• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Vehicle Sensors again

What ranges for the primary sensors are to be used ?

The ranges in the Text seem to make more sense except for one:
The densitometer has a base range of 1m. I suppose 1 km is meant.

Originally posted by Ragnaroek:

Densitometers were always very short range in MegaTraveller. My books are packed, but a base range of 1m sounds reasonable.

From an adventuring standpoint, you want player to go _into_ tunnels etc, not just map them from orbit :)

Lo Robert Prior and Ragnaroek,

I just happen to have my copy of MT: Referee's Manual (MT:RM) handy, so I'll dump the data here for you.

Originally posted by Robert Prior:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Ragnaroek:

Densitometers were always very short range in MegaTraveller. My books are packed, but a base range of 1m sounds reasonable.

From an adventuring standpoint, you want player to go _into_ tunnels etc, not just map them from orbit :)
</font>[/QUOTE]From MT:RM (1987, 1st or 2nd printing the 1 has been left off) p. 69.

</font><blockquote>code:</font><hr /><pre style="font-size:x-small; font-family: monospace;"> 10 Densitometers (Grav Shielded)
Low Penetration Densitometers
TL Penetration
10* Surface
11* Surface
12 1 m
13 50 m
14 100 m
15 250 m
16 1 km
18 25 km
20 2500 km</pre>[/QUOTE]</font><blockquote>code:</font><hr /><pre style="font-size:x-small; font-family: monospace;">High Penetration Densitometers
TL Penetration
11 1 m
12 50 m
13 100 m
14 250 m
15 1 km
16 25 km
18 2500 km
20 2500000 km
*Nondiscrimination direction sensor only. Simply indicates the direction to the greatest mass, depending on the range setting.</pre>[/QUOTE]Hope the above helps.

The table on pg. 250 of the THB shows the densitometer to have a base range of "short 5km". Of course that can be extended using the 'Increasing Sensor Range' paragraph, same page.

Only problem with that is the base cost (KCr750) could make that very expensive very quickly.

Thanks for the replies.

But the ranges in the text and in the table differ quite extensively. The ranges in the table seem to be wrong (a base range of 50km for the sonar is just ridiculous) and the ranges in the text seem to be right.
Now the problem with the 1m range of the densitometer (in the text) is that I don´t know what next range increment I should use. The normal range increments for vehicle sensors are: 1 km, 5 km, 50 km, 500 km, 5000 km, 10.000 km.

Now where do the 1m fit in and how do I increase the range of it. From 1m to 5m ? From 1m to 1km ? Or is the 1m indeed meant to be 1 km ?

Comments ?

And by the way the Vehicle Communication System base Range of the Tight beam Laser is 50km in the text and 5 km in the table !

Back