• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Uniforms

There isn't anyhing official outside of a couple of comments buried in GURPS Traveler.

I think most of us accept that the Marines wear maroon and the Navy wear black or dark blue. My Scouts are issued dove gray, although they are likely to wear hawaian shirts, bowling shirts, fishing vests, stetsons, shorts, fedoras...

Do a search (top of page) for "uniforms". I got 24 matches.
Imperial Army/Marine Rank Insignia
Imperial Uniforms and Insignia
Uniforms

Not quite true, Uncle Bob, unless you discount stuff in the Traveller's Digest. There was an article which went into fairly extensive detail on the uniforms of the Terran Occupation Force (Marines). It differs (unfortunately) from the GURPS:Ground Forces stuff. But it was pretty well thought out and nicely presented. I forget the issue number, but could find it sometime if anyone is curious.... a great article.

The Scouts are the only ones we know much about - they've appeared on the covers of several (mostly MT) books. Mid-blue jumpsuits.

An Osprey-style "Uniforms of the Imperial Forces" book has been high on many peoples wishlist for years.

Diferent sectors may have different or altered unfiroms. different client state, different cuniform?

I think that the Imperium would have a fairly constant uniform throughout its Domain. On the other hand, a decentralized entity such as the Solomani Confederation would have a multitude of uniforms with the standard jet black jump suit being a type of dress uniform.

Naturally, different client states would have different uniforms as they are the subset of the larger Imperium.

...btw, don't get so happy about modelling the 3i uniforms after Japan or even the United States. Once when I asked Marc about uniforms, he sent me a copy of the snapshot illustrations which made the 3i troopers look like Roman centurians with spacesuits...

My vote would be also for a deep navy blue or even black. I think that you have captured very well what we have seen previously in Traveller products. Afterall, if it was left to me...

O
|
/ \

whoops, I did it again, where are the arms??? Keep up the great work and hopefully we may inspire the artists on staff to only perfect your drawing.

Canonical sources used Starbursts for officer ranks. 1-3 small silver ones for 01-03; 1-3 Larger gold ones for O4-O6; stars for the grades of admiral. We see examples in several bits of artwork throught various books.

TD15 (IIRD, it is 15), with the data on it mentions the use of JIS ranks (Joint Imperial Services) to be worn upon the epaulette or upon the collar. It also provides a system of enlisted ranks using dots on squares.

IMTU, I use a similar set of uniforms, but of black with a division color wedge, and with rank on epaulettes, and trouser and long-sleeve cuffs. The jacket is the Service jacket; like PLST's it looks like the B5 pattern. Ship names are often worn on a tab above the starburst.

PT and Office uniforms are typically crew-neck, much like his duty uniform, with ranks stencilled on the sleeves and front and back of the collar.

Duty uniforms, however are VERY different; per TNE, they are the Light Duty vacc suite indepartment colors. (Line = black, drives = red, guns = yellow, etc...)

the formal dress jacket is equipped with gold or silver trim for officers, plus a high "Foldover" collar ala many anime uniforms (think Cpt Gloval's collar in Robotech/Macross), a waist length cape, and augilletes (cords) matching in number and color to the pips; admirals wear cross-chest lanyards.

Marine dress uniforms are described in several semi-canonical places as being maroon tunics with black trim, and black trousers; ranks on epaulettes. So I use it. I have several differnet battle uniforms: CES for non-vacc-suited troops, Cbt armor for most ground troops, Battle Dress for the heavy infantry and lift infantry, and the LD vacc suit for most vehicular troops.

Army uniforms are extremely variable; the typical duty uniform for TL 9+ is defined in Mercenary as the CES... usually in cammoflague.

Scout uniform is defined in several places as the TL 15 Tailored vacc suit, in SS blue with the sunburst in red. I use a silk or equivalent Tunic and Trouser with Ball Cap and dress belt combo for a scout service dress uniform.

It wouldn't suprise me if uniforms for shipboard use were actually skinsuits (a type of spacesuit which is tight to the body and non-bulky) or another type of light-weight vaccsuit. The faceplate could be attached to a "hood" which is simply pulled over the head and sealed. This makes for quicker suit-up when general quarters is sounded.

This assumes that the skinsuits would be comfortable and flexible enough for regular use and any life support apparatus would be light enough to not be a problem. Alternatively, helmets with life support gear could be at stations all over the ship. Then you only need to grab a helmet, seal it on, and you're ready to go.

I just read Aramis' post after typing all this, and his mention about TNE seems to be close to what I was talking about. I don't think things would be color-coded by department in MTU though, too trek-ish.

It is trekish indeed , milord, but practical... consider the flight crews on the old Terran Aircraft Carriers... the colors of the shirts denoting function rather than rank...

omega.gif

Baron Saarthuran von Gushiddan gushed:

"It is trekish indeed , milord, but practical... consider the flight crews on the old Terran Aircraft Carriers... the colors of the shirts denoting function rather than rank..."

Mr. Gushiddan,

Yes, let's consider the flight deck crews on old Terran; specifically USN, aircraft carriers.

Most of the personnel working on a flight deck do wear color-coded smocks to denote the job they are doing at that moment in time. Change jobs and you change smocks. Some smocks even have alpha-numeric designations so that specific jobs within a general work classification can be quickly identified. These smocks are used because verbal communications are all but impossible on the flight deck, large pieces of very fast equipment are bustling about, and time is at a premium. The smocks are not a uniform, they are a tool of the trade like hearing protection or steel-toed boots.

One should also note that the rest of the crew aboard the carrier; all ~5000 of them, do not wear color-coded smocks. It should also be noted that the flight deck crew wears the same uniform under their smocks that as the rest of the crew.

Let's leave color coding to Star Blecch and Paranoia, shall we?

Sincerely,
Larsen E. Whipsnade, MM1(SW) - LPO #2 ER USS California CGN-36

Originally posted by Larsen E. Whipsnade:
Baron Saarthuran von Gushiddan gushed:

"It is trekish indeed , milord, but practical... consider the flight crews on the old Terran Aircraft Carriers... the colors of the shirts denoting function rather than rank..."

Mr. Gushiddan,

Yes, let's consider the flight deck crews on old Terran; specifically USN, aircraft carriers.

Most of the personnel working on a flight deck do wear color-coded smocks to denote the job they are doing at that moment in time. Change jobs and you change smocks. Some smocks even have alpha-numeric designations so that specific jobs within a general work classification can be quickly identified. These smocks are used because verbal communications are all but impossible on the flight deck, large pieces of very fast equipment are bustling about, and time is at a premium. The smocks are not a uniform, they are a tool of the trade like hearing protection or steel-toed boots.

One should also note that the rest of the crew aboard the carrier; all ~5000 of them, do not wear color-coded smocks. It should also be noted that the flight deck crew wears the same uniform under their smocks that as the rest of the crew.

Let's leave color coding to Star Blecch and Paranoia, shall we?

Sincerely,
Larsen E. Whipsnade, MM1(SW) - LPO #2 ER USS California CGN-36
Actually, Larsen, current US Navy promotional footage shows not smocks, but turtlenecks and vests (matching) for flight ops personell, both on and off the deck, with name and rating stenciled on the vest. Not worn over the duty uniform, but in lieu of the dungaree shirt. I've seen older footage showing the smocks, but not current stuff.

Now, ship's personell (as opposed to flight ops personel) are still being shown in stuff that matches my 1985 copy of the BJM... And aren't you off a Nuke-powered missile cruiser?

Personally, I think color coding is quite valuable. Look at some modern hospitals: color of scrubs denoting department/service. Makes it both easier to ID outsiders in your service, as well as making it harder to "Borrow for nefarious purpose" a set of scrubs... wrong scrubs for the target zone, more likely to have a badge checked.

... And aren't you off a Nuke-powered missile cruiser?
he may be, but I'm off the Vinson. the colored jerseys are worn while on a flight deck and while expecting duty on a flight deck, and not anywhere else. beyond that one sees no particular color distinction anywhere in the navy, 'cept that between the junior enlisteds (referred to as "blueshirt scumbags") and the chiefs/officers ( referred to as "the khaki").

Back