• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

What is needed?

OK, Beside the core t20 book what is needed to play? Do I need the PHB from WOTC? And if so will other books like everquest phb suffice?

Also how different is it from the basic d20 system for that is not my favorite system?

I am asking is because I am a big CT fan but have been thinking of giving it a try.
So what is out for T20 and what would you recommend?

Not a thing other than dice, pencils and paper. I would suggest that you download the Linkworlds campaign from here, but that is just setting. Have fun, dude.

Originally posted by Crimson Cat:
OK, Beside the core t20 book what is needed to play? Do I need the PHB from WOTC? And if so will other books like everquest phb suffice?
To some degree you will need a core rulebook from a WOTC d20 game (DnD3E PHB, Star Wars d20, or d20 Modern, for example). The Everquest book uses the OGL, which means it may or may not use the exact same rules.

You don't need much, all you really need are pages 4-10 of the 3.0 PHB (You might be able to get one on e-bay for a good price now that 3.5 has been out for a while).

I have heard from several that there is stuff in d20 Modern that could be applied to T20, so you might want to consider it instead of the DnD PHB. Stuff like a martial artist class.

Originally posted by R_Kane:
I think you can get by with the SRDs.
Let's see if we can squash this once and for all. No, the SRD is not sufficient. It is missing the "how to roll a up a character" and "how to apply experience" rules just like T20 and all the other "D20" books. Like Michael said, you need one of the core books: PHB, D20 Modern, Star Wars D20.

Originally posted by tjoneslo:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by R_Kane:
I think you can get by with the SRDs.
Let's see if we can squash this once and for all. No, the SRD is not sufficient. It is missing the "how to roll a up a character" and "how to apply experience" rules just like T20 and all the other "D20" books. Like Michael said, you need one of the core books: PHB, D20 Modern, Star Wars D20. </font>[/QUOTE]I thought that was the case but was not sure.
file_28.gif

I in many ways don't mid buying a new version of Traveller but really have to think twice about buying a PHB which I am only going to need for a few pages (reduced price or not).

I was also wondering how easy can the new supplements be converted backward to the older versions?

I thought Hunter might have spoken up here but since not...

I think the upcoming Player's Book will have the stuff needed as well as some new character stuff.

I'm not 100% sure on this (or when it will be printed) but will check later when I have a moment, unless you or someone else cares to search the forums before then.

Sorry must have missed this.

The Traveller's Guidebook for Players when released will replace the need for any of the 'core' books such as the PHB.

It will contain the player info from the THB, the 'missing rules' for character generation and advancement, as well as all new material.

Hunter

Originally posted by hunter:
Sorry must have missed this.

Hunter
No problem I'm sure, just gotta keep you busy eh?

So if you can wait this would be the way to go. Hunter is probably still deadline shy from the latest snafu so he won't be likely to nail down a solid date.

Until then yeah, find someone with a book (or pick up a 3rd edition cheap, my FLGS had them marked down last I was there and there may be some on eBay) you can use until then.

thanks for info. Is there a rough time frame that can be given for when that will be out?

Also will that book get rid of the need of the PHB for 2300 and t2k revisions also?

I recommend the Star Wars d20 Core Rulebook myself. The Wounds/Vitality system is identical to the Lifeblood/Stamina in T20. Which makes it easier to use some of the stock NPCs in Star Wars as well. Then the book is worth more to you than if you got the D&D or d20 Modern book. Plus it's also a Sci-Fi environment, so a lot more can apply as well. But I'm still buying the new Traveller book when it comes out. hehe

Just my thoughts,

Scout

I recommend the Star Wars d20 Core Rulebook myself. The Wounds/Vitality system is identical to the Lifeblood/Stamina in T20. Which makes it easier to use some of the stock NPCs in Star Wars as well. Then the book is worth more to you than if you got the D&D or d20 Modern book. Plus it's also a Sci-Fi environment, so a lot more can apply as well. But I'm still buying the new Traveller book when it comes out. hehe
I plainly agree with this. I would also tell that D20 Modern could be interesting, but you can forget about DnD 3.0 or 3.5, since it is about heroic fantasy. I suggest Star-Wars d20...

Thanks for the info. I downloaded the t20 lite pdf to take a look. I will probably go with the d20 modern or d20 SW.

to help me how doe play compare to CT as far as combat and ship design?

We've found T20 plays very much like CT.

Skills are more important than attributes for most tasks attempted, combat is very deadly for lightly armoured PCs and the ship design system is so similar to High Guard that if you understand one you'll have no problems with the other.

This is IMHO of course.

Originally posted by R_Kane:
[message deleted, becuase I was a grumpy bastard, too quick to take umbrage at a comment]
I hope it wasn't a comment of mine. For I am really just trying to figure things out.
Especially right now where I am selling off many of my rpg games and getting down to a few basic rpgs games and picking up a couple that I feel i would like.

Originally posted by Crimson Cat:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by R_Kane:
[message deleted, becuase I was a grumpy bastard, too quick to take umbrage at a comment]
I hope it wasn't a comment of mine. For I am really just trying to figure things out.
Especially right now where I am selling off many of my rpg games and getting down to a few basic rpgs games and picking up a couple that I feel i would like.
</font>[/QUOTE]Nope, it wasn't. Don't worry about it.
I usually try not to take things too personally, especially on-line, but I just woke up on the wrong side of the bed, with a headache, and posted before I thought.

When I had time to think about it, I decided to remove my comments since they were in no way, shape or form, constructive to the discussion.

Back