• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

What Internet Online RPG software is being used?

What Internet Online RPG software is being used to play T20?

• GRIP (QLI)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ScreenMonkey (nbos)

• Fantasy Grounds (Smite Works Ltd.)

• Other

• Total voters
What online software is being used to play Traveller (T20)?

In this day and age of no time, people interfacing over the internet more than in person, etc. Roleplaying games are apparently taking place via the internet. There are several software packages available and I was curious as to what people are using to play T20. I am currently using GRIP for my online T20 campaign but am unhappy with some of the features and wanted to know if anyone either had solutions for my GRIP headaches or what software might be another option.

Just using these boards is fun enough for the adventure that I am running.

Bringing on board the whole active portion of the CofI is my medium term ambition. Hopefully, those who are not actively playing are enjoying by reading. Longer term...

If Hunter begins to object, we can always move over to Playbyweb.com which I have used in the past but suffers from the lack of graphic interface.

Actually, I've gotten to like play by post better than play by email. Because it's much easier to reference past material that way.

I like GRiP, even with all it's faults, but would like to supplement it with say a board or PBEM. This way the adventures could be done via GRiP and any extra stuff or down time could be handled via posting. You could also have a library of info for the game and forums for OOC questions etc.

Opinions?

Tom

IRC primarily, supplemented by various IM clients, email, and websites/forums.

I've tried pbem but unless it's a wargame, a top level / noble campaign, or a very social game (I think a political or family Tekumel adventure would be fun via email) it doesn't work for me.

IRC works, there are plenty of clients for it, and I don't use realtime maps anyway in online games.

Originally posted by Berg:
I like GRiP, even with all it's faults, but would like to supplement it with say a board or PBEM. This way the adventures could be done via GRiP and any extra stuff or down time could be handled via posting. You could also have a library of info for the game and forums for OOC questions etc.

Opinions?

Tom
Absolutely agree with you 200%. In fact, I'm madly working on a private board for our upcoming GRIP campaign now. Take a look! :D

Terra Incognita - a GRIP campaign under construction

I'd love comments or suggestions, as this WILL be my first time GMing over the Internet (tho I have experience GMing via tabletop)

Looks good
I'd be interested in joining. Who is hosting the board? Are they good/cheap/free?

Tom

Looks good
I'd be interested in joining. Who is hosting the board? Are they good/cheap/free?

Tom
Looks good

Tom
Guildportal is a free hosting service for online gamers, particularly those who play in "clans" or guilds, similar to ezBoard or UBB. Hosting one is free (at guildportal.com) and the sites are fully functional. There is the option to subscribe to their premium services, which for the most part removes the annoying advertising banners.

I'll jot you down for the list of "interesteds" in my campaign. Once we're ready, I'll give you a heads up before the campaign adventures launch.

Originally posted by lightsenshi:
Actually, I've gotten to like play by post better than play by email. Because it's much easier to reference past material that way.
Actually all of the Software designed to do this in real time, GRIP, ScreenMonkey, Klooge, OpenRPG, Fantasy Grounds automatically saves the entire session log for easy reference later.

Opinions?

Tom
Actually the Library Function was part of the GRIP Traveller Package. However it is buggy, in the extreme, and with the changes here on COTI/RPGRealms, it lost some of its functionality as well. There is a very good Library data as a Windows Help File around someplace as well. (Which is what we use.) Well that plus a Galactic Sector File converted to Cosmographer, and exported as JPGs to everyone. (Trying to send the map from the Traveller add on in my Grip package caused the system to crash.)

Back