• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Which Word Gets the Most Emphasis in Science Fiction Role-playing Game?

As titled. Which word in Science Fiction Role-playing Game do you place the most emphasis on? Is it Science, or Fiction, or Role-playing, or Game?

Good question! Though to me Science-Fiction is one word

I'd say the weighting is about equal, perhaps softest on the Sci-Fi* and emphasis on one or the other depending on the group and mood. Yep, good question, but tough to answer for me anyway.

* being mostly descriptive, as in the setting is Sci-Fi as opposed to (for example) Detective-Fiction, Horror-Fiction or Fantasy-Fiction.

"Game", as in "we do this for fun".If it isn't enjoyable for the players, than why play it? the rest are just means for that end - science for suspension of disbelief and for the sci-fi atmosphere, fiction for plot and intrigue, role-playing is the type of the game and a very enjoyable one at this

Science, because that's what makes it unique. It implies that it's a futuristic setting or extrapolating from the present day and what we know of the universe.

Game, although the science-fiction background that gives it limitless possibilities and keeps it fresh and interesting is a close second. I use it as a wargaming engine anymore, so the role-playing aspects have faded in importance.

'Game' because that implies 'fun'. If isn't fun why are you wasting any of your precious free time on it?

Fun can and does mean different things to different people though...

Have fun,
Bill

Pardon my earlier cynicism lords, the result of a bad day... been reading too much Ringo.

Emphasis should be on the clear presentation of events by the Referee/GM, and the quality of characterization by the Players...

Also, anything that serves to popularize science and technology (especially with younger players) even in an indirect or minor manner, has got my support!

I emphasize Game, then RP, then Science Fiction. I'm of the camp that science fiction, behind all the nifty gadgets and such, is about people and character development, and so RP rides herd on the trappings that SF places upon it.

But the fun of the Game is paramount.

If I didn't play, I'd probably say SF, but since I do, the emphasis is on the Game.

Enjoy,
Flynn

For me it has always been about the "Science Fiction" followed by "Role Playing". I have always loved a good story that takes me to the far reaches of the galaxy while grounding me in the everyday hussle of a thousand worlds. Relations of war & peace, of love and conflict manifesting themselves amongst the light of thousand burning suns.

For this to work, I need a credible Science Fiction that may veer into Space Opera but stay grounded in a semblence of reality. ALthough, my own notions have reality have shifted quite a bit over the years...

It's a bit of an odd question though. Kinda like saying "which word is more important in 'Personal Comuputer'" or "book shelf".

The whole thing is what's important. It's a sci-fi roleplaying game - that's what makes it what it is, a game in which you roleplay in an make-believe universe based on the imagined impact of science on a society.

We may emphasise different parts of it (and personally, I emphasise the science), but that doesn't change the overall picture.

Originally posted by Malenfant:
It's a bit of an odd question though. Kinda like saying "which word is more important in 'Personal Comuputer'" or "book shelf".

The whole thing is what's important. It's a sci-fi roleplaying game - that's what makes it what it is, a game in which you roleplay in an make-believe universe based on the imagined impact of science on a society.

We may emphasise different parts of it (and personally, I emphasise the science), but that doesn't change the overall picture.
I agree that it is an odd question, I don't think people have considered it before. See, while the overall picture may remain the same - the emphasis shows the frame of reference of the observer for that picture. Context is everything here.

Ha! Made you think out of the box! Buy me a beer now!
file_21.gif

For me, it has been Game that has most emphasis. This is something I do to entertain myself and others. Fun being a goal in itself.

They've certainly considered "which is more important, the 'science' or the 'fiction'", I see that argument pop up all the time on places like rpgnet.

I think the various aspects of "roleplaying" and "game" have been thought about too. Viz: the whole GNS thing, and various other ideas like that, analysing what we want out of the experience.

Box? I don't need no steenkin' box!

role playing.

i love getting into character and thinking about how they may react in a certain situation, particularly the absurdly ordinary things. trav is a particularly enjoyable setting for this for me because of the detail and the drive for internal consistency which make the "rules of the environment" stable and thus allow character development........

1. Game! I do this for intertainment. And it does'nt matter if I am actually playing, reading the wealth of material put out for OTU, and by other players or trying to put it into a spreadsheet etc. It's something I can do by myself or with others of a like mind (Well in some ways at least!)
2. Science-Fiction or even in some ways Science-Factual. I have done the fantasy bit if nothing else was avaliable, but it just is not believeable. I have tried the Super Hero version of fantasy and like it better than the swords & sourcery fantasy, especially if the hero/villian is science based. I still would rather deal with Si-Fi or the science possible qenre.
3. Role, not roll-playing.

The hyphen.

I'm serious! The hyphen binds two or more unrelated concepts into one, thus forming a concept that is greater than the sum of its parts; this is Traveller.

My second choice is "Game" because it's supposed to be fun!

HKR

Originally posted by Heretic Keklas Rekobah:
The hyphen.

I'm serious! The hyphen binds two or more unrelated concepts into one, thus forming a concept that is greater than the sum of its parts; this is Traveller.

My second choice is "Game" because it's supposed to be fun!

HKR
I put this same question up on ENworld and most of the answers I got was "the hyphen", except I didn't get a decent explanation for why!

Congrats! You win a beer of your choosing!

Back