• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

What do I need?

I have not played traveller in a long time. I just ordered the new Traveller d20 Handbook, but am starting to realize I need a core rulebook ( I guess about the d20 system in general?), could someone tell me what book is best or a title to look into. Thanks for any assistance.

Well, for a Core book, you have 3 to choose from in my opinion...

First, the one that is "recommended", is the 3rd edition D&D Player's Handbook. This will explain the basic system of feats, skills, multiclassing, combat, etc.
Second, and maybe a bit better, would be AEG's Spycraft handbook. Modern espionage setting, but it fits better due to using firearms and dealing with a more modern setting.
Probably the best would be WotC's D20 Modern handbook that was just released a few weeks ago, for the same reason as Spycraft

Spycraft??? :confused:

You do realized that even Spycraft requires the Player's Handbook.

Any Wizards' Core Game Book is required to play Traveller20: The Traveller's Handbook.

D&D Player's Handbook is affordable ($29.95 US). The other core rulebooks are $39.95 each.

I stand corrected. Spycraft does require the PHB as well. I guess I was thinking from the experienced d20 player. I'm using the Spycraft book as the base rules for my campaign in the areas of combat especially.
But Spycraft does spell out character creation and use of skills and feats almost as well as the D&D PHB does, IMO.

Spycraft does follows the same layout as the Player's Handbook, chapter-by-chapter which makes it easier for d20 gamers of various levels of experience to follow through, but if there is some disagreement regarding character creation and advancement, you need the clear-cut instructions from any one of the Wizards' core game books.

If you don't want to spend too much, get the $29.95 D&D Players Handbook. My recommendation is either Star Wars or d20 Modern since they cover some basics regarding ranged ballistic or energy weapon (the rules for those types of weapon can easily port over to Traveller at your option). Either core rulebook ("true" core rulebook since it contains both player's and gamemaster's information) is $39.95.

Yet another option is the EVERQUEST PLAYER'S HANDBOOK. It is a d20 system game but it doesn't use the d20 logo; therefore it had the entire game system in the book (including character creation and experience point progression). Granted these systems are slightly different than D&D3e (espically x.p. progression) but overall I feel it works a little better. Besides its 400 pages of gaming goodness for only $29.95 (full color hardcover!) so how can you go wrong!

Well, I can't really put a stamp of approval on EQPH until I examine the content but if it contains the same instructions in the same order as the Player's Handbook, then it's possible you could use it.

Originally posted by Ellros:
Well, for a Core book, you have 3 to choose from in my opinion...

First, the one that is "recommended", is the 3rd edition D&D Player's Handbook. This will explain the basic system of feats, skills, multiclassing, combat, etc.
Second, and maybe a bit better, would be AEG's Spycraft handbook. Modern espionage setting, but it fits better due to using firearms and dealing with a more modern setting.
Probably the best would be WotC's D20 Modern handbook that was just released a few weeks ago, for the same reason as Spycraft
I'd recommend D20 Modern. A bit more expensive, but easier to read and aimed at campaigns with, well, modern equipment.

Back