting indeed ...

You are not a punching bag, quite the contrary. Your insight to astronomic data is excellent, and quite a boon, but we should not focus on "realism" as much as "get the stuff going". Need to temper Hard Science with producing books.

I also LOVE real, but also know that the game MUST be accessible if it is to grow. Real real can mean 500-page books of data, as I am sure you know.

The above mention was not an attack. Just an Observation as to direction and focus. Expansion of data, regardless of how "real" it is should be the way to go, as it has been defined. No posted activity since Semptember constitutes "Derailed" in terms of this overall project.

It was not your fault, but people couldn't come to terms with this or that, and it went from a project with many workers to 2. Most of these things get sidetracked by superfluous disagreements on setting, rules minutae, etc.
We should implement a more strident release schedule and deadlines, making up for the lack of RL time by numbers of Participants. Reinventing the wheel is not a good place to start. Even if the wheel was square to begin with.

This thread is also not intended to begin arguments on "why should we" or "which Traveller is Best" Because that is another sidetracking element. Got an Alternate Star System Generation Setup? Lets get together and Release it, as a book. With Art. Maps. The Whole nine yards, but we should also use what is there, for there is plenty of it for us all to work and expand on till we are worm food.

Again, why not?

Originally posted by TempMal:
Gruffty seemed to have no problem in using my updated star generation system, and seems to be happy to continue to use it.
This is true. I don't think the Spica Sector thing fell apart because of Mal's stellar generation system - I'm of the opinion it ceased to function because people have real lives, limited free time to expend on Traveller-related antics, and a whole host of other reasons that put the mockers on the project.

I cannot, and will not, blame any one individual or group of individuals for the demise of the Spica Sector Project.

If anyone should cop any flack for the CSSP going down the pan, it should be me, as I took on the "project manager's" role and hat, and thus, by definition and default, the desk with the "The Buck Stops Here" sign sitting on it.

The CSSP was an enormous task that started well then ran out of steam - again, that is no-one's fault, it is just how these things go sometimes.

As adults we have to accept the fact that we cannot do everything, all at the same time, at full steam ahead. The CSSP was just such a case. I am grateful to have been involved in the CSSP and it has given me inspiration to move forward. All of the CotI members that contributed to the CSSP gave something of themselves, their time, effort, energy and imaginations to the project. I am massively grateful for that and their contributions to the CSSP.

It's well known and thoroughly proven that most existing stellar data doesn't even follow GDW's own rules about how to generate it, let alone follow anything close to reality.
This was the whole reason for redeveloping the Spica stellar data. Realistic stellar data does not, in my opinion, reduce or change the opportunites for enjoyable role-playing game settings. It makes the game "feel" more "real" and thus more believable.

Just my Cr 0.02 worth. <steps off soapbox>

Originally posted by Gruffty:
This is true. I don't think the Spica Sector thing fell apart because of Mal's stellar generation system - I'm of the opinion it ceased to function because people have real lives, limited free time to expend on Traveller-related antics, and a whole host of other reasons that put the mockers on the project.
Oddly enough, I think that I actually predicted that this would happen when the Spica Project was starting. I'll say it again though, because every now and then well-meaning people like the Baron need a bit of a slap in the face from reality to bring them back down to Earth.

The fact is that big, commununal online projects that rely on lots of people to contribute to them for free are generally doomed to failure. Most of the time it's because real life gets in the way, but there's also the fact that it could end up taking so much time that the people contributing start wondering if it's even worth it since they're not getting anything back for their time, and furthermore there's the old adage of too many cooks spoiling the broth - people have different ideas about where to take things and the project just ends up being pulled apart (especially true of a Traveller project).

That's just how things are. No amount of idealistic, visionary pep-talking is going to change that. There's no "we can all do this if we try" about it at all - it just doesn't work like that.

At the end of the day, there's usually one or two people who have 'the vision' in any given project, and they're the ones that were most enthusiastic about it to start with. As far as I know, Gruff's still sorting bits out with Spica when he has the time (based on his emails) - and that's all that really matters.

The key thing, I've found, is that you have to want to do a project like this for yourself. As long as that's true, then you can keep tinkering away at it when the mood strikes you. If you start doing it because of other people, or because you feel an obligation to the community as a whole, then that's when you should just pull the plug. That's why I shelved my own worldbuilding stuff - I realised that I wasn't doing it for my own enjoyment or edification any more, I was doing it because I felt obliged to everyone else here, people who to be honest I owed nothing at all and who mostly just didn't seem to be all that interested in what I was doing anyway. It became a hell of a drag because of that, til I realised that I'd got it done to a level that *I* was satisfied with, and that was good enough reason to call it quits. I just wasn't going to spend more of my time pulling loads of documents and notes together just so everyone else could use it, and I was fed up of being at other peoples' beck and call and doing a lot of work to answer their astronomical problems for free. Call that selfish if you like - it quite probably is, but I'd reached the end of my tether there. I felt I'd spent enough of my time doing that sort of thing and I wasn't going to carry on with it out of any sense of obligation, because I sure wasn't finding it fun anymore.

So basically, if you have a vision of a project, then just get on with it and do it for yourself until such time as it's done or until you lose interest in it. Don't expect or rely on other people, because in most cases these things just fizzle out. That's just how it goes.

Originally posted by Baron Saarthuran von Gushiddan:
I really only meant it as an example...
I understand that, BSvG, but I just felt I needed to ensure that the whole Spica thing was put into perspective. No offence was intended, and I apologise if that is how my post came across.

However, it would still be great to hear what others are doing, as this could reap benefits if (say) a couple of people were working on similiar ideas of a similiar nature (say, a campaign or a sector). Sharing ideas and concepts is a great way of working and enables people who are are working on such projects to expand their content and the diversity of the project, i.e. instead of being just a "jump on a starship and shoot some aliens" scenario, something richer and fuller is developed.

So No then, Mal?

Mal, what is it exactly that prevents you from being civil? You talk like some jaded game store owner or failed artist with this.

A simple no would do, or simply do not take part if you dont want to. To you it may be a "pep talk", but to me, it makes sense. People can work at thier own volition. Don't like it? Don't do it.

It makes me wonder what exactly you get out of this when invariably everything you put forth is generally hostile, negative, and not really helpful. Are you here principally to be a naysayer? And if so, why? To what end?

Also, you never know until you try, and you seem unwilling to even start so thats that.

I do not care why you quit this or that. I think the quitting is the issue. I am sure there are few that feel you have some sort of obligation to browbeat people when they want to do stuff. going by just your posts, you seem to hate Traveller, the people that play it, and the people that made it.

Again, you are here for what exactly? To yell at me?

Originally posted by Baron Saarthuran von Gushiddan:
[QB]Mal, what is it exactly that prevents you from being civil?
I've been perfectly civil here. You're the one that wants to ignore basic facts about how these projects fail. But again, you insist on making me the scapegoat and the bad guy here just because I have a different view to you.

It makes me wonder what exactly you get out of this when invariably everything you put forth is generally hostile, negative, and not really helpful.
I'm being realistic. Time and time again, I've seen these big projects fail for exactly the same reasons. The fact that you want to deny that these reasons exist and still pretend that everyone can magically focus on the same purpose on long term projects is not my problem.

Also, you never know until you try, and you seem unwilling to even start so thats that.
Another baseless statement from you. I've tried - I've tried very hard in fact. I certainly don't need anyone to lecture me about how I'm "unwilling to start" when I've started (and finished) a lot of projects.

I am sure there are few that feel you have some sort of obligation to browbeat people when they want to do stuff.
This would be the same chip on your shoulder that makes you think I 'browbeat' Gruffty into using the realistic stellar generation system for Spica? The one that he willingly decided to use?

For once, open your eyes and see what's actually happening instead of what you want to see.

You can waste your time on some big project that's going to "save Traveller" or whatever for all I care. But if you go into it seriously thinking you'll succeed, you're deluding yourself. You just have to look at past projects to see that.

I've been perfectly civil here.
Really?
For once, open your eyes and see what's actually happening instead of what you want to see.

You can waste your time on some big project that's going to "save Traveller" or whatever for all I care. But if you go into it seriously thinking you'll succeed, you're deluding yourself. You just have to look at past projects to see that.
We seem to have different ideas of what defines "civil."

Perhaps you're right, Malenfant, but then again, perhaps you're not. I collaborate with colleagues on projects all over the world, often in my "spare" time - who's to say that a group of Citizens won't click together and do the same? Past performance is not the sole determinant of future success.

At the very least, if you have doubts, that's understandable, but what is gained by telling people that they're deluding themselves for setting goals that they may or may not attain? It may be that a project dies on the vine - it may be that a Citizen does most of the work individually but uses the forum as a means of generating creative feedback (peer review is a form of collaboration - I shouldn't have to explain that to another scientist) - and it may be that the collaborators actually pull off a project.

It may also be that it's nothing more than a pleasant diversion for gamers who want something more than what they get sitting around the table. Thinking about ways to make the game better tends to make my games better, even if I never commit all of my insights and ideas into a shareable format.

In any case, what is it to you if they do or don't? If you don't want to take part because you find the effort unlikely to bear fruit, that's fine, but why cast aspersions on others as well?

Back