• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Variant Character creation

This is an idea I had for making the character background more detailed while keeping things at the same level of points overall.
Instead of rolling for assignment, survival, commission, promotion, decoration, cash bonus and xp bonus every 4 years have the players roll for every year.
When they fail a survival roll, make the result last only ¼ the time for things like imprisonment. Survival rolls only gain 1000xp per year. Given the nature of making survival rolls exactly and earning 1000 xp, either have them make only one per 4-year term or divide the total by 4.
If they receive a promotion at any time within a 4-year period, they cannot receive it again. This will keep the total ranks achieved at an equitable level. If cash or xp bonuses are received divide the results by 4. Decorations and awards can have their total xp divided by 4 or you could rule that they can only achieve one per 4-year term.
The reason and benefit for me as a GM of altering character generation this way is to allow younger characters that still have detailed backgrounds and age appropriate xp levels. I have a house rule that one cannot play a character more than 18 years older than the player. Maturity issue, waived on a case-by-case basis. This might be most useful for GM’s with younger players that really cannot play 45-year-old veteran merchants with any degree of believability.
Another reason is for those of you who simply want more details to flesh out the characters background history. It also allows those marines and starmen to have more detailed career backgrounds. I certainly remember all those Book 4 characters with 5 Combat service ribbons, an MCUF, and a couple of purple hearts after only two terms. Much harder to do in T20 with only one assignment per 4 years.
This also allows players to career hop quicker, making for younger multiclassed characters with great breadth but less depth.
Only grant mustering out benefits for 4-year terms served to completion. As GM you could allow the player to roll for benefits on the career table in which they spent the most time within a 4 year term, or simply allow them to choose one, but only one. I would also limit the number of times they roll for commission and promotion to only be once per 4-year term, regardless of the number of careers they enter. The usual xp, level, and prerequisites for multiclassing would still apply.
Remember that the main goal is to create character background detail while keeping the xp, cash, and material benefits the same.

In a nutshell, it sounds like you're trying to recreate CT/MT advanced character generation in T20. Which is a good thing, IMHO and sounds like you have the basis for something that would work. I may try to impliment something similar in the next character I generate. (I'm playing around with character generation, I'm more or less waiting for the Gateway sourcebook to come out before I start a campaign, but if it isn't out by the end of the year, may consider running one in the Spinward Marches, circa 1105 or 1107.)

This is something I've noticed. The xp values are too high and half my players have started with 8-10 level characters. I don't mind that much, it's quite easy to scale the game up to that level, but I would have liked to see a system that awarded xp, skill points and specific skills and/or feats in the gen process while maintaining or even expanding the level of detail provided.

you need to rember to change the target numbers if your going to do this, a 5 term charater would get 20 rolls for promotion,for example

Spank, not really. The original Book 4 and 5 character generation rules said that officers only get to be promoted once in a 4 year term, which still applied to the expanded rules brought out in Mercenary and High Guard. I just rule that in my variant character creation you can roll as often as you like, but once promoted within a term, for careers that have officers, you do not get to roll again. This also means that if you fail a survival roll but have made it through a few years of the term, you are not totally out of luck XP wise.
YMMV

Why not just play CT?
file_23.gif

Sorry, I get annoyed when I have to read half a post before I realize it should have been posted to a T20 forum.

Originally posted by Uncle Bob:
Why not just play CT?
file_23.gif

Because I'd be playing alone if I switched to CT? Heck, I switched my campaign from D&D d20 to Traveller T20 and lost half of my players. SF RPGs just don't make it in my neck of the woods.

someone not fanatical about CT,
Glen

I keep forgetting that many players these days are peasants. Back in the early eighties most players juggled three or four game systems in a semester.

Of course four together was less complicated than learning the heap of special rules and patches that AD&D turned into (and that D20 has largely inherited.) I am not surprised that Glen is unimpressed by CT: it is simple, logical, easy to learn, and difficult for rules lawyers and munchkins to subvert. That probably describes most of his players. :D

I'm sorry, but I have yet to see a game with more rules than Squad Leader that was fun. In fact Squad Leader stopped being fun after the first ETO supplement.

Sorry just an old f*rt sounding off.

Originally posted by Uncle Bob:
I'm sorry, but I have yet to see a game with more rules than Squad Leader that was fun. In fact Squad Leader stopped being fun after the first ETO supplement.
Advanced Squad Leader rules look like articles of laws. No wonder I couldn`t get through the basic rules

As for multiple rule systems, the constant is Good Stories with Good GM with Good players means Good Fun regardless of systems. Munchkins (either Player or GM) make almost any system look bad
file_28.gif

Hell I enjoyed playing Rolemaster and runequest - in the right crowd.

It's the DM and the players that matter. As long as the rules don;t interfere, I don;t they are important in real terms.

Having said that, I like complex rule systems to play with between sessions (I'm normally ref) - but mid game, rather than look things up I either make flat rules or wave dice at the problem.

PS I wasn;t ref for the rolemaster game!

Originally posted by The Mink:
Hell I enjoyed playing Rolemaster and runequest - in the right crowd.

It's the DM and the players that matter. As long as the rules don;t interfere, I don;t they are important in real terms.

Having said that, I like complex rule systems to play with between sessions (I'm normally ref) - but mid game, rather than look things up I either make flat rules or wave dice at the problem.

PS I wasn;t ref for the rolemaster game!
I refereed Rolemaster once ... ugh, that was more than enough! I did love playing with the system, and with the right GM (a guy with a PhD in Maths - no kidding) it worked real nice too.

There was nothing quite like rolling high 90s on those critical hit tables and seeing the mess you could make of your opponents ...

I once had a magician hovering with 90% cover behind a stone wall whilst throwing lighting bolts at a Herald of the Night. Ended up taking the Herald's foot clean off (which reduced his +280 to hit to a 'mere' +180), of course he fired a crossbow bolt back at my character which went in through the eye and mashed his brain (thereby rendering him unable to be raised/resurrected). That was fun!

Originally posted by Falkayn:
I once had a magician hovering with 90% cover behind a stone wall whilst throwing lighting bolts at a Herald of the Night. Ended up taking the Herald's foot clean off (which reduced his +280 to hit to a 'mere' +180), of course he fired a crossbow bolt back at my character which went in through the eye and mashed his brain (thereby rendering him unable to be raised/resurrected). That was fun!
We once made a trap for a Troll and fried him with a "lightning bold wand" our GM "gave us" (was cursed!)

We got to roll on the Critical table and was able to get the "Brain Fried, Head no longer available for use" entry

Back