• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Vacc Suit

Yep, asked and answered a while back on these boards if not elsewhere

The real answer is as Andrew says, no spell checker. Well, beyond an overworked proof-reader perhaps. Marc confessed that Vacuum is one of the words he always had trouble with spelling, doubling the "c" instead of the "u" so for the short hand version we ended up as Vacc Suit.

The best answer proposed for the game in our discussion was imo... it's a trademark property! VaccSuit&#8482 brand vacuum suits are the ones most widely trusted by Travellers for value and features :D

Originally posted by far-trader:
...it's a trademark property! VaccSuit&#8482 brand vacuum suits are the ones most widely trusted by Travellers for value and features :D
Could be an acronym, too, I guess, since I would think they are manufactured by hundreds, if not thousands, of companies.

Vacuum Custom Suit?

Vacuum Climate Suit?

Vacuum Crisis Suit?

Vacuum Cover Suit?

Vacuum Covering Suit?

Vacuum Control Suit?

Vacuum Charter Suit?

Vacuum Crash Suit?

Vacuum Convoy Suit?

Vacuum Carrier Suit?

Vacuum Carriage Suit?

Vacuum Comfort Suit?

Vacuum Care Suit?

Vacuum Check Suit?

Vacuum Contention Suit?

Vacuum Counteraction Suit?

Vacuum Cloister Suit?

Vacuum Campaign Suit?

Vacuum Collar Suit?

Vacuum Counteraction Suit?

Vacuum Case Suit?

Vacuum Center Suit?

Vacuum Channel Suit?

Vacuum Convenience Suit?

Vacuum Conspectus Suit?

Vacuum Convenance Suit?

Or...how about this one: Vacuum Conveyance Suit

Maybe it's something like this: VAcuum Cooling & Convection SUIT?

Or, maybe the second "c" actually describes the suit itself rather than what the suit does: Vacuum Compartmentalized Suit?

Any other ideas?

Originally posted by far-trader:
Hmm, can't find the old topic here, maybe it was on the TML.
I find that EVERYTHING has been discussed to death on TML at some point or another.

Originally posted by Supplement Four:
Could be an acronym, too, I guess, since I would think they are manufactured by hundreds, if not thousands, of companies.
"But there's only one original. Why trust your life to anything but a genuine VaccSuit? (TM)" ;)

Maybe it's something like this: VAcuum Cooling & Convection SUIT?
The Solomani, when settling the Spinward Marches during the Rule of Man, used Vacuum C&C Suits.

Today, the name of that piece of equipment has been shortened to: Vacc Suits.

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by far-trader:
...it's a trademark property! VaccSuit&#8482 brand vacuum suits are the ones most widely trusted by Travellers for value and features :D
Could be an acronym, too, I guess, since I would think they are manufactured by hundreds, if not thousands, of companies...</font>[/QUOTE]Oh yeah, I think we went through a dton of acronyms too
In The Imperium though it is a monopoly product ;) Isn't everything
file_23.gif

Originally posted by Ishmael James:
Vac-c Vacc Vac mk3

third in some series?
Oooo. I like that.

The Vacuum Suit-C model has become a standard throughout the Imperium. Originally, it was produced by a single company, but the design specs became so universal that many companies copied the suit as a standard (not unlike saying a copy machine is a Xerox machine or that, here in the south of the US, a Coke can mean any softdrink, be it Pepsi, Dr. Pepper Sprite, you name it).

This wide-spread standardization is not uncommon in the Imperium. Look at the various standardized spacecraft designs.

A character who buys a Vacc Suit knows exactly what he's getting.

GMs can also introduce other standard designs in their games: Vacy Suits (called a "Vay-see Suit") that incorporates #$%^&* special modifications), etc.

paragraph.gif
While the true source of the term vacc suit has long been obscured by the nebulae of time, I've asked around, and some of my old Service buddies think vacc may be an acronym for Vital Atmosphere Compression and Containment. This term is frequently ascribed to the Old Terrans, primarily for their propensity for assigning such acronyms. Out in the Frontier Worlds, it is often referred to as an atmosuit, evasuit, or just plain vacsuit. If you fraternize with Scout Service personnel for long, you will also often hear it called a vacci.
omega.gif

Vital Atmosphere Compression and Containment - very nice.

Originally posted by Ishmael James:
Vac-c Vacc Vac mk3

third in some series?
Also nice. Makes me think:

Vac8 TL 8
Vac9 TL 9
Vaca TL A "The cow"
Vacb TL B
Vacc TL C

alpha.gif
Library Data: Entry VACC SUIT

paragraph.gif
During the Rule of Man, Second Imperium scouts pushed out in all directions of the empire, expanding its boundaries as far as the interstellar neighbors would let them. A standard issue Climate Control suit (referred to as a "CC" or "Sissy" suits) at the time was a Vilani design known as a Akakishshar suit (the Scouts called them "Ay-Cack CC" or "Ay-Cack Sissy" suits).

paragraph.gif
Equipment requisitios for this item would read:

Vilani Akakishshar Climate Control suit, or VACC suit.

paragraph.gif
Solomani scouts marveled at the similarity to their own Vacuum Suits, or Vacsuits, and through the centuries, the Second Imperium acronym has come to be a generalized term referring to any protective gear designed for vacuum protection.
omega.gif

Vacc Suit
Vilani Akakishshar Climate Control Suit.

Ooooooh, someone breaks out Vilani.

Now we have to break the word down.

Akakishshar might just mean "climate suit", just like little border towns have redundant multilingual names.

True... in Utah, just north of where I went to school (5-12 + univ.), there is a large mountain.

On official Utah maps it is named "Ben Lomond Mountain"... but in the Gaelic used in Scotland (where the original Ben Lomond is) Ben means "mountain"... so it is named "Mountain Lomond Mountain"!

However, perhaps "Akakishshar" means "keeps-you-from-freezing-and-helps-you-breath-coat"?

Originally posted by robject:
Ooooooh, someone breaks out Vilani.
I used your word generator...at least I think it was your word generator.

Akakishshar might just mean "climate suit", just like little border towns have redundant multilingual names.
Couldn't it be a type climate suit or class of equipment?

Like the "Explorer" C&C suit?

The "Ranger" Sissy suit?

Back