• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Virgin birth?

• Thread starter Black Globe Generator
  • Start date
Parthenogenesis!

well, Komodo dragons join the other species that do so. Someone alert the feminist-far left who wish to do without men entirely! They've got a mascot! ;)

Originally posted by Liam Devlin:
Someone alert the feminist-far left who wish to do without men entirely! They've got a mascot! ;)
file_21.gif

Score one soda-drenched keyboard as a confirmed kill!

It's rather common in reptiles and fish, still not the norm, but a definite "competitive edge" for the possessing but non-reliant species.

This is only one type of asexual reproduction. Note that in the article they point out that the self fertilized offspring would all be male. This allows an isolated female to start a colony, that from that point would be a sexual colony (with only one female - the matriarch - initially).

More interesting are the lizards that self fertilize female. Those species don't need males at all. Even more fascinating is the fact that there are some lizards where some regions and colonies are purely self fertilizing, whereas other areas of the same lizard have a bisexual population. This implies that, at least for those species that do this, sexual reproduction only gives a slight advantage over asexual reproduction.

I came across the article while working on an alien race for MTU, a non-human sophont that exhibits both sequential hermaphrodism and parthenogenesis.

All of the aliens are born female, and a select number become male over time. The females are small and gracile, the males large and bulky. Females are intelligent, while males are barely sentient (my wife's suggestion, that last bit). Basically the males are used for heavy lifting and fighting, while the females are the scientists, merchants, tradesfolk, and so on.

Only those females who mate with males can produce female who will become male - females who produce young by parthenogenesis can only produce females.

Originally posted by Black Globe Generator:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Liam Devlin:
Someone alert the feminist-far left who wish to do without men entirely! They've got a mascot! ;)
file_21.gif

Score one soda-drenched keyboard as a confirmed kill!
</font>[/QUOTE]I take a virtual bow for the Confirmed KK :D ;)

Seriously though--

There are so far accounted for on Terra here, 70 species which use this form of procreation, to include the humble cockroach, so it occurs in the Insect world as well as the reptiles like Lizards.

I, for one, look forward to our new lizard masters.

R

--------------------
Rover
Which leads me off to examine Ithklur once again.. :eek: ;)
file_22.gif

if it could actually be the second coming, then those extreme leftest feminists would the new chosen people?

NOW that would prove the universe has a sense of humor...

Back in the 50's EC SF comics (Can't remember if it was Wierd Science or Wierd Fantasy) they had a very human-looking aliens on a planet earthlings landed on were like some snails switched genders periodically. The main character married one of the women & stayed behind when his crew left. One day he was surprised when his wife cut her hair short & announced it was time for the change. It ended with the alien (now a man) wondered when his mate would change so their relationship could get back to normal.

Manax... eeeeewwwwwwwww!!!!!!

BGG, I'd seen that article just the other day. Very interesting take on the alien race, dude! Good stuff.

Sort of like the alien in "Enemy Mine" ( dreck acting IMO, but hey, I rented it for 2 bucks so hey-enough film criticizing from me of all people )--they had a male and female phase. The marooned human astronaut-fighter pilot discovers his alien enemy pilot is a "parent", and in this Robinson Crusoe-esque tale, winds up when alien parent dies, the "father/ Parental mentoring unit.

Good reference material for an alien race, and fine example Manax !

Back