• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Updated: Traveller Universe Creator

Bartleby

SOC-12
Peer of the Realm
My ongoing lifetime mission to build a Traveller Universe creator and browser has reached a small milestone.

Version 0.2 is fully operational for making traveller sectors without having programming experience or a python runtime.

With a new menu and a simple exe, Windows users should be able to make use of this should they find it agreeable.

All you need is the TUC.zip file from here: https://github.com/bartlebythecoder/traveller-universe-creator

Unzip it in a dedicated folder and click on the EXE file.

You should see a blank screen for ten seconds and then a menu will come to life. I will post some screen shots below.

Here is the current bland but functional run time menu. It will let you change some of the options on creation.

menu.jpg

After clicking "Build The Sector" two files should appear in the same directory.

The first is a text file showing the UWPs in T5 format.

travmap.jpg

This is already formatted to be cut and paste into Traveller Map:

travmap%20graphics.jpg

You also get a DB file with more data about the stars and non mainworlds. This file can be searched and browsed with this free software:
https://sqlitebrowser.org/

Here is the T5 table:
t5%20stats.jpg

and the table for non mainworlds:
non_mw.jpg

and every die roll is recorded in the DB, so if something looks off you can go look up the roll that created it. Helpful for me when I am debugging but also interesting as a universe creator.
dice_rolls.jpg

Some final thoughts for those that might be interested.

1) The science aspect (stellar stats, world size, density, temperature) was all created using First In

2) The Traveller aspect of each world was built using the T5 ruleset

3) The sector created should be able to work within just about any Traveller ruleset.

4) Some of the things you have control over:
- System density (from the menu)
- Planet naming (from a CSV file included)
- Stellar data (from txt files included)

5) Stuff not included at this point
- Xboat routes
- Gas Giant moon stats
- Planets around secondary and tertiary stars
- Stellar or orbital data for any distant companions of second or third stars
- Graphic output (using Travellermap at the moment)

Last edited:
Looks interesting and useful, Thanks

Can you reprise the system requirements?
FWIW I use Parallels and an older Mac.

Thank you both for the replies.

Marc,

If you have a Python 3.6 environment then the code should work without a problem.

If you are running the .exe version, I have only tried it with Windows 10 64bit machines and would be interested in seeing how it performs on Parallels.

Please do report back.

Another update - two years later.

The program has been updated to include all stellar bodies and planets around all stellar bodies.
Thanks to @willtron3030 I have learned that the author of FIrst In is producing a new document with up to date cosmology creations and I have used those rules to create the number of moons around each planet.

In my next update I will include the moon details (size and gravity etc) in the full orbital details table and I will have every ball of rock listed in the created sector available and specced out.

Constraints:
- You need a python env to run it at the moment
- No GUI interface yet, all of the details are in database tables, so you will need to be comfortable with SQL to get the details (should not be a problem if you have your own python env)

Positives:
- Create every single star, planet, and moon in an entire Sector with a touch of a button, and create traveller stats (including the extra T5 stats) for all of the planets (and soon moons)
- The creation includes a text file you can load into Traveller Map and get to see your sector through that beautiful lens (no routes yet)

Maybe I'll have time next week to convert the data format it generates to the format my mapper uses. Can't wait to see how sectors will look from this.

Amazing I somehow missed it. Can't wait to play with it.

I would be happy to build an export that ports directly into your mapper. Do you have the specs published?

Looking at your code it may not require much work at all (possibly any) as you seemed to use the Travellermap format yourself. I wonder if I can just plug and play? Will try it out later today.

It reads the sector format that Travellermap spits out when you display the raw sector data. The app ignores the text in the Travellermap raw data that it doesn't use.

Last edited:
I have revamped the sector generator's GUI and filled in a number of gaps including full system details and, finally, a routes xml file for TravellerMap.

I made a video overview here:

Another year later...

This looks amazing - just what I need for my planned homebrew Traveller setting. However, I'm a newb when it comes to Github. Can you pls let me know exactly how to get the TUC.zip file you describe in your original post? Thx

I have managed to whip up a quick and dirty .exe version of the file. It is too big for GitHub so I zipped the whole thing up and posted it to GDrive and it can be found here:

Some quick notes:

1) Unzip the entire thing and look for the "generate menu.exe" and "browse sector.exe". Those are the two executables.
2) Warning - this was done in a quick and dirty way and I have limited experience with creating exe's. This has resulted in a solution that is very very slow to get started. When you click an exe nothing will happen for 5 - 10 seconds, and then you will only see a black window for 30 seconds. Just when you think it is not working, the program should appear on your desktop.

Alas I think this only works for Windows PCs. I have not yet figured out how to build an exe on a Mac product using a Windows machine.

Back