• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Vilani Food?

BeRKA

SOC-13
Now is the time for the swedish dish called "surströmming". Is this something that the Vilani would like? Do the surströmming remind them of something that a shugilii would make?

Maybe, You should serve surströmming with tokai wine at Your next gaming session, so that the players would get the right atmosphere... or maybe not... ;)

Some links, so that You know what i talk about:
http://www.robert.pfeifer.btinternet.co.uk/lutfisk.htm
http://www.svensson.com/norge/sur1.htm
http://www.escapeartist.com/efam32/swedish.html

Well, a Babylon 5 character (J'kar?) said that every intelligent species had it's own version of Swedish Meatballs.

I always think of British food when thinking of Vilani, recipe been around for ever, not much spice or flavorings, wonder what it might have been before it hit the plate.
Solomani food, think spicy.
Aslan food, bleeding rare, hair still on.
Vargr food, roadkill.
Zhodani food, well done and then some. Curry powder and rice with everything.

Other opinions please :D

------------------------------
In the end, Murphy will rule

Originally posted by vegascat:

Solomani food, think spicy.
Not just spicy, try tear forming, mouth burning, flame spitting hot!
file_23.gif

Aslan food, bleeding rare, hair still on.
They need bits of bone and cartilidge as well. Might even resemble someone you've seen on milk cartons... ;)
Also available in cans!
file_21.gif

Vargr food, roadkill.
Best if left on the road for a couple of days... :D

I had a Scout player in one of my recent campaigns. He took the vargr languange as one of his skills and always wanted to order Vargr specialties one night, wanting to reward this newbie's efforts at RP but at the same time drawing a blank, I invented the following (apologies If I offend any Citizens who think they are Vargr. it was spur of the moment)

The food itself wasn't fancy, it was basically diced raw meat with (maybe) a bit of spices.

However it was served (to humans) with a claw like implement like a pointy single chopstick on a special motorized plate that would keep all the the little bits bouncing in arcs of various height into the air above the plate. Thus kinda sorta simulating live prey and Providing a 'Prestige' (charisma) enhancing challege depending on how high you set the motors on the plate, how many claws you struck with and how much meat hit the floor (typically of course it was also served to humans with the motor set on '11').

Checked out the Vilani web site, interesting bit of trivia.
Garf, nice trick with the Vargr food. I think I will skip dinner at your place, sounds like too much work. Although the camera ops for funniest home video would be entertaining.
file_21.gif

i heard a rumor, now just a rumor, i dont want to start anything with certain vargr. but here it is - i heard that the "early" vargr would REGURGATATE their food and let it dry out and then eat it again!! sometimes thay would freezedry it and use it for snak food later!! it has somthing to do with teir 3 stomachs. thats one reason their ships can go on longer trips. did you ver notice that non-vargr crew members always come up missing?? what do vargr REALY eat? hhhhmmmmmmmm...........
file_23.gif

Where is RV when we need him? Might not be a good idea to check his fridge next time you take a jump with him. It might be empty. :eek:

I always think of British food when thinking of Vilani, recipe been around for ever, not much spice or flavorings, wonder what it might have been before it hit the plate.

You obviously haven't been to Britain in the last 10 years old boy, don't you know that Curry is now the national dish!

Oh and what about the hot hot mustard and horseraddish we eat with our beef!

Last time in England was 1990. Didn't see any curry dishes then. Loved the breakfasts though. After "Continental breakfasts" I liked something to sink the teeth into. :D Wonderful place to visit, but don't park your wheeled transport in London,
file_28.gif
the rent cost more than the shopping.

Actually, when Loren and I were discussing a Vilani sourcebook we thought of Indian cooking with all its emphasis upon preparation and veggies ground to pulp or near pulp conditions. And, as far as it being spicy, that would be some of the additives that any Shugii would need to put in to make work for metabolism. And, if you grow up with the stuff - it really isn't that spicy at all.

When I'm not near K'Kree space, I usually go for a double western bacon cheeseburger myself. And so does my crew :)

When I'm not near K'Kree space, I usually go for a double western bacon cheeseburger myself. And so does my crew :)

And is it made out of K'Kree, by chance? :devil:

(Sorry, seeing this thread start in '02 made me think of all the grand Travelleresque randomness of the old threads. That seems to have gone away with the flight of the Old Guard, though it was already waning within a couple of years after I got here and started participating... :eek:o: )

Back