• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Vilani Word

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BenBell:
Does anoyone around here know if there has been published the Vilani word for Eye?

Ben Bell
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

magi

If you are really interested in learning more Vilani, come join the Traveller Culture Mailing list on Yahoo Groups. A very low volume mailing list, the files area has a spreadsheet with a complete list of all published Vilani words, plus the group has a couple of linguists interested in Vilani who can assist with any such translation efforts.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Traveller-Culture/

This group seems to be restricted membership and I cannot access it.

Also is there a word for Seeing, as in Seeing Eye.

>Also is there a word for Seeing, as in Seeing Eye.

Assembling a Vilani phrasebook?

"This is my seeing eye Varger."

This is extremely late, but better late than never.

The Seeing Eye: dakimashmagi;
(Assuming "seeing" is an inherent property of the Eye)

If 'seeing' is a temporal thing, subject to change, then the phrase would be: magi dakimash.

Finally, in Khal, the phrase is in Anglic style using Vilani words: dakimum magi.

My website has an older but serviceable Vilani lexicon and grammar:

http://home.comcast.net/~downport/vilani/Vilani_Lexicon.html

This page also has links to the Khal wordlists (the Trade Vilani Pidgin).

Originally posted by Straybow:
"Seeing Eye" is actually a trade mark.
Then I'd go for "Dakimashmagi"; seeing is the defining attribute of the eye in question. I might conflate the word a bit to give it more punch.

Originally posted by Tanuki:
>Also is there a word for Seeing, as in Seeing Eye.

Assembling a Vilani phrasebook?

"This is my seeing eye Varger."
HAHAHA
Want to know the Gvegh translation for
"This is the dead Vilani"???

-MADDog

Question:

So what is the proper Bilanidin for:

"The All Seeing Eye" (in a temporal and literal sense)?

And the Starship Name: "Imperial Star Ship Blue Smoke"?

And last but not least, if you would, "To Protect the Commonweal."

Gack, got tons....sorry.

So what is the proper Bilanidin for:

"The All Seeing Eye" (in a temporal and literal sense)?

This might be "magi dakimash baasa".

And the Starship Name: "Imperial Star Ship Blue Smoke"?

Perhaps:

Starship-Imperial Dark-Blue+Smoke

Serimaddaga Ibuukibi.

Starship-Imperial Bright-Blue+Smoke

Serimaddaga Idibi.

(Note: "Imperial" is actually "dadaga", but I think the phrase "serimadadaga" is so common it would erode a bit)

And last but not least, if you would, "To Protect the Commonweal."

Perhaps:

Idaak irgesagek.

/Idaak/ "Protecting it"
/irge/ "having in common"
/sagek/ "goodness, beauty, truth"

coolie beans!

Thanks again! CotI Geek Battalion (Language Platoon) comes through again.

Cool. Btw the link to the Vilani Study Group listed above is 404, and wow, this language is a RPIA!

I found the following and perusing it right now.....:eek:o: and I keep thinking I am smart, this place is turning out to be a nice reality check sometimes.

Bilanidin Resources.

Figured as much, *looks around* now where'd that explitive list go?

Those are my webpages -- enjoy. Yes, we owe a debt to Kenji for creating the Vilani grammar.

Awesome, so how much assistance do you give us Bilanidin noobs anyway?

And what is Bilanidin for "Noob"? :p

Thanks again, you will most likely be hearing from me again.....like now. :D

So, how would a guy go about telling a particular gal that he like really uber-digs her? In Bilanidin of course...and then.....*grins and decides not to press his luck*

Oh and your right about Kenji, now, what to get to express our feelings about the grammar structure....

Last edited:
I may have to defer to G. Kashkanun Anderson for the one-liners for bars... ah that didn't sound quite the way I meant it... GKA is good with turning phrases I meant.

As far as expletives go, I know of a couple, and have used them on occasion.

/dam/ is from Anglic, and is quite thoroughly Vilanicized from the 2nd Imperium onward.
/kugganzir/ is a personal favorite. It means "holy ganzir!", where /ganzir/ is the "Eye", referring to the mythical Pit into the underworld.

There are also mythical names that can be expletified by attaching /kug-/ or /dam-/ onto them:

Alaaru the Swift. Damalaaru is colorful and can be satisfying.
Kuragan is a mythological Vilani god. Kugguragan is an expletive heard among traditionalists.
Duraamgar is a mythological Vilani sun god. Daamgar is a nice strong conflation.

Shikhu and Sakhu are the names of historic twins. So you might hear "Kusshikhu in Damsakhu!" when a spanner falls on someone's head.

Then there are the cross-culturally universal /megage/ "fool" and /daruuk/ "ingratiating fool".

Finally, there are odd Vilani-centric ones, like /dukam/, which literally means "unsorted", which is a statement of vast and general disapproval by Vilani, kind of like how your parents felt if they'd ever exasperatedly repeatedly told you to clean your room. "Pig's breakfast" also springs to mind, if you know that term.

There's also /raanku/, meaning "chaos run rampant", along with words meaning chaos like /gushii/ and /ziishanek/.

*holds up index finger* hold on one sec....

*goes and looks for Icosahedron*
"Umm, Tam....hey Army, Rally over here, Bilanidin Expletive plus!"

Thanks again and ummm, I got a question, brb......*cut, copy, paste*

:paragraph:The subject pronouns are quite strange to English speakers, in that they represent only the general type of subject, and its relationship to the object. Common subject pronouns include:

-K- Sophont(s) acting on something(s) of lesser rank

-S- Sophont(s) acting on other being(s) of higher rank

-B- Inanimate(s) acting on inanimate(s)

-N- Inanimate(s) acting on sophont(s)

:paragraph:Passives

It should be noted that topicalization of patients fulfils the same discourse function as use of the passive does in English: it allows highlighting of the patient rather than the agent of a verbal action.

Examples

Leskhugash liraamgim Eneri. An air/raft hit Eneri.

Liraamgim leskhugash Eneri. An air/raft (as opposed to something else) hit Eneri.

Eneri leskhugash liraamgim. Eneri (of all people!) was hit by an air/raft.

Le-s-khugash: him-it-hit

le-: it was done to him or her

-s-: done by an inanimate thing to a human

khugash: to hit

liraam-gim: (an) air/raft

liraam: air/raft

-gim: agent marker

Am confused....help?!

I may have to defer to G. Kashkanun Anderson for the one-liners for bars... ah that didn't sound quite the way I meant it... GKA is good with turning phrases I meant.
Why, yes -- now that you mention it. I am pretty popular with the Bilanidingi guga ... do you happen to know any?

There are also mythical names that can be expletified by attaching /kug-/ or /dam-/ onto them:

Alaaru the Swift. Damalaaru is colorful and can be satisfying.
Kuragan is a mythological Vilani god. Kugguragan is an expletive heard among traditionalists.
Duraamgar is a mythological Vilani sun god. Daamgar is a nice strong conflation.
Since I suspect Duraamgar to be some kind of archaic warrior god (I have the name derived etymologically from "blazingly bright" + "assistant/shield-bearer"), swearing an oath against it might be regarded as particularly potent -- if not as poetic as the one against Kuragan.

Perhaps it goes something like:

1. Damalaaru: a child's oath. The Vilani equivalent of "rats!" or "good grief!"
  2. Kugguragan: Strong but lyrical; almost intellectual. Perhaps something you'd say if you stubbed your toe in front of your great-grandparents.
  3. Daamgar: Roughly equivalent to the Anglic "God da**it!" Not quite sailor talk, but still ...
Then there's burudak, an exclamatory epithet generally reserved for either extremely vulgar company, extraordinarily terrifying developments, or very, very heavy drinking at the local dive bar.

And what is Bilanidin for "Noob"? :p
In textbook Vilani: probably gurukarpu when the Noob is referring to himself; and gurukarshe when the Noob is being addressed by his superiors -- unless his superiors think he's a twerp, in which case it's gurukarpu from them, too.

There are slangier terms out there, I'm sure; but for now the above is good enough.

Thanks again and ummm, I got a question, brb......*cut, copy, paste*

:paragraph:The subject pronouns are quite strange to English speakers, in that they represent only the general ... [blah, blah, blah] ... -gim: agent marker

Am confused....help?!
I'd love to help, but there's too much there for me to zero in on with an answer. I get the gist that you're confused about the nature of Vilani verb construction; but can you phrase your request in the form of a specific question?:D

Boldface!

The gurukarpu put the nature of his query in Boldface in the above post...

However, to answer the question, in the above it gives -S- as a sophont acting upon a superior sophont, but the lists it as being an inanimate acting upon a sophont. So which one is correct?

And, GKA, get your own. :p Oh and come on, pretend I just now found out I could learn Bilanidin, and well, I could use to some help, please.

Another thing, is there a non- anglicized Vilani alphabet? It seems to me that if they use certain letter combinations alot, see the "aa", "ii", etc. that these often seem to morph into other letters, such as "w". Just curious and stillllll reading the whole of the Robject's site, wow.

Thanks again.

There is a non-Anglic Vilani alphabetic order... offhand I don't recall what it is, but there is one...

Back