• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Which Campaign Setting Sourcebooks Would You Like to See?

Which Campaign Setting Sourcebooks Would You Like to See?

• The Ancients Era

Votes: 13 4.1%
  • The Ziru Sirka (First Imperium)

Votes: 16 5.0%
  • The Interstellar Wars (currently in development by SJG for GURPS Traveller)

• The Rule of Man (Second Imperium)

Votes: 19 5.9%
  • The Long Night

• Milieu 0 (Founding of the Third Imperium)

Votes: 9 2.8%
  • The Civil War

Votes: 20 6.3%
  • The Millennium Era (Gateway Domain - Third Imperium circa 1000)

Votes: 70 21.9%
  • The Golden Age (The Spinward Marches - Third Imperium circa 1105)

Votes: 15 4.7%
  • The Rebellion Era

Votes: 89 27.8%
  • The New Era (Fourth Imperium)

Votes: 58 18.1%
  • An all new campaign setting

Votes: 3 0.9%

• Total voters

hunter

Ancient - Absent Friend
Which Traveller Era/Campaign Setting sourcebooks would you like to see produced?

Originally posted by hunter:
Which Traveller Era/Campaign Setting sourcebooks would you like to see produced?
Well I voted for the future. I see no value in going back and re-hashing the past in the OTU. The forth-coming products from SJG on the Interstellar Wars has very little appeal to me. In fact, the only reason is has some minor appeal is due to MJD's fiction in TA#2.

And to paraphrase someone else's post I read a few days ago, "If I see anything more in the Spinward Marches, I'll think I'll puke."

Regardless of the period visited, PLEASE do something in another part of the galaxy. I am THRILLED with the idea of using the Gateway Domain, even if it is set in an already established history, if only because it is NOT the Spinward Marches.

In another shameless plug for MJD - GT:Behind the Claw provides all the SM info I need - and it is still in print. I don't have a need to buy a T20 version.

For me it was a toss up between TNE and the Civil War. I voted for TNE. I know that MJD is currently working on that project, but I figure vote can add some support for his work.

Originally posted by Smiling DM:

In another shameless plug for MJD - GT:Behind the Claw provides all the SM info I need - and it is still in print. I don't have a need to buy a T20 version.
Actually, it's NOT still in print. There may be copies in the distribution pipeline, but SJG does not have any in stock itself. They show BTC as Out of Print.

By "Which Traveller Era/Campaign Setting sourcebooks would you like to see produced?" do you mean "by QuikLink" or in general?

I'm starting to have some interest in the IW setting, but I don't think there's any reason for two versions of that milieu to come out at the same time.

[votes in the poll]...plus a write-in vote for the 'Third Imperium' sourcebook MJD was hinting at a couple-three months ago -- a single mammoth sourcebook covering everything from Year 0 up to the New Era. A lot of eras I don't think necessarily have enough potential (or fan interest) to justify an entire sourcebook (much less a line of sourcebooks) but would make for great mini-campaigns. These include the Founding (Milieu 0), Consolidation Wars, Julian War, Aslan Border Wars, First Survey, Frontier Wars, 1st Civil War, Arbellatra's Regency, Psionic Supressions, Solomani Rim War, Rebellion (2nd CW), and Collapse (Hard Times/Virus Era). I'd love to see a single hardbound book of 300-400pp giving a GM enough info to run a campaign in any of those milieux -- 50pp or so of 'general' info on the Imperium (culture, maps and timelines -- stuff that won't change much over 1000 years) followed by 20-30pp on each of the above eras. I'd buy that in a heartbeat!

Originally posted by Tom Schoene:
By "Which Traveller Era/Campaign Setting sourcebooks would you like to see produced?" do you mean "by QuikLink" or in general?

I'm starting to have some interest in the IW setting, but I don't think there's any reason for two versions of that milieu to come out at the same time.
In general really, but this poll will give us (QLI) and idea of where the interest lies. I listed the Interstellar Wars from SJG for completeness and kind of a plug for their upcoming material. We have no plans to muddy the waters for SJG

Hunter

In general really, but this poll will give us (QLI) and idea of where the interest lies. I listed the Interstellar Wars from SJG for completeness and kind of a plug for their upcoming material. We have no plans to muddy the waters for SJG
Hunter
Cool. That's what I figured but I just thought I'd ask. Of course, it would probably be pretty easy to play whatever background SJG comes up with using T20 rules, and vice versa.

A sourcebook that would highlight the time of the Ancients and the current state of Ancient sites plus, hints of the far far far future worlds that Marc may be planning...

I have to say I am honestly surprised the the Golden Age/Spinward Marches (1105) is leading the voting. I would think with all that has been previously published on this era it would be a lot lower down in the pack.

Could those of you that voted for the Golden Age give us a bit of reasoning behind your choice? What would you like to see for that period/region that hasn't already been done?

Hunter

Originally posted by Tom Schoene:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Smiling DM:

Actually, it's NOT still in print. There may be copies in the distribution pipeline, but SJG does not have any in stock itself. They show BTC as Out of Print.</font>[/QUOTE]My bad - I see copies at my FLGS and made an assumption. Still, its 100X easier to find than old find Digest Group materials ;)

Well, I was one of those who voted for the Golden Era/Spinward Marches. The reason why was:

A) I got more than one vote, so voted for several things I was interested in, even if it had been covered before.

B) I'd rather see a T20 version of Spinward Marches, which I'm already pretty familiar with and love, than a setting supplement on an era or region I wasn't interested in, such as TNE.

If you did do a new SM supplement, I'd like to have in depth information on ALL the systems. There have been details of various systems in various different products -- I'd like to have it all contained in one easy-to-use-and-find product. Trade routes, corporations, politics, minor races, local cultures, ancient sites, imperial research stations and what they're working on -- I want to know EVERYTHING!

But if a new SM supplement didn't happen, it wouldn't disappoint me.

What I'd really like to see is development of the Long Night period, or some of the sectors near the Aslans and the Rift. I'm really glad the first supplement will be Gateway Domain, because that is a new area to me and will be interesting to explore. I like sectors which are on the frontier, especially when that frontier borders another major spacefaring empire. Having two bordering Gateway (Hivers and K'Kree) is great.

Originally posted by Paraquat Johnson:
If you did do a new SM supplement, I'd like to have in depth information on ALL the systems.
Yuck, no, ewww!

The GT SM book, Behind the Claw, is what you get if you start trying to detail every world. It's just bleah. And worst of all it contradicts some previous sources.

Rim of Fire, the GT Solomani Rim book handles things in a much better way, IMHO.

Having said all that, I actually quite liked the very very detailed worlds in TNE's Path of Tears. I guess I'm just inconsistent... Alternatively, of course, only a comparatively small area was detailed in PoT, so you could always go outside it to work with your own ideas.

Alan Bradley

I have a question: Why must the Spinward Marches be covered in 1105? Why can't we see what the Spinward Marches looks like in 1000, instead?

My suggestion is that you keep you time (1000) and pick areas from that time to explore, instead of jumping around between different locations AND times.

I would love to see (or even help with) framing up the Spinward Marches in 1000. I have no interest in more 1105 stuff.

BTW, since the SM in 1000 wasn't listed, I voted for Gateway and the Long Night.

Considering how many of the posters have previously played in the Spinward Marches, I am not surprised with its popularity. A much more interesting result is the strong position for a whole new setting in the poll. I think that one of Traveller's main strength is the easiness to create new worlds to play with. Perhaps future products should explore new setting or provide tools to create them.

As an old hack I own pretty much everything from the CT/MT era (not boasting, just been around a long time) - but I think that a Classic Era sourcebook from say 1100-1116 would:
(a) be pretty easy and 'cheap' to publish (just consolidate the old material - I realise publishing is never cheap)
(b) Put as much information as necessary for players in one handy volume - especially if SJG is not going to republish BTW.
(c)Could attempt to iron out some of the old inconsistencies and pose some new questions.

Old timers may already have the stuff but if Trav is to go on, the old material needs to be available to the new generation of players

Also:

How about a Rebellion Sourcebook - one that consolidates the MT stuff and amplifies the Rebellion into a playable campaign era.

Maybe the lesser eras could be posted as purchasable PDF files rather than in hardbacks - For example the Ancients, the Long Night and the Rebellion could be put in a Traveller: The Eras (!?!) link on the Travellerrpg website (maybe citizens could be invited to write stuff!)

Could those of you that voted for the Golden Age give us a bit of reasoning behind your choice? What would you like to see for that period/region that hasn't already been done?
You need an awful lot of background material to adequately represent a multi-world setting (hell, you could use multiple books to detail a single world, but there's a limit, of course). In the Spinward Marches of the Classic Era TTU/Year 1120 GTU we're just about approaching a bare minimum of coverage (Well, some parts of the Marches, anyway). The setting still have lots of cracks that need filling in and every little bit someone else writes is a bit I won't have to write myself.

Hans

Back