• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Updating FASA Explorer Class Survey Cruiser

Swiftbrook

SOC-12
Admin Award
I had a lot of fun redrawing the Alexandria Class Free Trader in the MTJ3: Rapid Repo - Revisited thread. Looking through FASA Adventure Class Ship’s vol 2, I’m now turning my attention to the Explorer Class Survey Cruiser. There are several Traveller starship designs with the name Explorer or Exploration, the FASA version is an 800-ton variant of the CT Book 2 Type-C cruiser.

The FASA plans show two decks totaling 1069 square, plus a description of a third deck with two Cutters and two fuel pods. My interpretation of the missing deck has 56 squares of cutter docking bay, and two fuel pods, each 54 squares and two decks high. That totals up to 1,341 squares. Without the two 50-ton cutters, the ship itself totals 700-tons or 1,400 squares. The FASA plan of 1,341 squares is within 5%.

I’m going to endeavored to update and detail the Explorer Survey Crusier design. Trying to make it a little more realistic and fun at the same time.

To being with, looking at some of the drive requirements:

Jump-3 = Drive M = 65 tons = 130 squares
Maneuver-1 = Drive F = 11 tons = 22 squares
Power Plant-3 = Drive M = 37 tons = 74 squares

As I update and detail the deckplans, I’ll also be creating a MegaTraveller stat block, as that’s MTU.

Suggestions are always welcome.

Attachments

• Exploration 7-19-2022 WIP.pdf
    91.5 KB · Views: 87
I was thinking about odd shapes, but also the "bulky" shapes of the larger adventure-class ships.

For example, the Mercenary Cruiser conveys the sense of bulk with a sphere that has big 'ol elephant legs.

Then there's the Leviathan, which gives the impression of a complicated monstrosity. I note that the other GW ships in "IISS Ship Files" often have that clumsy/bulky look and feel to them that is frankly endearing.

I've been plugging away at this on and off for the past few months. The Explorer Class has spawned two additional ships based on the same hull frame: a Type-C Mercenary Cruiser--overall much less popular than the Broadsword; and an Armed Merchant--a highly successful design. It's fun working on a deck plan knowing there are two other versions with very different purposes.

Happy New Year!

Final Proof Copy. Let me know of anything I need to update.
I am not familiar with this ship at all, not having seen any issues of MTJ.
Could you possibly give a crew description/duty breakdown? Parsing out the Flt/Eng staff could be done from the plans.
This would be a interesting encounter for my campaign.

I am not familiar with this ship at all, not having seen any issues of MTJ.
Could you possibly give a crew description/duty breakdown? Parsing out the Flt/Eng staff could be done from the plans.
This would be a interesting encounter for my campaign.
This is a CT design from FASA. Here is the general ship description from Adventure Class Ships Volume 2:

Crew: 6 officers, 13 crewmen, 8 security personnel. Provision for up to 20 researchers, scientists, or additional security troops.

Comments: A common ship in frontier areas such as Reaver’s Deep or the Far Frontiers, the 800-ton survey cruiser is the exploration form of the Type C ship (Traveller Book 2), as the Broadsword is the military version. Fitted out for prolonged operations in a variety of circumstances, the Survey Cruiser is usually owned by larger research institutions or by companies which charter vessels for such institutions.

The Type C is supposed to be 800 dtons. The Broadsword is the over-sized variant (by deck plan and dimensions). The original description in Book 2 even mentions that the Type has multiple uses. This and the JG flying LEGO collection are the only other two to see print with decent plans. The T4 version is... interesting, and the T20 version doesn't have plans.

I was thinking about odd shapes, but also the "bulky" shapes of the larger adventure-class ships.

For example, the Mercenary Cruiser conveys the sense of bulk with a sphere that has big 'ol elephant legs.

Then there's the Leviathan, which gives the impression of a complicated monstrosity. I note that the other GW ships in "IISS Ship Files" often have that clumsy/bulky look and feel to them that is frankly endearing.
...which I thought was an interesting contrast to Zho ships, which looked sleek and agile in comparison to 3I vessels.

...which I thought was an interesting contrast to Zho ships, which looked sleek and agile in comparison to 3I vessels.
Prior to the Mongoose stuff, we saw three architectural modes for Zhodani hulls: the most common is the sleek and organic look, typified by the Zhdits and the Ninz. The other two are about the same frequency in published materials: the crystalline approach, as seen on the Fanzhienz, Chatl, and the hybrid of sleek and crystalline, the Stedlas; and the boxy utility hulls, notably the Vlezhdatl and the the patrol cruiser in IISS Ship Files.

The oddball art from Leviathan would later become the Shivva, and is arguably another hybrid.
The Noql from early Imperiallines is a boxy design.

Mongoose added, or re-emphasized, the fourth, originally depicted in the CT Zhodani book but given no further exposure: the relatively mundane winged lifting bodies.

Despite stylings, the CT designs all shared a few other features: sub craft are fairly common, including fighters, and the M-Drive vents are rarely on the aft-most part of the hull; there is almost always some hull, frequently a "tail", aft of the drive vents.

Back