• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

V2 Core Rule Book - Wow!

nats

SOC-12
I have to say that Mongoose have done a fantastic job on the new Traveller Version 2 Core Rule Book. At last we have a high quality book to rival those of D&D. I think this is probably THE Traveller book I have been waiting for over 36 years.

This is only from first look and initially skimming through it so I cant speak about the contents yet but on first look its a lovely high quality rulebook.

Well done Mongoose :D

I think this is probably THE Traveller book I have been waiting for over 36 years.

That is what we were aiming for :)

Well done Mongoose :D

Cheers!

Do I wait for it in my FLGS, get the pod version now, or both?

If I can make a somewhat self-serving argument...

The print quality in the retail version is better - the PODS version is fine enough for your players, but you will be wanting a retail edition for yourself :)

The print quality in the retail version is better - the PODS version is fine enough for your players, but you will be wanting a retail edition for yourself :)
Oh well, pod ordered :)

When does it hit UK game shops or do I have to order the retail version from Mongoose or Amazon? I want at least one of those for myself.

Get both. The print edition (from MONGOOSE, NOT POD) is gorgeous.

Very nicely done, Matt. Thank you.

Last edited:
I received my copy a couple of weeks ago. I haven't finished reading it yet, but I agree: the book is absolutely gorgeous. I've heard many horror stories about the quality of Mongoose's books, but I took a gamble and pre-ordered. I'm glad I did.

Is this for me?

So I can in around the Megatraveller era and played forever with Classic Traveller campaigns using some of the MgT rules.

From everything I have read it really seems that Mongoose got Traveller right with nit picks and minor mistakes aside.

So my question is does Mongoose really capture the feel while updating the mechanics and tech of Traveller?

It seems this version of Traveller above GURPS or T5 or others is the right new version of Traveller for me.

Any reservations? Any thoughts?

So I can in around the Megatraveller era and played forever with Classic Traveller campaigns using some of the MgT rules.

From everything I have read it really seems that Mongoose got Traveller right with nit picks and minor mistakes aside.

So my question is does Mongoose really capture the feel while updating the mechanics and tech of Traveller?

It seems this version of Traveller above GURPS or T5 or others is the right new version of Traveller for me.

Any reservations? Any thoughts?
I'd say no. My players have said "Run Mega instead."

2E doesn't solve any of my issues with MGT 1E (and exacerbates a few)...

I don't like the Char Gen - it confounds promotion and retention putting an up or out mode that isn't particularly travelleresque, the world gen is not in the correct sequence and has a different range of results because of it, the task system is not particularly to my taste, and Matthew's making it more D&D like is a REAL BIG turn-off for me. (And yes, Matthew does know what I think of that.)

Looks :)

I agree with the earlier poster about 1e mechanics being better. But Han Shot First and Expanded Universe no longer canon. I go with the flow...

Disclaimer: I have never ordered nor seen a POD product before so my only reference for comparison are retail books such as the stuff WotC published for D&D and the Shadowrun books.

I just got my POD version and here are my thoughts:

1. Content: Exactly what I expected since I participated in the beta and have the PDF version. ;)
  2. Cover & Binding: Very nice artwork, looks good, on par with other retail books I have.
  3. Paper & Print: This is where I was underwhelmed, but like I said this is my first POD product so perhaps this is just how they are. The paper appears to be a good quality non-glossy paper. It is something that I would be able to easily find at the local Staples. It is better than your typical "multi-purpose" paper, but not by much. The print quality looks like a color laser printer, which doesn't really surprise me since it is print-on-demand.

I have two concerns with the POD version. First, I am pretty sure that the pages would curl if left in a high humidity environment. Second, the pages with the black background feel "saturated". You know, almost like a page from an inkjet that have 100% coverage.

I assume the version that is available from the Mongoose site is the "retail" version with the heavy glossy pages similar to the first edition book? And the ones on DTRPG are POD? Any chance of using the $20 off the beta participants got for that retail one too? ;)

I've found Lulu's print-on-demand to be higher quality than DriveThru RPG's. I've ordered a few print-on-demand books from DriveThru RPG and regretted it as the paper was nearly tissue thin, and the two color books looked terrible. However, I understand that DriveThru RPG very recently switched to a heavier stock paper, so that may help.

The core rulebook I pre-ordered from Mongoose was the retail version, with heavy glossy paper, yes.

Paper quality is important.

I thought about making my own spiral bound LBB, and printed some samples on my printer at home.

Now, I have just generic 20lb (I think) "printer paper" for $4 a ream from "Big Office Store". And, yea, it's thin. It's also rough. It's nowhere near the quality of an original LBB.

I looked on the FFE site, but couldn't find the LBB 1-3 bound version for $10 that someone mentioned.

My plan was to rearrange the pages, print two per page, double sided, then get the pages cut, sheared/squared, and mounted in a spiral binding at the local Kinkos. I know I can't do that for $10. (The binding won't be $10, but if you include the printing cost…)

I don't know what kind of paper I would need to get to mimic the quality of the originals.

I like the idea of the spiral binding because of it's lay flat capability along with the fold back ability.

Paper quality is important.
[snip]
I don't know what kind of paper I would need to get to mimic the quality of the originals.

about 50-60 pound glossy paper.
Cover stock is glossy 100-110 pound.

Note that Ink-jet takes FOREVER to dry on this stuff. You MUST remove each sheet and set it to dry before printing the backs.

Laser printer toner also doesn't bond as well - you need to set your laser printer for the enhanced fusing

It works for me and to be fair, Aramis, you've always had antipathy towards Mongoose's Traveller. The new edition wasn't ever going to appeal to you, regardless. You may not be alone, but if people want alternative versions, well, they are still out there and available on POD and PDF. No biggie.

The big thing with this edition is the presentation has greatly improved, while the game mirrors the current edition of D&D only insofar that it's simple, accessible and very easy to pick up and play. There is meant to be an introductory box set coming, which ought to be a godsend for Traveller roleplaying in general - if it brings new players in, then how can it be a bad thing?

Personally, I'm pretty much subscribed to the game and the future MGT2 supplements and look forward to running the Pirates of Drinax sometime later in the year.

In terms of POD from drivethru, I suggest that you don't get a full colour book unless it's Premium based on previous experience. I'd just get the standard print run directly from Mongoose. Apparently, you should be able to get the PDF included.

I finally have a physical copy of the book. It is very pretty. I think they wasted too much space in it, though, with the pretty graphics. I prefer the black text on white paper for readability. More content could have been included or fewer pages used if they didn't go so over the top with graphics. I am clearly not their target audience.

Now, I wait for Sarah Newton's Mindjammer setting book.

Regarding the print edition: get it from Mongoose.

Don't get the POD if you can get the book from Mongoose instead.

Back