• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Where Exactly is the Known Universe??

My Lords...

Do any of you know what the corellation is for the "Big Map" (from Supplement 8 CT) to reality? I know that Sol is on the an outer Arm of the Milky Way (Perseus? Pegasus arm?) Does the Map comprise half of the Galaxy? A Quarter? Is the other part of the galaxy unexplored? Have probes and such been sent? I am starting a new campaign set in 1100, and It deals with explorations of the "unseen" Areas, perhaps "north" of the Core...

Any input would be most illuminating, even conjecture....

Originally posted by Baron Saarthuran:
My Lords...

Do any of you know what the corellation is for the "Big Map" (from Supplement 8 CT) to reality? I know that Sol is on the an outer Arm of the Milky Way (Perseus? Pegasus arm?) Does the Map comprise half of the Galaxy? A Quarter? Is the other part of the galaxy unexplored? Have probes and such been sent? I am starting a new campaign set in 1100, and It deals with explorations of the "unseen" Areas, perhaps "north" of the Core...

Take a look:

http://www.securityleak.com/slm/issue_05/onward_coreward_preface.html

Looking at the scales, I'd say you're better to forget the "North of the Core" part, unless you've got nice J-100 engines. Ten kiloparsecs just can't be crossed by J1-6 drives.

Excellent, good Sandman!

Many thanks! Most Illuminating...

omega.gif

Originally posted by Baron Saarthuran:
Excellent, good Sandman!

Many thanks! Most Illuminating...

omega.gif
Np... I stumbled on it yesterday, as I think someone on TML mentionned it, or was it here?

Ha, Bugger..

The important is that you have your info

Topic: Where Exactly is the Known Universe??

Look out your window. With a little luck you'll spot it.

I think Sol is located in Orion's arm of the Milky Way galaxy. Unfortunately, the known worlds only make up a small portion of the arm ( you would'nt see much more than a small dot on a picture of the galaxy represented on a legal size paper.

The other thing, is that the stars of sectors we know of are on a single plane. They do not represent worlds above and below the galactic plane. How could it? A cross section of the Milky way is thousands of light years "thick."

You can literally do anything you want to do on a map. Have fun!

What! [Eek!] Where is the known universe!? [Confused]

Second star to the right, and straight on 'till morning [Big Grin]
Oh darn. I knew I should have taken that left turn at Albuquerque.

Okay, Baron
It is a legitimate question, deserving a legitimate answer....

If you wish to know where the observable universe is in relation to Traveller's OTU then I would suggest you get two books One you may already have: Supplement 10 The solomani rim ,and a textbook called: Astronomy from Earth to the universe, by Jay M. Pasachoff.....

Hope tihs helps........

Hmm... The Galaxy in relation to Known Space... Hmm...

Too Far Away Without Higher Jump Numbers!

Hello.
The known galaxy is just outside the front door just above the horizon. Yes i know its also below the horizon but you cant see it.
Isn't Earth (Terra, Sol 3) represented by Terra in the solomani sector of the Traveller (stick in all the usuall legal stuff that needs to go in hear)Universe.
Yes a lot of stars arnt listed but maybe they dont have anything interesting in orbit.
I still say that the none core part of the galaxy is less than 100ly in thickness.
BYE.

Originally posted by Sandman:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Baron Saarthuran:
My Lords...

Take a look:

http://www.securityleak.com/slm/issue_05/onward_coreward_preface.html

Looking at the scales, I'd say you're better to forget the "North of the Core" part, unless you've got nice J-100 engines. Ten kiloparsecs just can't be crossed by J1-6 drives.
</font>[/QUOTE]Addressing the question of what other parts of the galaxy have been explored, I would suggest reading the rest of the article referred to above and checking out Traveller: The Core Routes Project ( http://www.geocities.com/traveller_core_route/ ).

Milord,

Would the position of Known Space change from the ones presented in these excellent images in 35 centuries? I regret that I am not as familiar with the rate of Galactic Rotation as I should be...

Many thanks!

omega.gif

Now, let's suppose that someone figured J-100 (or even J-20 to 35) engines out. How would Known Space change, and what would happen if both the K'Kree and Vargr got them?
file_23.gif

Wow... What a question!!!.....mayby thats why I am "Lost" half the time....HHHHmmmnnn.....hey guys which way is Reavers Deep from "Earth"???

:D ;)
file_21.gif

The Known Universe? Straight outside, in front of that moving eighteen wheeler truck carrying a full load of ton-weight stones...
file_23.gif

Back